Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

TREX question?

Jake
Jake Posts: 92
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Some help with understanding just what a Sirloin Strip steak as explained in TREX method? I know what a Sirloin is but not exactly sure if the strip is the same or cut of the sirloin? Groceries in Nashville area have Sirloins and NY Strips. Or maybe I just haven't been around?[p]Thank the good Lord for BG EGGS!!!!!!!!![p]Jake

Comments

• mollyshark
    mollyshark Posts: 1,519
    Jake,[p]Have no idea what a sirloin strip would be. I'm with you...sirloins and strips and don't see where they come together. Doesn't matter. Trex works on anything except really really prime stuff that doesn't need it and actually doesn't benefit by it. Strips work, ribeyes work, top sirloins work.[p]mShark
  • mollyshark,
    i'm pretty sure that strip steaks, new york strips, etc, all come from the sirloin. . .i think i've seen it labeled as 'sirloin strip' as well. . .. [p]btw, if i have a 2 inch thick steak, i t-rex it whether it select, choice or prime. . .i think it just insures that you get the perfect mix of char and interior doneness and texture regardless of grade. ..just my two cents.. . .[p]

• Jake, sirloin strip, New York strip, and Kansas City strip are different names for the same steak. They come from the short loin.

[ul][li]Beef Cuts[/ul]
  • mollyshark, the strip steak (NY/KC/sirloin/other names) is the larger side of the T-Bone.