Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

If not in Chili, how else do you eat beans?

Options
2»

Comments

• Little Steven
    Options
    Stikeman called and asked me to respond to your comment as follows....

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Zmokin said:
    Look up any Indian dal recipe. I could live on them.
    I've stopped trying to like Indian food.  I've been to maybe 7 different Indian restaurants, one was overseas.  I've sampled different Indian food at potlucks over the years.

And one indisputable fact has always occurred.  With the one and only exception being Tandoori Chicken, I have never tasted and/or eaten an Indian dish that has left me with the feeling that I want to try that again in the future or that I want to learn how to make that dish.
    Don't like papadums? Not had them? Most of the ones I've had were made w. chickpeas, but I understand lentils are also use. I could eat them almost by the bag, like potato chips. Specially if dipping up korma sauce.
  • Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Options
    Chili doesn't have beans. You must be referring to some kind of bean soup.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    Jstroke said:
    Z, I think you are having trouble because of canned beans that have then been overlooked. Try this. Pick a recipe you like that has beans in it. Then go buy a bag of that dried bean in the store. Cook them properly in water until done to your liking. Then season them. Try them with various spices. Obviously some beans go better with various profiles. I would try several varieties. Then tell us you don't like beans. Here are some classics. Split pea with ham, black bean soup, white beans with ham, baked beans with salt pork, black eyed peas, hummus, all of these are mostly bean and less other stuff. OR open a can of black beans sprinkle with garlic, salt, pepper and and heat in the microwave. Dollop of sour cream, Dip with tortillas or corn chips--money.
    Actually, NO, it isn't because of canned beans, I prefer to use dried beans when I make my chili or baked beans.  I like to go as scratch as I can when cooking.  I make my own stock, I make my own dry rubs, I use spices from a spice rack instead of buying taco seasoning mix, sloppy joe mix, etc.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    The Campfire - Blazing Saddles (5/10) Movie CLIP …: http://youtu.be/VPIP9KXdmO0
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    Thank you all for coming to my defense. Sitting here trying not to be offended.
  • FarmerTom
    Options

With the risk of getting flamed, I will submit another excellent (in my opinion) southern bean meal.  Red beans and rice with smoked sausage.  My wife and I spent a week on the MS. coast helping folks after Katrina.  A school kitchen was cleaned and a local regularly prepared this for the residents and workers.  My first exposure to it.  We now have it quite often.  Hard to beat IMHO.

Tommy 

Middle of Nowhere, Northern Kentucky
       1 M, 1 XL, a BlackStone,1 old Webber, a Border Collie, a German Shepherd and 3 of her pups, and 2 Yorkies

• Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757
    edited November 2014
    Options

Red beans, sofrito and rice. Enough said.

Also the red beans Rajma masala

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    Options
    Here in in the south, slow cooked pintos with a pone of cornbread gets a lot of press. Oh and always in chili ;)
    What is a pone?
    Southern Slang for loaf of cornbread. We almost always cook it in a CI skillet and that's a pone of cornbread. It's an old term that goes back to at least colonial America when it was unleavened cornbread. For some reason the name stuck in the foothills of Appalachia. My generation may be the last that know the word though.

Learned something. @theyolksonyou‌
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • dldawes1
    dldawes1 Posts: 2,208
    Options
    Order some of MudFlap Jones Bean Seasoning sometime. He comes to the National Muzzleloading Shoot here a couple times a year and I always buy several packs.  It is pretty good and different than any beans I've ever had.

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !! 

• shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,660
    Options
    After thanksgiving you do this....

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• Phatchris
    Phatchris Posts: 1,726
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Cannellini beans broccoli rabe and sausage
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options

What do I use beans in?  Bubble bath!

Flint, Michigan
  • Little Steven
    Options
    ( image)