Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Spatchcock Turkey A Winner

Options
After two years of doing Amazing Ribs and MadMax turkeys, I decided to just spatchcock one and rub it with coffee rub. This was a little over 12 pounds. I did put an herb salt dry brine on it last night and left it uncovered in the fridge.

Other than that, I just let the turkey speak for itself. No injection or rub under the skin or drip pan with a ton of stuff in it. Did it 400 degrees raised direct. Wife said it was the best turkey she every had!

Thanks @Mickey‌ for the coffee rub recipe and inspiration to go spatchcock raised direct!

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!
Dawson

Comments

• theyolksonyou
    Options
    Nice cook Happy Thanksgiving.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Good looking bird. Do the same for wings, raised-direct-400. That coffee rub is very good on steaks as well.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• dawsonhull
    Options
    Thanks! I have been using it on almost everything. Haven't tried steaks yet though. I made plenty of the rub this time so it should last a while!
  • XC242
    XC242 Posts: 1,208
    Options
    Nailed It!
    LBGE (still waitin' for my free T-Shirt), DIgiQ DX2 (In Blue, cause it's the fastest), Heavy Duty Kick Ash Basket, Mc Farland, WI. :glasses:  B)
    If it wasn't for my BGE I'd have no use for my backyard...
  • dldawes1
    dldawes1 Posts: 2,208
    Options
    Looks like a successful cook. I did the same cook today...loved the MCR.

Happy Thanksgiving.

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !! 

• bodski
    bodski Posts: 463
    Options
    Great looking cook. I did my 1st spatchcock this year with similar results.

Cincinnati

LBGE, Weber Kettle

• dawsonhull
    Options
    Seems like spatchcocking cooks it just as good (if not better) in about half the time!
    500 Posts: 3,177
    Options
    I didn't have to cook this year, but this was how I was gonna do it, if I had too.  Besides saying it was great, can you elaborate on moistness, and share how long it took, and what temp you pulled it?
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • dawsonhull
    Options
    Sure - it was very moist and tender. Parts of the thigh were a little bit overcooked but were not bad at all.

Took 1:45 at 400 degrees. I let it go down to 350 near the end in an effort to slow it down. Pulled it when the thickest part of the breast was 160. Thighs were 185 (one spot was 190-5).

I could definitely see the difference spatchcocking made in how even and quickly it cooked. Don't think I'll go back to the "old way"!
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    +1 for spatchcock. @dawsonhull‌, excellent carving job. Thanks for sharing the details.
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming