Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Not a good start !!

Options
Went to get the egg fired up and the damn thing is frozen shut !! Aaargh ! Got some coal fired up in the bottom now. Hopefully I can get it unfroze quickly !! Gotta love Illinois in the winter !!

Danville, Il

Comments

• Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    I've been waiting for these posts to start. Good luck man!
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • Justacookin
    Options
    Sorry to hear that can't believe what I did went to fire mine up had about a 1/4 of used in the bottom grabbed another bag of RO and when I opened it cant believe it but I bought briquettes by mistake first time that has happened. Cant believe I am admitting it hear either.
    XL & waiting for my Mini Max Bloomington MN.
  • johnkitchens
    Options
    Hopefully that will warm it up enough to open.That would be too cold for me. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • mshump
    mshump Posts: 212
    Options
    Got it open !! Got a fire going and turkey finished prepped. Hopefully the egg it gets to temp a little quicker than norm so I can get the turkey done on time!

Danville, Il
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,836
    Options
    Sorry to hear that can't believe what I did went to fire mine up had about a 1/4 of used in the bottom grabbed another bag of RO and when I opened it cant believe it but I bought briquettes by mistake first time that has happened. Cant believe I am admitting it hear either.
    Are you already drinking?
    :))

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• mshump
    Options
    Got the turkey on, time for another cup of coffee. Damn I wish I had some Baileys sure would make things just a hair easier.
    Danville, Il
  • snakedriver
    Options

Are you already drinking?
    :))

I am. Egg and turkey are going without requiring my intervention. Remote thermometer will tell me the skinny so I may nurse my liquor inside where it's warm.

Good luck, eggheads! And cheers

Jerry
    Northwest Georgia mountains
  • Justacookin
    Options
    Can't use that for an excuse yet I probably was when I bought it though.
    XL & waiting for my Mini Max Bloomington MN.
  • mshump
    Options
    The turkey came out good. I brined it and to be honest I didn't taste any difference between brining or cooking a butterball and doing some injections. I used OO and some pecan chunks for smoke.
    Danville, Il
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    @snakedriver‌ where u at in the nwga mtns?
  • snakedriver
    Options
    @theyolksonyou‌ I'm tucked away largely from the bustle and crowd, thereby likely promoting my mental well being and diminishing my chances of incarceration in the very near vicinity of Cloudland Canyon State Park. This is the most extreme northwest Georgia county, Dade County; suited for extreme folk like yours truly.
  • Black_Badger
    Options
    I ran into this for the first time yesterday. Thankfully I'd seen posts just like this and knew what to do. A couple of paper towels with corn oil into the bottom vent (which was ALSO frozen shut) and she was up to temp in no time. I'll post more of the cook/story later, but I just wanted to mention that you're not alone.

Thankful for all the great info on this forum, or I'd have been in full panic mode...

Cheers -
    B_B

Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    @snakedriver‌ should have guessed dade. Not a lot of mountains here on the west side of the state. We're down here in the valley in dalton.
  • snakedriver
    Options
    @theyolksonyou‌, well hello, neighbor. Come to the hill country some time and do some shooting or lying or contemplating or just spend some woods time, and show me how to work this egg. Glad to hear from you!

Jerry
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,761
    Options
    mshump said:
    Went to get the egg fired up and the damn thing is frozen shut !! Aaargh ! Got some coal fired up in the bottom now. Hopefully I can get it unfroze quickly !! Gotta love Illinois in the winter !!

77 in Central California Today :)>-
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Coastalcooker
    Options
    It was cold in Florida this morning, but a little warmer further north. No frozen eggs today though. I love the south especially in the winter.
    Bob
    Cookin' on the coast
    Shellman Bluff, GA
    Medium BGE

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,889
    Options
    mshump said:
    The turkey came out good. I brined it and to be honest I didn't taste any difference between brining or cooking a butterball and doing some injections. I used OO and some pecan chunks for smoke.

@mshump - curious where you bought your OO. I'm over here next to Peoria. Good lookin bird BTW.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • mshump
    Options
    @RRP  I got the OO from Firecraft, Over in this area of IL, I have to drive about 40 miles into Indiana to get BGE lump(that is the best around here) last time my Wife picked up 5 bags and was nearly 130.00, so I placed an order through Firecraft. I am very happy with them and will order more through them until someone in this area starts getting some decent lump in.

Danville, Il
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options

@mshump ... about 25 miles north of you is the Olympic Hardware in Hoopeston, IL.  They're listed as stocking Rockwood.  You might give them a call and check it out ... then report back ... at 90 miles away, it's my closest Rockwood supplier.

Royal Oak (BGE's supplier) is available in your local Wally World ... order online for pickup in the store.  Cheaper way to go for the same charcoal.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• mshump
    Options
    @Jeepster47  Thanks for the info !!! I ordered Rockwood with my OO. I have to be honest. I didn't have good luck with the RW. On Low and slow I chased temp all day. It does burn hot but I can't get it to last. OO works great every time I use it. I am perplexed on the RW because everyone else talks it up.  Once spring gets here and I have time to play more with the egg without wondering if I will get frostbit, I will have another go around with it because I do like the lighter smoke flavor it gives the food. I do really like a steak on RW
    Danville, Il