Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Spatch **** Turkey....Should I put anything in the drip pan or not?

Options

I 've got a 16lb turkey I am planning on cooking tomorrow. I plan on spatch cocking it and cooking it indirect @ around 350-375. I plan on using a drip pan and i wondered if I should put water or anything in it while its cooking. I really thought about putting a couple of sliced onions and a couple of carrots with a celery stick or two. Or would the added moisture prevent the skin from crisping up? Any thoughts.....

Comments

• BuckeyeBob
    Options
    I will usually add some chicken stock to help keep the drippings from burning. Also make sure you have a little bit of a gap between your Platesetter and drip pan. I usually use rolled up balls of foil.
    Clarendon Hills, IL
  • TigerTony
    TigerTony Posts: 1,078
    edited November 2014
    Options
    First of all either way you're probably not going to get crispy skin. I know some people do or say they do but the skin on mine is never crispy and I cook them direct without a drip pan. in my opinion crispy skin is not the tell-tale sign as to whether your turkey is a good or not. I judge mine by the taste and juicy tender meat.
    It's my opinion, but if you are looking for crispy skin you're probably going to be disappointed. You are just not going to get fried type crispy skin on the bge
    oh and if you're going to use a drip pan... yes I would put some liquid in it. maybe some broth or white wine and a little butter with your vegetables.
    "I'm stupidest when I try to be funny" 
    New Orleans

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    I never cook indirect spatchcock. Mine will be direct @400 raised Thursday. If you must use a pan please nothing but salt.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• PNWFoodie
    PNWFoodie Posts: 1,046
    Options
    Trying putting cornstarch on the skin before you put the bird on. Crispy, yummy goodness.
    XL, JR, and more accessories than anyone would ever need near Olympia, WA
    Sandy
  • AppyEgger
    Options
    Mickey said:
    I never cook indirect spatchcock. Mine will be direct @400 raised Thursday. If you must use a pan please nothing but salt.
    Mickey, What device do you use to raise the cooking level. I do chicken spatchcock chicken raised using three stainless steel bolts. I have been considering a adjustable rig from ceramic grill store, or a woo. what's your thoughts........
  • Mickey
    Options
    AppyEgger said:
    Mickey said:
    Mickey, What device do you use to raise the cooking level. I do chicken spatchcock chicken raised using three stainless steel bolts. I have been considering a adjustable rig from ceramic grill store, or a woo. what's your thoughts........

Adjustable Rig but the bolts work fine. image
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• loveTheEgg
    Options
    Mickey....do you cook yours that high in the dome as pictured above?
    Brandon, MS
  • thegooddocta
    Options
    @Mickey - do you recall any cook times for your direct spatched turkey? I'm spatching a 16lb'er tomorrow and am looking for estimates
    Mike - (1)LBGE, HeaterMeter v4.2.4
    Little Rhody Egger - East Greenwich, RI
  • Mickey
    Options
    @Mickey - do you recall any cook times for your direct spatched turkey? I'm spatching a 16lb'er tomorrow and am looking for estimates

12 lb is my normal cook and is 75/85 mins. I am doinf 18lbs Thur and thinking/guessing 2 hr

• Mickey
    Options
    Mickey....do you cook yours that high in the dome as pictured above?

the 12/13lb birds are fine that high. My 18.5 Thur not sure it will go that high but for sure on top of the Adj Rig. image

• loveTheEgg
    Options
    Cool
    Brandon, MS
  • thegooddocta
    Options
    @Mickey - thanks very much!
    Mike - (1)LBGE, HeaterMeter v4.2.4
    Little Rhody Egger - East Greenwich, RI
  • pileit1971
    Options
    Mickey,

Going with the direct on top of the AR Rig, have about a 15# bird.

I am also planning on doing a couple extra thighs and a smaller breast... what is recommendation on when I should add it to the egg?

Thanks!
    Large BGE
    Camp Chef 4 burner Griddle

Near Cleveland, Ohio
  • Mickey
    Options
    Mickey,

Going with the direct on top of the AR Rig, have about a 15# bird.

I am also planning on doing a couple extra thighs and a smaller breast... what is recommendation on when I should add it to the egg?

Thanks!

Sorry but just not sure what you are asking.

• pileit1971
    Options
    Sorry, going to Spatch'd the regular bird and wondering when during the cook should I add the additional pieces I got for additional meat.

Guess I should ask how long should I expect a 4# thigh and a couple drumsticks to take to cook, direct?  30min?
    Large BGE
    Camp Chef 4 burner Griddle

Near Cleveland, Ohio
  • Blewis212
    Blewis212 Posts: 26
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Everything I've read says, "No drip pan required". I was a playful mood and loaded a drip pan with about two quarts of Apple cider. The cider reduced by about half with added drippings from the bird. The result is sweets from the cider, smokey from the wood and thick from the drippings. I've stored it overnight in fridge to ease in degreasing. Tomorrow the play continues with questions like, add flower or not? More cider or will it kick the sweetness over the top? Right now it's like a sweet demiglace. Anyone have something like this?
  • laserdoc85
    Options
    I'm with Mickey on this one. Never cook any bird indirect. Set the dome around 300 to 350 and cook away .Let those those drippings drip on the coals. This adds flavor
    Jefferson .GA.  
    Been egging since 1985 on a medium egg
  • TigerTony
    TigerTony Posts: 1,078
    Options
    @laserdoc85‌ You shouldn't say "never cook any bird indirect".
    I've cooked turkeys on my lg bge indirect with drip pan many times. celery, onions, garlic, and butter a little white wine some chicken broth. the drippings are so delicious. You can baste the turkey with it, you can use it in your gravies andn on top of your dressings. I love the drippings. Please don't discourage people from using a drip pan. It's a good way to go.
    They come out wonderful!

"I'm stupidest when I try to be funny" 
    New Orleans

• laserdoc85
    laserdoc85 Posts: 577
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Either way works. Sorry my bad. I have done both and both turn out great. Never have had anything turn out bad with anything cooked on the egg. I just prefer the direct. Actually have a whole chicken that I will most likely do your way this weekend. The neighbor just made up a bunch of homemade egg noodles and gave us some so I figure I will cook up a chicken on the egg for chicken and noodles on Saturday
    Jefferson .GA.  
    Been egging since 1985 on a medium egg