Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

The Cornstarch Chicken Thang

mollyshark
mollyshark Posts: 1,519
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Ok..I have a chicken. I'll find some cornstarch. So can I do a spatch cornstarch chicken? Just oil it up, season it, toss on some cornstarch..and I'm going to have the chicken of the century, right? Do you think it would work with like a poultry pal or would the sheer steaming of it turn it back into gumby chicken?[p]Ready to experiment and hoping my novacaine from this morning will wear off before dinner![p]mShark

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,667
    100_0181.jpg
    <p />mollyshark,
    i havent tried the starch yet, but have used the corn meal. i found with the cornmeal that you have to get the wings to not touch the chicken or you get a mushy paste instead of the crunch. i assume this would also happen with the cornstarch. i use lobster picks to lift the wings off the breast. will be trying that cornstarch soon

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • fishlessman, That bird looks like it ought to be holding a newspaper while , uhh , thinking.

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    IMG_0848.jpg
    <p />mollyshark,
    I have yet to try the yard bird with the corn starch, but I did go out a couple weeks ago and buy this shaker with fine holes. I think I can control the dusting better that way.

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • mollyshark,[p]I am cooking some split breasts right now with cornstarch. I have done a spatch with cornstarch. Works great. The only thing I didn't like was under the wings/legs It kinda stayed pasty. Could have been too much in there.[p]As for the Oil, I would say not to. You are supposed to poke a whole bunch of holes in the skin to let the fat render out. I use a bamboo skewer. That fat combines with the cornstarch and makes the "crust."[p]I rinse, then dry the meat with paper towel. Season, then lightly dust with cornstarch. If you season after the cornstarch, it wont stick.[p]I am using an old salt shaker for the starch. Not very good control. I added some elbow macaroni to the shaker, helped a little.[p]Its great you'll love it[p]Joe
  • mollyshark
    mollyshark Posts: 1,519
    Eggecutioner,[p]Sounds mahvelous. Of course I just looked in the fridge and discovered that AShark brought home (I asked for a whole chicken) boneless, skinless chicken breasts. Umm...change of venue here. Tonight's test shot to hell. Ok...how about soak em in something and grill em quick. Yeah, that sounds do-able. But just wait until this weekend! I'll show em.[p]mShark
  • ccrider,
    Now that's funny!!!!

Everyday is Saturday and tomorrow is always Sunday.
  • mollyshark,
    I did a cut up bird with the cornstarch. Wash....dry...season...dust. It really made the skin crispy. One friend asked how I managed to make such crispy fried chicken and couldn't believe I grilled it. Good luck this weekend and I'll try to do the paypal thing if I can figure it out. I do have an account but only used it on E-bay. Mik

• Drivr
    Drivr Posts: 163
    RRP,
    call me cheap but I needed one of those one day and used a clean peanutbutter jar and drilled a bunch of 1/16 holes in the lid. Yours looks prettier.

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    Drivr,
    naw, man, you're not cheap! You just used your problem solving ability when the need arose! I knew I wouldn't be having chicken for a while and decided to buy this shaker while I was "in town".

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Mik of Alaska,
    anyone remember that 'Oven Fry' chicken, with that old lady Telly Smelly?[p]that stuff crisped up great in the oven. turned out to be cornstarch and salt.[p]

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • irishrog
    irishrog Posts: 375
    mollyshark,
    I am in Ireland and we do not have a product called cornstarch. We do have a product called corn flour. Does anybody know if this is the same thing? Cornflour is used primarily as a thickening agent for sauces and gravy. You mix with a little water and add to the stock and bring to the boil. The sauce then thickens.
    I use this product mixed with very cold sparkling water to make a batter for deep frying. It gives a beautifully cristy coating. I also use to coat fish fillets when pan frying, instead of flour. It protects the fish and again gives a crisp coating. To apply I use a very sophisticated system, I put the corn flour in a plastic bag, add my S & P and any other seasoning. I then add the meat or fish, thist closed the top of the bag, and shake. It works for me, and I dont get cornflour all over the kitchen.
    Roger

• irishrog
    Sounds, and is , the same. It works great.....can't beleive I hae not tried it before. Funny how names and words mean diffrent things in US and Ireland (and GB). My cousins were visiting from Dublin with there 6 year old daughter......she had to go to the doctor to get a shot for a infection......she was very worried and upset.....so the doctor told her not worry as he was prepping the needle...."I'm just going to put it in you bum and you will only feel a small pinch" ....well, she screamed and ran like a Gazzelle....nuf said! Paul

• Charbon
    Charbon Posts: 222
    chickenface.jpg
    <p />mollyshark,
    Won't be the chicken of century but will be crisp. This one was stuffed,trussed,and cornstarched, upside down since wife likes more moist breast meat. You have my permision to make white mess in kitchen by using hand to pat starch onto seasoned skin (without oil). Good luck