Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

May have converted another...

Options
Had a couple over for some drinks last night, which turned out till drinks till this morning. Tito's Vodka put a hurting on us. We went out in the yard and he says oh you have an egg. I told him about all the stuff I have cooked on it and how incredible. He says I bet for that price you know how many grills I could buy. I explained to him that this is a lifetime grill and how it's built. I brought him back in and warmed up some turkey breast and handed to him and his wife. It was hilarious, wife just looks at my wife and says Holy ****! All I said was yep. An hour goes on about it and they are going looking today at the large. In celebration of the conversion I may have to go get some big ole rib eyes today and stink up the neighborhood!
XL BGE Metairie, La

Comments

• Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    Well done sir! Stink away!
    Flint, Michigan
  • GATABITES
    GATABITES Posts: 1,260
    Options
    All my friends think I'm looney for cooking outside so much. They all think the egg is expensive, but love the food. I kind of let it go.
    XL BGE 
    Joe JR 
    Baltimore, MD
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
    That's cool they liked your food, but I'm trying to convert anyone, I receive no commissions, lol.
  • anton
    anton Posts: 1,813
    Options
    That is usually all it takes, a few bites. Or one meal, good job,another convert.
    :-bd
     Using a MBGE,woo/w stone,livin' in  Hayward California," The Heart Of The Bay "
  • jhl192
    jhl192 Posts: 1,006
    Options
    Good work.
    XL BGE; Medium BGE; L BGE 
  • Grillmagic
    Grillmagic Posts: 1,600
    Options

Nice! Life is to short not to make killer food!

Charlotte, Michigan XL BGE
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,347
    Options
    Eggcellent move.  However, over the years I have learned many times that while the BGE can produce great eats, it is not a "fire and forget operation".  It does take effort on the front end and sometimes during the cook to turn out quality food.  Some who think they are into the game soon realize it may look easy once it's chugging along (low&slow) but to get that performance and outcome takes some work.
    Hopefully they will become serious converts and exercise their BGE to the fullest of its capabilities.  Just an opinion and we all know what those are worth...
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • evie1370
    evie1370 Posts: 506
    Options

They are an investment, that is for sure. But I have never regretted it. The BGE has enabled me to meet many of my neighbors, and it makes me look like I am a genius cook..LOL! Yea I get teased about the costs, but I just ignore it too. Cause heh, you may think I was crazy to buy it...but you still eat my food!

;)

Medium BGE in Cincinnati OH.

"

"I don't know what effect these men will have upon the enemy, but, by God, they frighten me. " Duke of Wellington, Battle of Waterloo.
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    In the early 70's we owned an Hibachi - the inspiration for the BGE - but only used it for grilling.  The original didn't have a dome thermometer and, even though quite a few of my friends had one, we didn't know it would do anything but grill.  Throw in a dozen Kingsford briquets, squirt it with starter fluid, and light it off.  Once it hit temp - temp was when everything was afire - the steaks, hamburgers, etc would go on the grill.  The food tasted great ... seriously.

I offered the missus a BGE for our last anniversary.  She said "YES" and down to the local dealer we went.  The first cook was a steak ... sometimes in life things are better than you remember them.  That first steak was one of those times.  Wow ... how did that happen.  Honest, the rest of the cooking capabilities of the BGE came as a plus.

Joined the forum and found RRP there ... he introduced me to an egghead who I worked with about 20 years ago ... and told me of several others in the area.  My dealer is also a genuine egghead.  Between them and the forum, I'm off and running ... well, maybe crawling. Geez, it's like a secret society ... all we need is a special handshake.  This Christmas we're turning our son into an egghead ... the green with envy look got to the missus.

From my personal experience and from what all of you have said, it looks like the BGE virus is spread through tasting food cooked on them ... yes?

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    It's a product I have spent many Benjamin's on. And have no regrets doing so.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • CMCordial
    Options
    Spread the gospel!
    You can't make the Club in the Tub. Denver via Columbus.
    Lg, Mini & ol Webber
  • minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    Options
    That's a great story. I love it when that happens.

I took my SBGE along to a resort last summer so I could make some ribs (my son's favorite). We met some great people at the fire pit as we had some beers. They had just flown in from TX and realized at about 10:30 PM that they had not eaten dinner. I threw on a spatchcock chicken and an hour later he and his wife were trying it buy the egg from me! The two of them cleaned the bird to the bones. Still makes me laugh...
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • bo31210
    bo31210 Posts: 715
    Options
    Regarding no commissions. I have referred several people to our local dealer after seeing and tasting food off the egg. Many of these have ended in sales. While I didn't get a taxable commission I can assure you when I bought the large BGE I was compensated for my referrals. He also has made me a sweeter than sweet deal on a Yeti which I will pick up Christmas Eve for Santa to put under the tree for me! The conversions have been very worthwhile.
    In the middle of Georgia!    Geaux Tigers!!!!!
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    My new Doctor would like one, but lives in an apartment with his wife and kid. I told him the mini max would be great in an apartment. I have tried to convert my brother-in-law who has bought 3 gasers in the last 10 year's. He likes to cook on his deck and is afraid that it will catch on fire and doesn't like the price. My father-in-law thought I went to a lot of work to cook salmon. He said he would have just done it in a pan and be done with it. I find that if they are interested I will talk about it, but if not I don't push it. Kind of like how I treat religion. Don't push it if they aren't interested.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,026
    Options
    @Ladeback69‌
    I'm the same way. Friends and family know about the egg but I don't necessarily preach about it. I'll answer any questions but don't try to sell them one. I'll recommend the egg but also mention that they're not as fast as a gasser, will take time to learn, and can be expensive if it sits not getting used.
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • EGGjlmh
    EGGjlmh Posts: 816
    Options
    I am poor but if the EGG cost double I would still buy one.

1MBGE 2006, 1LBGE 2010, 1 Mini Max, Fathers Day 2015

• GASGUY
    GASGUY Posts: 111
    Options
    For what it is worth, I had a Vermont 5 burner for years. Was converted into a storage for all my BGE accessories after I purchased my Egg. Wife complains when she actually goes to use the VCS. Also, I have access to many different types of grills due to where I work. If I had to purchase another grill, it would be an Egg. In fact, turned a few friends onto the Eggs and all but one has had same results as I did. The one guy is too impatient and doesn't like the Egg and refuses to listen to us about using the Egg..................so hoping soon to add another Egg to my collection.
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    Hmmm, guess my theory of spreading the virus through food intake is wrong.  Got an e-mail this morning that our niece and her husband just bought a LBGE.  They live 400+ miles away and the only connection is the females in the family have an annual shopping trip before Thanksgiving.

Looks like my wife was infectious.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• TylerA
    TylerA Posts: 85
    Options
    I like my egg a lot, but I honestly think the food I made on my Weber was just as good.  i took me a lot longer to figure out the Weber and it wasn't good on long cooks, but I could get by with one again.  I do like the egg better though.
    LBGE
    Huffman, TX