Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Allergy issue - Butt - no rub, or recommend a rub with no pepper in it!

My sister is visiting Christmas, and promised her pulled pork made on my Egg.  Only issue is she allergic to all peppers(white, black, cayenne, etc.)  So can I do a butt without any rub, or is there a rub I can make without pepper?
Gregg
Large BGE Owner since December of 2013!
Marietta, GA

Comments

• RedSkip
    RedSkip Posts: 1,400
    edited November 2014
    Why not find a rub recipe you like and omit the pepper? Seems safer that way than trusting a Commerical rub.
    Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • Amazing Ribs has some easy mix rub recipes. Just omit what you can't have.
    Dan, Columbia,Mo.
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    I haven't tried it, but I've seen others do salt only.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Pink and Szechuan peppers are a different genus. Maybe see about those

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• +1 on amazing ribs. I just made their Memphis dust, all you need to do is leave out the black pepper
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    I think paprika is also in the chili pepper family so you probably want to omit that as well from any recipe.

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    The Skylight Inn in NC uses salt only, and oak wood. I have tried that and it's quite good. Try a test butt now and see what you think.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Mud Pig
    Mud Pig Posts: 489
    Easy enough, 1/3 cup kosher salt, and a 1/3 cup of onion, garlic, and crushed Rosemary mixed together. Season liberally. You won't miss the pepper.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Go Naked. It's quite liberating. Score the butt or picnic and use sugar maple wood or maybe a nice black cherry and pecan mix.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Mud Pig said:
    Easy enough, 1/3 cup kosher salt, and a 1/3 cup of onion, garlic, and crushed Rosemary mixed together. Season liberally. You won't miss the pepper.
    That sounds pretty good!  Will give that a test run.
    Gregg
    Marietta, GA
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,432
    This is probably the saddest thread I've ever read....   :(

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• Botch said:
    This is probably the saddest thread I've ever read....   :(
    I can't help it if my dopey sister is apparently allergic to pepper.  
    Gregg
    Marietta, GA
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,432
    Understood; it can't be helped but to be allergic to any food, much less my beloved chilies, would be sad... 

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• rifrench
    rifrench Posts: 469
    I could deal with a pepper allergy easier than that red meat allergy caused by ticks!
     1 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 1 KBQ and a 26" Blackstone near Blackstone, Virginia