Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Masala Turkey Thanksgiving

Options

"It aint never too late!!" (yes, I'm aware of the double negative).

We had Thanksgiving today on Saturday. Gives me a chance to get likkered up, enjoy all the Thanksgiving threads and posts on the forum and basically relax. Some prep on Friday, made the pie, and a side, then egged the turkey and cooked the remaining sides today. Had another family over, but it was generally a small affair.

We wanted to things differently this year, so we changed up some of the sides, and SWMBO asked for some "desi" flavors. So plans were made for a "masala" turkey, creamed corn casserole with feta and jalapenos, cornbread stuffing, and a chocolate espresso pecan pie.

Low on pics, but here's the gist of it - brined the turkey on Thurs night, pulled it out of the drink on Fri to dry in the refrigerator overnight.

The brine (because it looked pretty):

Made the pie from scratch on Fri, as well as the creamed corn casserole. Sat morning I lit the egg, indirect, 375°F, apple wood for smoke. Pan of broth, celery, onions, carrots under the bird. Turkey was done in about 2 hours (10#) then rested I the cooler. Made a masala butter with some rubs I had mixed at home previously - carom seed, cumin, rock salt, nutmeg, mace, cardamom, cloves, and some other stuff. Rubbed the masala butter under the skin, over the skin and melted the rest to inject into the bird. Vegetables and stuffing were cooked indoors. Oh. I also made paneer tikka since our friend's mother is visiting from India and she's  vegetarian.

The spices for the masala butter:

Le bird:

The masala turkey was not bad. Did not taste the masala so much, but it had a wonderful smoked flavor, so I guess it was good by me. The gravy made from the drippings was fantastic though! probably the best gravy I have ever made. The sides were also excellent, and I think I will skip mashed potatoes from now on and make the corn casserole instead. We make the vegetables every year (Brussels sprouts, sweet potatoes, etc) but added turnips, beets, and parsnips this year, and they seemed to make a big difference.

The pie was a big hit. First time I've made pie crust from scratch and it was pretty damn good. Used an old tip from Cook's Illustrated I think - substitute vodka for half the water in the recipe for the crust. The espresso flavor complemented the chocolate flavor very well.

The pie:

Caliprince's first Thanksgiving!

We had a great weekend with some friends, and I got to cook my heart out. Loved it.   Now, if you'll excuse me, I've got some drinking to do before bedtime.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.

Comments

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Awe, caliprince looks so serious in his button up shirt like he is about to attend an important meeting. :)

Nice job, looks like a blast!

Go drink some now, but if you wouldn't mind I'd really like if you could return at some point and provide the recipe for your chocolate espresso pecan pie.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    Beautiful bird, pie and kid. Sounds like a successful day! Bottoms up!
  • apinion
    apinion Posts: 470
    Options
    How do you like that sliding rack? Does it get too greasy to move slide sometimes?
    Louisianian by birth, Louisianian by death. Austinite for now...
  • Judy Mayberry
    Judy Mayberry Posts: 2,015
    edited November 2014
    Options
    At last! A picture of The Little Prince! What a hunky guy.

And what a terrific menu. Creamed corn is one of my favorite things but you have such talent for adding flavors...what did you do to spice it up?

Everyone is waiting for that pie recipe!

Judy in San Diego
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options

The pie was from Fine Cooking:

http://www.finecooking.com/recipes/chocolate-espresso-pecan-pie.aspx 

I had dark corn syrup and milk chocolate at home, so I only added 1/3 cup sugar. I used the crust recipe from another issue of Fine Cooking (not sure why).  Next time I might leave out one of the eggs though to make the texture more to my liking.

At last! A picture of The Little Prince! What a hunky guy.

And what a terrific menu. Creamed corn is one of my favorite things but you have such talent for adding flavors...what did you do to spice it up?

Everyone is waiting for that pie recipe!

Thanks! I added jalapenos and feta cheese to the corn casserole. Didn't do much to it, since this was the first time I made it. Now that I know what it turns out like, I may get more adventurous.

• caliking
    Options
    @apinion - Never had a problem with the sliding rack. I don't think I have used the sliding function of it much, but I don't recall ever having an issue with it in any way either.

• anton
    anton Posts: 1,813
    Options
    Looks fantastic, happy late thanksgiving, had mine today as well!!
    :-bd
     Using a MBGE,woo/w stone,livin' in  Hayward California," The Heart Of The Bay "
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,527
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Awesome, everything looks pretty, even the brine!  Did you use some brine in the gravy?  Cooked anything special for caliprince or has he graduated to some grown up food? Pie looks heavenly, love the perimeter pecan fence! Can't have that in our house though due to a family member's nut allergy.

edit: just noticed the nasal mist, is that your secret ingredient? kidding, hope caliprince gets well soon if that's for him.
    canuckland
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    Cute kid caliking!
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    Little dude is awesome! The grub looks delicious as usual. Homemade pie crust is delicious. This year we found real lard and wow is it great stuff in a crust.
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    Options
    That pie sounds awesome, especially with the vodka crust--that's life a life altering tip.
    Dunedin, FL
  • caliking
    Options

Thanks @anton & @Jeremiah.

@blind99 - real lard is the stuff that dreams are made of. Its available in the Mexican grocery stores, but I think SWMBO would blow a Nomex gasket. We had a hog butchered when we lived in Iowa, and when the meat locker called for the order, I had to turn down the offer of freshly rendered lard. I still regret that.

@yzzi - amazingly enough,  some vodka in the cook himself dramatically improved his day :)

@Canugghead - Haha! The saline was for caliprince's regularly scheduled deboogering... I forgot to remove it  for the pic! Our friends called and said they were eating pie for dinner because they liked it so much. I guess it is a keeper.

Didn't think of adding any brine to the gravy. I was wondering whether it could be used for anything as I poured it in to the sink. Oh well, I'll save some next time.

• blind99
    edited November 2014
    Options
    We ordered leaf lard. My wife does a crust with 3/4 lard and 1/4 butter. Super flaky! I'll try to post the link

http://www.grassfedbeef.org/Organic-Leaf-Lard.html
  • blind99
    Options
    Man I was a master at deboogering. I could have invented water boarding!