Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I ended up removing the entire breast bone. Question...

Options
jls9595
jls9595 Posts: 1,533
I'm cooking my turkey tomorrow and after I spatched it I tried to break the breast bone so it would lay a little more flat. It broke to one side so it was pretty uneven. I just removed the whole sternum. How will this affect my cook? Should I use a rack under the breast to prop it up a bit? Thanks
In Manchester, TN
Vol For Life!

Comments

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,528
    edited November 2014
    Options
    That's interesting, I'm thinking may be propping with few whole potatoes and onions, instead of a rack?  Hopefully they'll help protect the sternum-less breast from cooking too fast?
    canuckland
  • jls9595
    Options
    sounds good, just put them on the v-rack? I plan on going raised direct.
    In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options
    I would go indirect

Options
    paqman said:
    I would go indirect
    +1

You can also add a couple of lemons 
    :D
    canuckland
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options

paqman said:

I would go indirect

+1

You can also add a couple of lemons 
    :D

Lol

Options
    In my experience and opinion it will cook the very same. The only thing that would affect how it cooks if some of the meat is actually folded over or over lapped. Short of this no problem. You can easily tell if any of the meat is tucked or folded by both looking and secondly feeling it. Now for presentation reasons I might would prop it up, but it will cook just fine. Good luck and Happy Thanksgiving.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• jls9595
    Options
    thanks everyone, I'm going to the store for a lemon in the morning  :D
    In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!
  • Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    Options
    When spatching a turkey, don't you do it just like a chicken? I always remove the breast bone on a spatch chicken.
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    Standing by for the results.
    Spatching my turkey was a lot harder than doing a chicken. My shears just wouldn't cut through it. Once I got the backbone out, the breast just broke with a litte pressure. That part of the spatchcock was the easiest. Actually easier than most of the chickens.
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • Grillmagic
    Grillmagic Posts: 1,600
    Options

I have broke the breast bone more than once when spatching and removed it because I did, after doing it both ways I now leave the broke breast bone in it because I think there is a little flavor to be had from it, either way you will be fine and it will taste GREAT!

Charlotte, Michigan XL BGE
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    stemc33 said:
    Spatching my turkey was a lot harder than doing a chicken. My shears just wouldn't cut through it. Once I got the backbone out, the breast just broke with a litte pressure. That part of the spatchcock was the easiest. Actually easier than most of the chickens.

Swmbo said it looked like I was giving the turkey CPR when I was trying to break it down.
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    edited November 2014
    Options
    grege345 said:

stemc33 said:

Swmbo said it looked like I was giving the turkey CPR when I was trying to break it down.

Too funny. =))
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,528
    edited November 2014
    Options
    jls9595 said:
    thanks everyone, I'm going to the store for a lemon in the morning  :D
    lemons are for chicken, you should get a small orange?  :D