Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Hudson's Lobster & King Crab Salad; Grilled Baby Bok Choy

While putting up all the books my 18-month old pulled off the shelf, I rediscovered the Hudson's On The Bend "Fire It Up" cookbook and did two dishes from it.

The salad is fantastic, almost like a ceviche but sweeter (and cooked seafood). Expensive though...probably would have been fine with shrimp instead of lobster and king crab, but what the heck.

The baby bok choy was great but I misread the recipe and didn't get enough, it called for 4-6 whole heads and I was thinking leaves. Regardless, very good and will repeat.

LBGE & SBGE.  Central Texas.  

Comments

• I'd eat that. Seriously like right now, I'm hungry.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    edited November 2014
    @CPARKTX‌
    Brother I don't know how I missed this post. Lobster is one of my very favorites and those look wonderful. Excellent job. Allow me:

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Brother those lobsters would not have made it to the green stuff. I would have devoured them right off of the grill the second that they were done!!

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• anton
    anton Posts: 1,813
    Forget the shrimp, you did it king style! Man that looks and sounds delicious.
    :-bd
     Using a MBGE,woo/w stone,livin' in  Hayward California," The Heart Of The Bay "
  • td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,821
    edited November 2014
    CPARKTX For those of us not as fortunate as you to own that particular cookbook, maybe you could share the recipe? Thanks in advance.
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • CPARKTX
    CPARKTX Posts: 2,095
    @td66snrf‌ It is a good book from a really good and unusual restaurant in Austin (available on Amazon.com if you are interested); here are the recipes:

Dressing for bok choy:
    1/2 cup Spanish or champagne vinegar
    Juice and zest from 2 lemons
    2 cloves garlic
    1 shallot minced
    1 ts sea salt
    1/2 ts black pepper
    1 cup EVOO

Purée and strain

Dressing for lobster salad:
    2 egg yolks
    1 tbs Dijon
    1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
    3/4 cup EVOO
    1/4 cup honey
    Juice and zest 3 lemons
    2 clove garlic
    1 shallot minced
    1 ts salt

Purée and refrigerate

Salad:
    Lobster
    King crab
    1/2 cup each, diced: red bell pepper, poblano pepper, celery
    1 cup mango, diced
    1 cup avacado, sliced

• @CPARKTX: Great looking food you had!!  We are big fans of Hudson's on the Bend.  I have both of his cookbooks and have taken many cooking classes at Chef Blank's house.  If you haven't ever taken a class from him, I highly recommend it.  Lots of fun and lots to learn!
    Kelley 
    Egging with No Joke Smoke (Bruce), enjoying small town life in Brenham, TX., the home of Blue Bell Ice Cream.  BGEs: XL, Medium,  1 MiniMax. 36" CookRite Commercial Griddle, and a Shirley Smoker.
  • CPARKTX
    CPARKTX Posts: 2,095
    @EggObsessed‌ I have done the cooking class a couple of times and it is a blast. Love the restaurant...but I think it has dropped a notice in recent years, what do you think?
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    edited November 2014
    Hudson on the Bend...In all our eating travels I rate this as one of the best.  Nothing yet has topped the French Laundry.
    Thanks for posting the recipe...Your cooking is always a winner.
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • @CPARKTX:  We had never gone to Hudson's until a couple of years ago, so I can't really compare it to years past.  I think going there is a really unique experience and will continue to go there.  My feeling is that it feels a little "dated", like from the 90's.  Chef Blank appears to have had a stroke and is no longer able to speak as clearly or move as well.  This could be part of the problem. I thinkn he has had to pass the baton to his chefs that work for him and is not as involved.  This is purely speculation, though.  As I said, I think it's such a unique place and very warm and cozy, especially if you sit in the room with the fireplace.  My favorite dish is the Hot and Crunch Ruby Trout!  
    Kelley 
    Egging with No Joke Smoke (Bruce), enjoying small town life in Brenham, TX., the home of Blue Bell Ice Cream.  BGEs: XL, Medium,  1 MiniMax. 36" CookRite Commercial Griddle, and a Shirley Smoker.