Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What to do With this Whole Brisket?

Options
Kinger
Kinger Posts: 147
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I bought what I think is a whole brisket at Walmart tonight. It is about ten pounds. I have only ever done flats before. This thing is so much thicker on one side than the other. Do I need to trim it up? I have not taken it out of the cryovac yet and am not sure what it is really shaped like. In the cryovac it looks to be nearly 3 inces thick on one side and only an inch and a half on the other.[p]JNK

Comments

• Bobby-Q
    Bobby-Q Posts: 1,994
    Options
    JNK,
    That would be a whole Brisket with the flat and the point. If I was you I would season that puppy up with something good and peppery, like Cowlick, and cook it at about 225° until it is starting to get tender and then pull it and wrap it in foil and cooler it for a few more hours.[p]The point meat is very fatty and very good and the portion of the flat below the point is sometimes the best part of a brisket.[p]You'll have to cook it longer than you night be used to, but I think you'll see it is worth it.

• Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Options
    JNK,
    Try looking at this link for some idea of what you have.[p]Good Luck,
    New Bob

[ul][li]Cowlick Brisket[/ul]
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,740
    Options
    JNK,
    i would cook it at 225 with the thicker side toward the rear of the cooker. its a little hotter in the back of the egg and will help for a more even cook to the brisket. this also works for turkeys in the egg, legs toward the rear were its hotter. dont forget to wrap the brisket in foil at the end of the cook and put it in a cooler for a few hours. i like to cook briskets fat side down with a picnic shoulder on a rack above the brisket. this bastes the brisket during the whole cook

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Bigfoot
    Bigfoot Posts: 154
    Options
    JNK,
    As someone else said - Cook it with the point toward the back of the egg at about 225 degrees. I also always cook a butt or shoulder above the brisket to baste it the whole time. Go till tender (190 ish degree temp). Do not forget to foil it for a few hours after the cook - I am doing one next weekend - they always turn out GREAT

• BajaTom
    BajaTom Posts: 1,269
    Options
    JNK,
    I'm not trying to be negative but I've only seen USDA select grade meats at Wally world. I'm not a fan of select grade beef. My experience with select grade brisket has been disappointing at best. They come out dry and tough. I hope you have better luck. I always buy mine briskets at Sams. They are cryovac USDA choice whole briskets. This week they were $1.29 a lb. LOL, Tom.

• ccrider.disabled
    Options
    JNK, THe Naked Whiz's brisket page will help. Click below.[p]

[ul][li]Brisket[/ul]
  • BajaTom, Your comments about choosing choice over select are right on the money. One interesting statistic I read years ago was that on an average, four out of ten select steaks are tough. I guess those same stats apply to brisket too. LOL[p]
    It must be that proverbial cold day in hell because as much as I hate Mall-Wart, I will say this about them.......[p]The Wally World, in my town sells chicken parts for the same price or cheaper than what I have to pay at the Sam's Club fifty miles away. Most of the time, but not always, they have choice grade brisket packers for the same price as what they sell for at that same Sam's Club. [p]That being said, those are the only two meat products I will buy at Mall-Wart. Whole c-o-v briskets are the only fresh meat products sold in the store that does not contain that 8-12% pollution, I mean solution. [p]As for the chicken, in my research during my crusade against injected meats, I read where almost 90% of the chicken sold in grocery stores contains a solution of some sort. I still don't buy much dead yard bird there. I hate shopping at Wally World.[p]Like I tell my friends, "Keep shopping at Mall-Wart like it is the ONLY place in town to shop, and soon it will be!"[p]Lager,[p]Juggy