Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My Mad Max Turkey is done

Options
Cookinbob
Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
edited November 2014 in EggHead Forum
One of the challenges I deal with every year is predicting when the bird will be done.  It seems like every turkey has had its own schedule, some done sooner and some later than expected.  With trying to coordinate all of the sides being ready and hot at the right time it has caused some stress.  So this year I did the turkey yesterday.  Followed the Mad Max recipe exactly.  18-1/2 lbs, it took about 5 hours on the egg.  Now it is carved and packaged in foil trays to heat for the feast.  I have about 2 quarts of gravy which is so dark and rich it could be beef gravy,  and I have a gallon of really rich stock for soup and more.  Dinner around 4.

imageimageimage
XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
Rochester, NY
mm1.jpg 281.7K
mm2.jpg 312.3K
mm3.jpg 283.8K

Comments

• Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Options
    Excellent
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    Very nice. Our favourite on the egg for turkey. 

Did you get any of that lake effect snow that whacked Buffalo? Was wondering about you and @mark11....
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Cookinbob
    Options

Did you get any of that lake effect snow that whacked Buffalo? Was wondering about you and @mark11....
    Thanks for your concern!  

We did not get the snow, only 1-2" here, but it really screwed things up anyways. 140 miles of  I-90 was closed for 4 full days. Mail, UPS, and lots of other deliveries just did not happen!
    My son lives in Buffalo, and he only got 3-4" at his house, though is ready to close on a hew house in a location that got 7 feet!

Believe it or not, all that snow is already melted and gone!
    Rochester, NY
  • bo31210
    bo31210 Posts: 715
    Options
    Nice bird   Looks great!
    In the middle of Georgia!    Geaux Tigers!!!!!
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Man that looks great. Now you have me wondering if I used enough butter on my bird! 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options
    Very nice bird. Well done sir.
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • cortguitarman
    Options
    Mine is on now. This is my first attempt at the Mad Max method.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    @Cookinbob‌
    We did not get the snow, only 1-2" here

you do realize in Nashville that would cause a run on bread and milk...we'd probably go "Donner Party".

Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • TigerTony
    TigerTony Posts: 1,078
    Options
    @Cookinbob‌ - Beautiful! Happy Thanksgiving!
    "I'm stupidest when I try to be funny" 
    New Orleans

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Lovely color on that bird!

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • dldawes1
    dldawes1 Posts: 2,208
    Options
    Cookinbob  ....I have not read/examined the Mad Max recipe/instructions yet.  When I saw your first pic, I thought that was Mayo all over the turkey !!!!

Wow, it sure turned out a beautiful color. Great looking cook !!!

Happy Thanksgiving !!

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !! 

• Sammi
    Sammi Posts: 598
    Options
    Now that's a Butterball.
    Very nice results.
    Sudbury, Ontario
  • Little Steven
    Options
    A work of art!

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Cookinbob
    Options
    Thanks all for the positive feedback!

@dldawes1, you gotta try the Mad Max recipe.  It is a ritual cook with excellent results.
    Rochester, NY
  • SMITTYtheSMOKER
    Options
    I do believe that is the best looking bird I've seen all day on the internets. Nice job.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• Cookinbob
    Options
    I do believe that is the best looking bird I've seen all day on the internets. Nice job.
    I consider that a high compliment from a professional.  Thanks!
    Rochester, NY
  • DeltaNu1142
    DeltaNu1142 Posts: 266
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I did a Mad Max turkey this year for the first time... but instead of the butter, I wanted to use a coffee rub. Well, I'll tell you, presentation goes a long way. Your bird looks beautiful, and next year I'll use the butter paste instead of a dry rub. As good as my turkey tasted (both the gravy & bird got rave reviews), everyone first thought that mine came out charred. It was just covered in nearly-black rub.

Another mistake I made was turning the Egg down mid-cook because I was worried it was getting done too fast. We ended up eating an hour later than intended. I should have just stuck to the plan.

Lessons learned! I hope everyone enjoyed their holiday.
    LBGE | CyberQ | Adjustable Rig | SmokeWare Cap | Kick Ash Basket | Table Build | Tampa, FL
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    Nice job @Cookingbob

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • DixieEGG
    Options

My 2 cents on Mad Max recipe.

First off, like many have said, the color of your Turkey is unbelievable.  I followed instructions and mine didn't look that good.  Uneven color to say the least.

As for my opinion of the recipe, not impressed at all.  I have always done my turkeys on a Holland grill, seasoned with seasoned salt and lemon pepper, basted with a lemon/butter mixture throughout process and have always been great.  The herbs in the bird as well as the gravy was just too overwhelming, FOR ME.  Some like that, I get it, I am just not a fan.  The cooking process with the temps and ice was nice as internally bird was perfect.  Not real sure why I didn't get the external coloring to my liking but realize that is always a mystery as to how they can brown. 

Again, awesome looking bird there as it could be on the cover of a magazine!