Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wild Turkey????

Options
My father in-law says he has no idea how to make wild Turkey taste good. Every time he has it he says it is super dry. Any recommendations on what to do? I am thinking of treating it like beer can chicken with a bigger can. What other suggestions do people have?

Comments

• theyolksonyou
    Options
    I have absolutely no experience with wild turkey that's not in a bottle, but what temp has he cooked to and have you ever egged it? I have done two store (tame?) turkeys this month and cooking to a specific temp in the egg has blown away a cooked to time in the kitchen clock bird for moisture.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Tell him to toss the road kill and buy it bottled ~:>
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• bucky925
    bucky925 Posts: 2,029
    Options
    I agree with the above post's.   Pour in a bourbon glass with distilled  water and it will be moist and satisfying.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @Mbranson58‌
    Wild turkey is a tad different to cook than domesticated turkey. Why? The breast are no where near as thick on a wild turkey as the ones on a domesticated turkey. This is partly why many folks deep fry them as opposed to roasting them. However there is a sure fire way to grill or roast wild turkey with exceptional results. Cover the entire breast with raw bacon. The bacon is used as a heat shield and it also bastes the breasts while cooking. Once you cover the breast with raw bacon the cooking is pretty straightforward. Cook indirect at 350-375 degrees until a internal temp of 155 degrees is attained in the thickest part of the breast. Carry over cooking will bring it well into the 160's during the rest. The bacon can be discarded when the cooking is complete. For the record, I eat it. If you have never tried it, deep fried wild turkey is in a league of its on my friend. It's far and away my preferred method for wild turkey. I hope that this helps my friend.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out.