Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What kind of tree is this?

Options
I cut a lot of this tree up and am starting to wonder (after finding what looks like a cherry when all the leaves fell off) what type of wood it is.  Anyone know?  Sorry for the crappy pics.  Can I smoke with it?

Comments

• jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options
    What part of the country are you in?
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    Leaves resemble cherry tree.
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Trees look different region to region but it looks like what we call a sour cherry.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Reminds me sort of like a crab apple tree (could just be the pics though).
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Fruit and leaves look like persimmon. Tree bark, not so much. If so, the fruit is edible. Dunno about smoke wood.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• bo31210
    bo31210 Posts: 715
    Options
    Was thinking crabapple myself but also wondering if it is a persimmon tree. Kind of hard to tell. What region of the U.S. are you in @busmania‌
    In the middle of Georgia!    Geaux Tigers!!!!!
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Looks like one of those sideways cherry tree. Seriously the bark looks like what is on my sour cherry tree.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • TigerTony
    TigerTony Posts: 1,078
    Options
    It could be a persimmon.
    "I'm stupidest when I try to be funny" 
    New Orleans

• busmania
    busmania Posts: 414
    Options
    What is a persimmon tree? I am in Denver.
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    If it is persimmon, don't eat a green one!
  • busmania
    Options
    Btw. The fruit is the size of a quarter.
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Judging from the bark you gotz a cherry tree imageimage

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • FarmerTom
    Options
    theyolksonyou  ?   You haven't lived until you've tasted a green persimmon. 

Tommy 

Middle of Nowhere, Northern Kentucky
       1 M, 1 XL, a BlackStone,1 old Webber, a Border Collie, a German Shepherd and 3 of her pups, and 2 Yorkies

• theyolksonyou
    Options
    FarmerTom said:
    theyolksonyou  ?   You haven't lived until you've tasted a green persimmon. 

We made the most use of them after they were on the ground. The ripe/rotten ones make spectacular projectiles.
  • SGH
    Options
    @Mattman3969‌
    It's hard to tell by the pic and also not sure where he is at, but judging by the bark it looks like what we call a sour cherry as well down here in Dixie.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    Not sure of tree species but it's a hardwood, so it should be fine for smoking.
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • busmania
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Thanks everyone. It is definitely a dense/heavy/hard wood. From the two bark pics above, cherry looks closer (the bark looks nothing like the permission picture) but the bark on my tree is smoother than the pic. Again, I'm in Denver but who knows if this is a native tree or not.
  • busmania
    Options
    One more clue. When I cut a branch off, under the bark layer was a dense red layer (millimeter thick maybe) and then the rings of the tree.
  • Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    Options
    Also in Denver - looks just like the crab apple I have in my yard.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    It looks similar to the wild black cherry in my yard. Ours produces a small unedible fruit about the size of a small green pea and it is quite dark in color. A few years ago I had some limbs high up trimmed from it professionally and I used it for smoke and they were fine.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • RickyBobby
    Options
    Piss Elm :D
    My PitMaster IQ120 FREAKIN ROCKS!!!!!!! Current BGE arsenal: XL & MiniMax
  • Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,567
    Options
    Isn't it the wrong time of year for fruit on a cherry tree in Denver?
  • XC242
    XC242 Posts: 1,208
    Options
    I vote for crab apple Buy a pork butt on sale and give the wood a try.
    LBGE (still waitin' for my free T-Shirt), DIgiQ DX2 (In Blue, cause it's the fastest), Heavy Duty Kick Ash Basket, Mc Farland, WI. :glasses:  B)
    If it wasn't for my BGE I'd have no use for my backyard...
  • busmania
    Options
    Isn't it the wrong time of year for fruit on a cherry tree in Denver?

I took these pics about a month ago. The fruit does look almost identical to cherries with a stem and the same size. Bad smoke won't kill me will it? j/k...sort of.
  • XC242
    XC242 Posts: 1,208
    Options
    It will be fine. Go for it.
    LBGE (still waitin' for my free T-Shirt), DIgiQ DX2 (In Blue, cause it's the fastest), Heavy Duty Kick Ash Basket, Mc Farland, WI. :glasses:  B)
    If it wasn't for my BGE I'd have no use for my backyard...
  • SGH
    Options
    busmania said:
    Btw. The fruit is the size of a quarter.

I'm honestly not a tree expert, but it sure looks exactly like what we call sour cherry. I have burnt tons of it. Picking up 12,000 pounds of it Wednesday that a friend is splitting for me. Will post some pics of it for you.

Status- Standing by.

• canegger
    canegger Posts: 540
    Options
    Burn a piece and smell it
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    edited November 2014
    Options
    If it's seasoned, smoke it. It's the Colorado way.
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • TigerTony
    TigerTony Posts: 1,078
    Options
    @SGH -- "you're not a tree expert or a brisket pro" ... Are you being coy? ;)
    "I'm stupidest when I try to be funny" 
    New Orleans

• SGH
    Options
    TigerTony said:
    @SGH -- "you're not a tree expert or a brisket pro" ... Are you being coy? ;)

All jokes aside, when it comes to trees I'm only familiar with what is native to our area. There are so many varieties out there that I honestly hate to give advice unless I'm 100% sure. But that said the pic he posted is identical in appearance to our sour cherry. I can spot water oak and pecan a mile away with my eyes closed. But I burn several pounds of each almost everyday and have for years. As far as brisket, I'm not sure what they even are ;)

Status- Standing by.