Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Did anyone use cornstarch on their turkey? I thought why not?

Options
My thanksgiving was today, I did a 12 lb on my medium egg using the amazingribs.com "ultimate smoked turkey method". Which I found to be delicious, moist, light smoke, and I thoroughly enjoyed the thin gravy, although my sister insisted we thicken some with flour and cornstarch,(it was great also,I won't lie)

Sides were bacon wrapped green beans, glazed with butter and brown sugar
Garlic mashed potatoes
Muffings ( stuffing muffins)
cranberry sauce
Pumpkin pie and pumpkin cheesecake cupcakes

I used the Simon & Garfunkel rub, with a little twist and a fair dusting of cornstarch on the skin, it was so crisp and delicious, we stripped most of it off and ate it whilst prepping.

I highly recommend the amazingribs.com ultimate smoked turkey method as well, it was fabulous.

That's me waving a hand, thanks for reading.

imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage
 Using a MBGE,woo/w stone,livin' in  Hayward California," The Heart Of The Bay "

Comments

• XC242
    XC242 Posts: 1,208
    Options
    Nailed It!!! I have a gray Thermopen also. They're actually the fastest (don't tell anyone...)
    LBGE (still waitin' for my free T-Shirt), DIgiQ DX2 (In Blue, cause it's the fastest), Heavy Duty Kick Ash Basket, Mc Farland, WI. :glasses:  B)
    If it wasn't for my BGE I'd have no use for my backyard...
  • mickstephen
    Options
    The most awesome thing about this post is the t-shirt you're wearing. 

The food is amazing, but the shirt rules.
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    Nice plate
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,528
    Options
    Very nice!  I also tried the same recipe, love the turkey and the muffings, but I must admit I still prefer mad max gravy. Next time I'll combine the 'likes' from each recipe!
    canuckland
  • anton
    anton Posts: 1,813
    Options
    @mickstephen, mostly they come at night, mostly.
    >-) :)>-
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Great looking plate!

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Awesome lookng plate!!

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @anton‌
    The bird looks spot on my friend =D>

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @anton‌
    I forgot to answer the question at hand. Yes sir, I have cornstarched turkey with good results before my friend.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• anton
    Options
    @SGH, it was so crispy the family and I were in there tearing skin off while I was slicing, it was hilarious and delicious. None really made it to the serving dish. I am a fan of the cornstarch on my birds.
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Options
    Everything looks great! As for the cornstarch, I haven't used it on turkey but I do use baking powder which has the same effect of crisping the skin.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    Options
    Nice job. Mine looked very similar to yours without corn starch.
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    Options
    I haven't done corn starch but I always use baking soda before letting it dry in the fridge overnight. Looks like your meal turned out great
    Dunedin, FL
  • anton
    edited December 2014
    Options
    @R2Egg2Q, @yzzi, 1 for baking powder, 1for baking soda, interesting. Thanks, I did the overnight fridge dry. Worked great.
    :-bd