Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Thermapen purchase

Options
I'm ready to pull the trigger on a thermapen purchase and figured I'd get the backlit version. I don't see any drawback to the backlit but I figured I'd ask experienced users if there were any reliability issues. So thermapen fans, I know they are more expensive and offer less colors but any negatives to a backlit?

Comments

• Melhill3
    Options
    not good if you are a lefty

• stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    My ThermoPop is backlit and love it. Sometimes when I start my cooks in the daylight, I don't drag my BBQ light out and the backlit function allows me to see without taking out a flashlight. Depending on your cooking situations, it's definitely worth it.
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • ChicagoEgghead20
    Options
    love the thermopop
  • Grillmagic
    Grillmagic Posts: 1,600
    Options
    Get the backlit, I wish I did.
    Charlotte, Michigan XL BGE
  • ads75
    ads75 Posts: 391
    Options
    Backlit came out a couple months after I bought my non-backlit. I would've gotten the backlit had it been an option. Easier in the darker winter months.
    Large BGE, Mini BGE
    Morgantown, PA
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    If you could manually switch the light on it'd be worth it. It seems that the light sensor is too sensitive and never frigging lights up when I need it.
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • cook861
    cook861 Posts: 872
    Options
    Get the orange one it is brighter 
    Trenton ON 1 mbge for now
  • Lowflyer
    Lowflyer Posts: 785
    Options
    Dropped mine in the fire yest. Pulled the bird and platesetter out and grabbed it. Let it cool and still works like a champ. I'll put pics up in a few.
  • Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    Options
    Battery goes pretty fast in the backlit in my experience.
  • anton
    anton Posts: 1,813
    Options
    I have the non-backlit version, I love it.
    :-bd
     Using a MBGE,woo/w stone,livin' in  Hayward California," The Heart Of The Bay "
  • Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    Options
    I have no trouble seeing the display on my non-lit model, but I cook in the daylight or under a lighted porch at night. It's been two years and I'm still on the OEM battery.
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    Battery goes pretty fast in the backlit in my experience.

hmmm, never thought about that, but it makes sense. OTOH my old style Thermapen is now 13 years old and still operating on the battery it came with! Can't beat that for economy!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • dldawes1
    dldawes1 Posts: 2,208
    Options
    Mine is not backlit...but I have had no trouble seeing it. I think the backlit would still be fancier though !!!

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !! 

• Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    Options
    The battery on my backlit one lasted less than 6 months.  I made sure to close it every time I used it.
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    Mine is backlit ... probably not a necessary option ... but then, the Themopen is probably not necessary. There are plenty of other good probes out there that are just a little slower on the uptake.  So, if you've convinced yourself that the Thermopen is worth the expense, then get the backlit one ... you'll never wonder if you should have.

Oh yes, buy the blue one.  It reads just as fast as the other colors, but a strange calming zen like feeling comes over you when the reading comes up.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
    I love my backlit thermapop, $24 right now.
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Jeremiah said:
    If you could manually switch the light on it'd be worth it. It seems that the light sensor is too sensitive and never frigging lights up when I need it.

That is very good to know...thank you. By chance, have you called to ask them about it. Might not be adjusted right.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    The backlight is a nice to have for most folks, not a need to have - really depends on your situation. Even when the temp is right I still look to the colour of the food before removing from the grill so I always have some light source other than the one in my thermometer. Regardless, if I was buying today, I'd go for the backlit version. 

The Thermopop is nice option, as the head revolves it is ideal for south paws. Another consideration is the RT600C - Thermoworks has it on sale for $16 and it is a great pen sized thermo. I think it might be the same internals as the Thermopop. It is dishwasher safe (not sure other than checking dishwasher water temp you would want to do that) The RT600C is backlit. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Jeremiah
    Options
    Photo Egg said:

Jeremiah said:

That is very good to know...thank you.
    By chance, have you called to ask them about it. Might not be adjusted right.

image I solved the issue otherwise. :D
  • ChicagoEgghead20
    Options
    @Jeremiah - your rig is glorious 
  • Jeremiah
    Options
    Thanks! It was made with scraps and $100. :D
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,761
    Options
    That's very nice scraps =D>
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • corb69
    corb69 Posts: 155
    Options
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Jeremiah said:
    Jeremiah said:

That is very good to know...thank you. By chance, have you called to ask them about it. Might not be adjusted right.
    image I solved the issue otherwise. :D

Very nice cooking area...
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    The backlight is a nice to have for most folks, not a need to have - really depends on your situation. Even when the temp is right I still look to the colour of the food before removing from the grill so I always have some light source other than the one in my thermometer. Regardless, if I was buying today, I'd go for the backlit version. 

The Thermopop is nice option, as the head revolves it is ideal for south paws. Another consideration is the RT600C - Thermoworks has it on sale for $16 and it is a great pen sized thermo. I think it might be the same internals as the Thermopop. It is dishwasher safe (not sure other than checking dishwasher water temp you would want to do that) The RT600C is backlit. 

I have used all three. The RT600c was great for the price but the display is small.  It lacks the auto-off feature, so I was constantly putting in new batteries because I would forget to shut it off. I bought the Thermapen when the backlit version came out, but don't love it as much as others do. The Thermopop was purchased to leave outside by the eggs, for the  times when I forget the Thermapen indoors.

The RT600c was a game-changer for me though, because it was the first "real" food thermometer I had.  I could finally cook by temp and not time. At this time, I would probably go for the Thermopop. 

The backlight on the Thermapen seems to work well for me. No issues so far. Running on the OEM battery from 1-2yrs ago.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.