Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Any good books on game cooking with BGE?

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Or good sources for techniques, timing and temperatures (inside and outside?

Comments

• djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    Options
    Bud:[p]What ya thinking about cooking?

• djm5x9,Not sure but I like venison, wild hare,etc., all kinds of wacky stuff. Need to know what works well with BGE-style smoking.

• djm5x9
    Options
    Bud:[p]I can't get the kinfolk to part with any deer other than what is ground. I get rabbits and quail (farm raised) local and they are great on a ceramic cooker.[p]Quail is grilled at 400º/425º till done. I grill rabbit at the same temperature. I brine both a couple of hours prior to grilling to insure a moist final product. I use a basic seasoning like salt and Kosher pepper or Lawry's as I want to taste the flavor of what I am eating. Regarding times, just use your "camp fire" sense . . .

• YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Options
    Bud Jones,
    This is a good site for venison.
    Larry

[ul][li]Venison Recipes[/ul]
  • Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    Bud Jones, I have done venison on the BGE with great results. I treat it just like beef (use a favorite rub or marinade). The thing I like is that by cooking it slow on the BGE I can cook it medium to medium well and not have it come out so tough and dry. My wife will actually eat venison off the BGE whereas she refused to eat it from our gas grill since it was either rare (and delicious but she refuses to eat rare) or well-done (and dry and tough).

• djm5x9,What internal temperature do you look for with rabbit or quail?

• djm5x9
    Options
    Bud:[p]With both I just use a little "camp fire sense" . . . I take both birds and rabbits and check doneness at the joint of the leg and the body.[p]With rabbit you have to be careful that the meat along the thin, long chest cavity and the fore and hindquarters all get done at the same time. Rabbit placement and turning is important, but do not open the lid too much. Hope this helps.