Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Egrets Ham

Options
Central_Bama_Egger
Central_Bama_Egger Posts: 886
edited November 2014 in EggHead Forum
So, as per this discussion: http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1133627/maple-bourbon-ham/p1

I went on with this recipe. I have a spiral cut, fully cooked ham. The issue with injecting from what I could tell us it "running out" as you injected it. Using what small amount of brain power I have, I left the cryovac on the ham. I Cut a slit right before I put the needle in, as to not push any plastic pieces into the meat. Successfully, in my opinion, injected roughly a cup of syrup into the ham.

Then I mixed up the paste. I may, or may not, have had a sip or 3 of Jim Beam. Applied the paste to the ham.

Will be cooking it Thanksgiving morning, beginning around 5am or 6am. I'm assuming the spiral cut ham will warm to 140* rather quickly. Would you eggsperts concur?
Huntsville, Al LBGE

Comments

• Little Steven
    Options
    It's Egret man. He has a real long neck and a beautiful wife.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Central_Bama_Egger
    Options
    That better?

Sorry dudes. Some crazy auto correct. Please forgive me for the typo.
    Huntsville, Al LBGE
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    it's too late now, but maybe some one else can benefit - that heavy smoked skin on your ham will not hold the bourbon paste and when heated it will slide off like water thru a goose so have a drip pan under it. I found that lightly trimming the outer most layer will still retain the original smoke, but also let the paste adhere. One last hint which I call my porkepine trick is since the outer paste needs to rest over night or longer add "tent poles" of broken in half wooden toothpicks which will keep the Saran Wrap from adhering to the sticky bourbon glaze. 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • egret
    egret Posts: 4,170
    Options
    So, as per this discussion: http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1133627/maple-bourbon-ham/p1 I went on with this recipe. I have a spiral cut, fully cooked ham. The issue with injecting from what I could tell us it "running out" as you injected it. Using what small amount of brain power I have, I left the cryovac on the ham. I Cut a slit right before I put the needle in, as to not push any plastic pieces into the meat. Successfully, in my opinion, injected roughly a cup of syrup into the ham. Then I mixed up the paste. I may, or may not, have had a sip or 3 of Jim Beam. Applied the paste to the ham. Will be cooking it Thanksgiving morning, beginning around 5am or 6am. I'm assuming the spiral cut ham will warm to 140* rather quickly. Would you eggsperts concur?
    You didn't say what temp. you're going to use or the weight of the ham........however, it shouldn't take more than 3-4 hours at best. I'm going to do a half ham a week from Saturday at the Mothership using this same recipe while cooking with the No. GA Eggers........it's going to be a Holiday theme so this fits right in. Good luck with it and Happy Holidays to you and family! :)
  • egret
    egret Posts: 4,170
    Options
    It's Egret man. He has a real long neck and a beautiful wife.
    Thank you so much, Steven, for the compliment! I agree with the wife comment, but, I don't think my neck is all that long.........or, was it my "neck" you were referencing??!!  :))
  • Little Steven
    Options
    John, Why don't you pry a few Benjamins out of that wallet of yours and book a flight to Salado. I know he won't like to see the daylight but you would have a great time. And your wife is a beauty.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Central_Bama_Egger
    Options
    She's rolling.
    Huntsville, Al LBGE
  • Central_Bama_Egger
    Options
    All done. 250 for 3.5 hrs to 140IT
    Huntsville, Al LBGE
  • dldawes1
    dldawes1 Posts: 2,208
    Options
    Man I can't wait to do this one for Christmas.

Thanks for posting....great looking ham...I know it must have been good.

Ever since I heard of Egret's ham....I've been dying to try it..

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !!