Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wanna impress somebody? Try Gfw's 3/1/1.5 method!

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Yesterday I followed Gordon's Memphis Ribs recipe and method of cooking to the T. Those baby-backs were terrific and brought tears to my eyes! So tender, so delicious and visual as well! You got to try it, folks! I normally make enough so as to have some left over for lunch the next day, but last night there were no survivors! ^oo^~

Comments

• Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Options
    one feral kat, working at home this afternoon - guess what's on the BGE - started them at 1pm - have agreat day - glad you enjoyed the ribs.

• I did use the 3/1.5/1.5 method for full racks of spareribs and the two sets of company all stated they had never had ribs as flavorable and tender. I have read where the 1.5 hours in the aluminum is not necessary but after these I am afraid to try it without the foil wrapped stage.[p]N.W.
  • Bama Fire
    Bama Fire Posts: 267
    Options
    Gfw,
    Tailgating is almost here! I'd love to do the 3/1 part a day in advance, leaving only the final 1.5 on game day at the stadium. Do you think it would work? Just pull the ribs, in the foil from the EGG, and slide in the fridge? Then on game day, pull the ribs from the foil, and egg for an hour and half?[p]Thanks![p]BF

• one feral kat,[p]where is this method posted? can't find, seem to be losing strength, vision is getting blurry, oh god the pain.[p]h

• one feral kat,[p]where is this method posted? can't find, seem to be losing strength, vision is getting blurry, oh god the pain.[p]h

• Gfw
    Options
    Bama Fire, never tried it but there really isn't any reason that it shouldn't work - probably only need an hour for the finish since they will continue to cook in phase 1 - damn - I like your ideas - please let us know!

• Bama Fire
    Bama Fire Posts: 267
    Options
    Gfw,
    I guess I'll need to 'speriment! I'll have to try the 3/1/1.5 method all the way through and then split it up to have something for comparison. Yep, there's the plan for the weekend! [p]Roll Tide![p]B~F

• Gfw
    Options
    08_04_0018_21_02.jpg
    <p />hudson, check out the link - 3 hours indirect, 1 hour in foil, and 1.5 hours split betwen direct and indirect. The link willl serve as you guide - alterations are up to you - if you have any questions, please let me know - please also take a little time to browse my site if you haven't already. [p]Gfw

[ul][li]3/1/1.5[/ul]
  • Gfw
    Options
    Bama Fire, Today at 5pm central time I could check it out - take my baby backs off the grill and wait a few days to finish the ribs and let you know the results - but I don't tink so - Wife is out of town so it's ribs and Killian's Red for dinner tonight!

• Billy
    Billy Posts: 68
    Options
    Bama Fire,
    I just did as you described over last weekend. We were going camping, so I did the first 2 stages and left them in the foil. We then finished them over the fire at the campsite. They were awesome. I will be doing them again that way whenever we are going away, or maybe even to bring them to friends houses for football parties.Then we will finish them on whatever grill they cook on.Billy