Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Help-Which way is up?

Options
Trying to egg my first turkey- see  http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1173836/this-bird-isnt-flying#latest..     Now  my wife tells me it is upside down.  I don't know.  We have chickens and I know if you grabbed one and wacked its' head and feet off, plucked it and slammed it on the egg, that is how it is sitting in the rack.  Is this correct?  or does it need to be turned over.  May be eating hot dogs the way this is going.  I am sure the legs are towards the hinge.  That is bout all I will guarantee at this pint.  Pint was a typo, but may be closer to the truth.

Tommy 

Middle of Nowhere, Northern Kentucky
   1 M, 1 XL, a BlackStone,1 old Webber, a Border Collie, a German Shepherd and 3 of her pups, and 2 Yorkies

Comments

• Brisket_Fanatic
    Options
    Picture?

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,765
    Options
    Breast Up
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • FarmerTom
    Options

Damn, need to flip it I reckon.  Oh well.  Better luck next time.  Should have done a trial cook, I suppose. Do you think it will still be edible?  Anything I should do besides turn it over?

Tommy 

1 M, 1 XL, a BlackStone,1 old Webber, a Border Collie, a German Shepherd and 3 of her pups, and 2 Yorkies

• Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Options
    How long has it been on? If not too long then it should be fine. Is it raised direct?
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • Grillin_beers
    Options
    Can you take a picture and I'll be more than happy to tell you which way it is? Just take a deep breath man. It'll work out I promise.
    1 large BGE, Spartanburg SC

My dog thinks I'm a grilling god. 
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Options
    It will be fine.  Many cook breast side down for the first hour or so to keep the moisture in the breast, then flip to brown.  Even upside down the whole time you are good, just won't have the crispy golden skin on the breast.
    Options
    Tom. As long as the breast is 160 and thighs 180 you'll be golden.
  • FarmerTom
    Options
    Ok,   this is how it was oriented.  I have since flipped it over.  A smaller one would have fit better.  But there wasn't a lot of sizes to choose from.  It's about 15.5 lbs.  Have 10 coming to eat.  Didn't want to run short.  We do like to eat. 

Tommy 

• anton
    anton Posts: 1,813
    Options
    Is that a large egg?
     Using a MBGE,woo/w stone,livin' in  Hayward California," The Heart Of The Bay "
  • dldawes1
    dldawes1 Posts: 2,208
    Options
    UP is toward Carrollton.....as in "What time is dinner tomorrow"...that looks great man !!!!

I'll be doing my first one in the morning.

I am going with Mickey's Spatchcock with Mickey's Coffee Rub .

Can't Wait !!!!!

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !! 

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options

You have it breast side down. You will likely get some grill marks across the breast which is not a big deal, unless it is to you. I always point the breast facing up when smoking or roasting turkey. More important to monitor the IT though IMO. What dome temp are you cooking at? 

Hope it turns out great. Happy Thanksgiving!

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Options
    If the tips of the wings are pointing up, you are breast side up.

Options
    FarmerTom ....man, getting pretty good with that camera....making me hungry !!!!

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,485
    Options
    FarmerTom said:
    That is bout all I will guarantee at this pint.  Pint was a typo, but may be closer to the truth.

Okay, you answered my question.  
    :))

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• FarmerTom
    Options
    Will post finished pic later, I hope.  Flipped it to upside down, or right side up according to my wife.  I didn't know how to cook it, I just knew how it had spent most of its life. When I probed the breasts, (I hope that's where I was), the lowest was 160.  Wife thought we needed to leave it until that damn little button popped.  I trusted you folks more than that thing.  I pulled it, foiled it heavily, wrapped it in towels and it's ready to slice (I hope).   All else fails, Kroger had a real sale on hot dogs a couple of days ago.  Got some of them in the fridge. 

Tommy 

• dldawes1
    Options
    From what I've learned here...."Don't trust the pop-up button "" !!!

My instructions say 165* Breast and 180* thigh.

Hopefully after FTC, it will cook a little more (if it needs to).

• CANMAN1976
    CANMAN1976 Posts: 1,593
    Options
    Inverted on a rack aka beer can...legs up breast down and rotate to brown halfway!
    Hows ya gettin' on, me ol ****

Kippens.Newfoundland and Labrador. (Canada).
  • FarmerTom
    FarmerTom Posts: 685
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Sorry, no finished pic.  By the time I got it unwrapped, my hands were covered in grease and SWMBO was demanding I get it sliced ASAP.  She won.  Anyhow, everyone thought it tasted great.  But I learned a lot and think I can do better next time.  Will have to try a chicken now.  Thanks to all.

Tommy 

• dldawes1
    Options
    You de man FARMERTOM !!!

Happy Thanksgiving Tommy to you and your family....were you happy with the taste ????

• THE DRU
    Options
    Way to go Tom!! I bet that was a tasty bird.

Versailles, KY

XL, Lg, MM, Performer, Q