Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Apple Pie on your Egg.

Options
Really fun and pretty easy cook with excellent results. You can use either a CI pan or an oven safe ceramic pie pan as I did. Any recipe will work, 375 for an hour and you have a great Thanksgiving treat. 

Comments

• GK59
    GK59 Posts: 501
    Options
    I've made several , and yes they are the best. 
    Tonight I'm doing my second Pecan pie. Last year I forgot to put the butter it and no one was the wiser. 
    Happy Thanksgiving to all.

Egg On!

Smitty's Kid's BBQ

Bay City,MI

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    I have yet to try pies on the egg yet. Just lazy I reckon. Yours looks excellent my friend.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    Options
    I once did an Apple dumpling... (whole apple peeled/cored wrapped in pie dough with the usual apple pie spices/sugar)

DANG GOOD!!!
  • CincyTiki
    Options
    Looks great, did you go raised direct or indirect? Thanks.
    Enjoying life in Cincinnati, Ohio - Large BGE & MiniMax BGE
  • keepervodeflame
    Options
    If your baking you want even heat so indirect is best IMO. Makes your egg perform like a convection oven with a moving hot air current. I put a deflector on the spider and the pie on a grate at the top slot on the AR. Works well 
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Don't need a pie tin if you bake your apple pie right in the apple.

Options
    @tjcoley care to share the recipe? Thanks
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,660
    Options
    I've cooked them in the egg in the pie plate that the crust comes in. Yours looks great.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    I was wanting to do a recipe for pecan pie in a CI skillet, but it calls to cook for 30 minutes at 325 then another 30 at 300 then turn the oven off and let it sit for 3 hours. I want to do it on the egg, but if I follow this method it will cool down quick because it's cold outside. I also have a 20 lb turkey to cook for tomorrow night. Do you think coozing it a 350 for an hour would be enough or just do it in the oven?
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • CincyTiki
    Options
    @Tjcoley Thanks!
  • UncleFred
    Options
    I haven't tried a whole pie yet... but we have a large calzone press and make apple pie calzones on our egg all the time.  Set up is like you would for a pizza.

As a matter of fact we've made them after making pizza (and letting the egg cool down somewhat).
    San Diego, CA - Where I've mastered Curmudgeon..working on Recluse.
  • keepervodeflame
    Options
    Laderback. 

I slice the apples, put them in a bowl and pour on 2 table spoons of lemon juice and 2/3 cup of sugar. I let that sit for 30 minutes and then melt 4 pats of butter in my dutch oven. I add the apples and juice and cook until they are soft. I then strain the apples and save the liquid. I add the liquid to another melted pat of butter. To this mixture I add 1 TBS flour, I/2 tsp cinnamon, a pinch of clove, and a pinch of nutmeg. I add the softened apples and coat them well.  If you pre cook to soften the apples. I think your crust will set up at 350 in an hour. If not you could pop it in the oven to finish it. Happy cooking.