Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Turkey Question (What are the odds?)

Options

Hi everyone...Life got in my way and I haven't posted here for sometime. Putting a turkey on shortly and I'm going forth about whether or not to add water or water and butter to my drip pan. I understand it may help with the moisture, but won't it also keep the skin from crisping up?

Thanks!!!!!!!

If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under.

Ronald Reagan

Comments

• blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    You'll be fine. water in the bottom of the pan isn't going to change the humidity in the egg much imho. The skin will crisp when the fat tenders and the skin gets hot enough. I like to make a little air gap between the drip pan and plate setter with aluminum balls or pebbles so drippings don't scorch.
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • Dawgtired
    Options
    blind99 said:
    You'll be fine. water in the bottom of the pan isn't going to change the humidity in the egg much imho. The skin will crisp when the fat tenders and the skin gets hot enough. I like to make a little air gap between the drip pan and plate setter with aluminum balls or pebbles so drippings don't scorch.
    So no on the water/butter?

If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under.

Ronald Reagan

• grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    Little bit of chicken stock. Make sure you leave air gap between drip pan and plate setter
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• morrobayrich
    Options
    If you want to waste good water and butter, go ahead and put it in the drip pan.  Dry turkey has nothing to do if you add liquid to the drip pan or not.  Dry turkey comes from over cooking it.
    Morro Bay, CA
  • Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    Options
    Mad Max recipe puts 1/2 bottle of white wine in the pan, and a bunch of butter that is rubbed on the bird and drips off.  You will get great drippings for gravy which might be burned with no liquid in the pan
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • bo31210
    bo31210 Posts: 715
    Options
    I tried cranapple in the pan with a bird yesterday and was pleased.    
    In the middle of Georgia!    Geaux Tigers!!!!!