Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Time for a Clean Burn?

So I've noticed the last couple things I've cooked has had a strong "charcoal" taste, to the point of tasting smoked when I'm not using wood.  I'm all for smoke, but I want it to be on my terms, and when I'm simply grilling, say a beef tenderloin, I don't want it tasting like charcoal.  I've had the Egg for 8+ years, and have never done anything to clean it out.  There is obviously a lot of black inside.  Is a clean burn the way to go, or is there something else I should do first?  

Comments

• jcaspary
    jcaspary Posts: 1,479
    It wouldn't hurt to do one.  Just make sure that if you get the temp up real high, pull the thermometer out so that it isn't damaged.  
    XL BGE, LG BGE, and a hunger to grill everything in sight!!!
    Joe- Strongsville, OH
  • Will do.  Thanks.

Is it normal for that type of taste after awhile, or was I potentially doing something wrong?  I had the Egg around 400 for nearly an hour before putting the beef tenderloin on.  Just seemed like the flavor/smell was too strong.  Happened w/ wings on the cook before this one as well.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,887
    Unless you regularly do high temperature cooks like for pizza or searing steaks at 600 to 700 then after 8 years and using wood to smoke I'd say you have a creosote build up that is now kicking back. A real telltale indication to me is when my dome starts to peel and separate! When bad like that I take a putty knife and scrape off the obvious crud and then do a burn out. I never control it or time it I just open up and let her rip overnight!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Thanks! I do steaks on there fairly regularly, getting it up over 700, but never for very long.  Other than that, it rarely sees anything over 400.  Want to start doing pizzas on there, but w/ that build up, or whatever is causing the off tastes, I'm hesitant.  May try a clean burn tonight to see if that works.  After the burn, do you wipe everything down or does the burn take care of it similar to an oven?  

Side note: Of course, I literally put a new gasket on about a month ago, and just put the standard BGE high temp gasket.  I'm assuming this will get ruined during the clean burn?
  • jhl192
    jhl192 Posts: 1,006
    I'd do a clean burn as suggested.  The other thing to do is to ensure that you are waiting for the smoke to flow clear.  Sometimes impatience creeps in and spoils a meal.  
    XL BGE; Medium BGE; L BGE 
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    JT_Thomas said:
    Thanks! I do steaks on there fairly regularly, getting it up over 700, but never for very long.  Other than that, it rarely sees anything over 400.  Want to start doing pizzas on there, but w/ that build up, or whatever is causing the off tastes, I'm hesitant.  May try a clean burn tonight to see if that works.  After the burn, do you wipe everything down or does the burn take care of it similar to an oven?  

Side note: Of course, I literally put a new gasket on about a month ago, and just put the standard BGE high temp gasket.  I'm assuming this will get ruined during the clean burn?
    Most pizzas like 500° (+/-) so unless you're doing high hydration 00 doughs, you probably won't go much higher.

The clean burn will turn most ceramic parts white as new. The dome doesn't lighten near as much though. Especially if you leave a platesetter and/or pizza stone in there. I wouldn't leave a grid in there. I did that with my oven self clean years ago. So much for bright shiny oven racks. After the burn, you don't have to do anything but add lump and cook.

You might get lucky with the gasket. Or not. I like my Rutland and would never go back to felt. Five years or so, some 900° cooks. It's a little dirty, but still works perfectly.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
     How long do you let er rip?
    New Albany, Ohio 

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,887
     How long do you let er rip?

like I said above I just let it rip and let it burn itself out.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • jhl192 said:
    I'd do a clean burn as suggested.  The other thing to do is to ensure that you are waiting for the smoke to flow clear.  Sometimes impatience creeps in and spoils a meal.  
    This last cook, I had it at temp (400) for nearly an hour before putting the meat on.  It was dark out so I couldn't see if the smoke was clear or not, but thought that should be plenty of time.  Looking more and more like a clean burn is in order.

To do a clean burn, I basically fill up the bowl, light it up w/ both vents wide open and let it cook till it burns out? If I burp it periodically, could that save my new gasket?  It's likely after this gasket goes I'll be getting a Rutland, but I'd like it to last more than a month... 
  • RRP said:
    Unless you regularly do high temperature cooks like for pizza or searing steaks at 600 to 700 then after 8 years and using wood to smoke I'd say you have a creosote build up that is now kicking back. A real telltale indication to me is when my dome starts to peel and separate! When bad like that I take a putty knife and scrape off the obvious crud and then do a burn out. I never control it or time it I just open up and let her rip overnight!
    I may be hitting you up for a gasket after tonight! I hear you're the man in that department.
  • Thinking about doing a clean burn as well. Can I leave my Plate setter in? It is black on both sides and would live to clean it but don't want it ruined
  • I did one last year. The first I did  on this egg that's 14 years old. Wish I never did it. Will not do another one. I feel my egg was seasoned and I lost all of that. Remember the more you cook on it the better it tastes. I'm on my third egg and never did those burns on the first two nor will I ever do another one on this one
    Jefferson .GA.  
    Been egging since 1985 on a medium egg
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    As said: """""pull the thermometer"""""!!!!
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.