Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Getting ready.

Options

Comments

• dboram
    dboram Posts: 54
    Options
    @SGH‌ I want to be you when I grow up...so cool. Happy and blessed thanksgiving to you and yours. So looking forward to all your festive posts...
    Houston, Texas
    Large, MiniMax, and another Large.
  • piney
    piney Posts: 1,478
    Options
    Ladeback, good luck with the surgery I hope you do well. Please keep us posted on your progress you will be in our prayers.
    Lenoir, N.C.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    For a very selfish reason, I'm glad you're staying stateside ... you've contributed greatly to the cooks I've done so far ... I'd miss your presence.

Like FarmerTom's comment, geez I'm working on a two pound piece of pork and you're going to do a small cook with 90 pounds of meat!!!  Wow.  And, you talk about unit #1 and unit #6 ... are you doing that to mess with folks, or are there four other units?

Thank you for the kind words my friend. And yes there are other units. Unit #4 is a massive size hog cooker capable of holding four 250 pound hogs at one time. It doesn't see much use anymore as most of my cooks are small these days. Unit 2, 3 and 5 are wore out. I only keep them for sentimental reasons. My 2 eggs, and units #1 & #6 now do the mother load of my cooking. I have posted Unit #4 before.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    edited November 2014
    Options
    That's a lot of meat to cook. I am just doing one turkey and a pecan pie. Start my brining process tomorrow. Happy Thanksgiving to you @SGH and all on the forum. Have a safe and fun holiday. This is also my favorite time of the year and am getting my mind around getting my other hip replaced a week from Wednesday. I'm not as nervous this time. I may doing some cooking this weekend and next week to have leftovers for when I can't to The Egg for a while.

Brother I wish you good look with the surgery. Hope that it makes you 100% again. Some of the food that I'm cooking tomorrow is for a lady that works with my wife who had a hip replacement done today. She will be in the hospital past Thanksgiving so im cooking the meat for her and her family. Good luck my brother and Happy Holidays.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• ChicagoEgghead20
    Options
    I'm getting hungry just looking at the units getting hot

• SGH
    Options
    Do you mind me asking who eats all this food you cook?

I eat the biggest majority of it.

Status- Standing by.

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    @SGH
    I wanted to ask, why fire it so early ahead of time? I know you have a reason, just wondering why.

Thanks,
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • johnmitchell
    Options
    @SGH Happy Thanksgiving to you and the family...Standing by Fork in hand.. :-O
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • SGH
    Options
    DMW said:
    @SGH
    I wanted to ask, why fire it so early ahead of time? I know you have a reason, just wondering why.

Thanks,

We have had some extreme fluxuations in temp the past couple of weeks. We have had days in the 80's and nights in the 30's. This leads to moisture build up mold. Because I'm cooking for people outside of my family I'm just trying to be sure the smoker is properly sanitized and clean of any build up and mold. Smoke is actually a great sanitizing agent. If I was cooking just for myself I would skip this sanitizing step.

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options
    Round 1. Injected heavily with butter. Rubbed ever so lightly with salt, pepper and cayenne. Now it's time to let heat and smoke do its thing.

imageimageimageimageimageimageimage

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options
    Holding at a perfect 325 degrees. See yall in about 5 and 1/2 hours.

Status- Standing by.

• anzyegg
    anzyegg Posts: 1,104
    Options
    Happy Thanksgiving to you @SGH‌ and all the family. My favorite holiday has always been Thanksgiving because of all the food. We used to eat up my aunts house with at least 30 people -family and friends. Great memories!!! Enjoy my friend and I'll be watching your fantastic cooks.
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    @SGH‌ do you inject with regular or unsalted butter? Also, how much do you use? For instance, for a 10 lb turkey, would you use 1/2 cup? More? Less?
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • SGH
    Options
    @Sea2Ski‌
    I use regular butter. I use 1/2 ounce per pound. I find that's about the max a bird will hold. That's a lot of liquid though my friend. You have to really take your time to get that much in without creating leaks. Just a note: When the birds are done cooking, I will shoot them again with hot melted butter. I will not shoot near that much after cooking. Just a little here and there to replace some of what cooked down. This is not a neccesity, just something I like to do. Also if you over cook your bird a little the injection after cooking really helps put a little moisture back.

Status- Standing by.

• Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    Thanks! Gonna try it this year!
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • SGH
    Options
    3 hours in and the color is getting right. Time for a loose tent to prevent farther darkening.
    imageimage

Status- Standing by.

• Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    Wow, looking good.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• Central_Bama_Egger
    Options
    Amazing.
    Huntsville, Al LBGE
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    SGH said:

That's a lot of meat to cook. I am just doing one turkey and a pecan pie. Start my brining process tomorrow. Happy Thanksgiving to you @SGH and all on the forum. Have a safe and fun holiday. This is also my favorite time of the year and am getting my mind around getting my other hip replaced a week from Wednesday. I'm not as nervous this time. I may doing some cooking this weekend and next week to have leftovers for when I can't to The Egg for a while.

Brother I wish you good look with the surgery. Hope that it makes you 100% again. Some of the food that I'm cooking tomorrow is for a lady that works with my wife who had a hip replacement done today. She will be in the hospital past Thanksgiving so im cooking the meat for her and her family. Good luck my brother and Happy Holidays.

@SGH, you are a great person and friend. I hope to be 100% at least in my hips. When I get surgery I will be in the hospital for 3 days and on a walker for a month and a cane for a week or so. I am planning a big or two for next weekend so we have good food to eat while I recover. Happy Holidays to you and your family as well.

XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • SGH
    Options
    Time to boat with some butter.
    imageimage

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options
    Standing down.
    imageimageimage

Status- Standing by.

• CarolinaCrazy
    Options

Those look awesome. 

Now, What's for lunch!?!?!
    1 LBGE in Chapel Hill, NC
  • johnmitchell
    Options

Those look awesome. 

Now, What's for lunch!?!?!
    You asked for it now.......Stand by to be amazed.. :-O
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    #1, #4, & #6. Who all are coming to Salado? I want to wish you Happy Thanksgiving as well my friend. Our two turkeys and 20lb ham makes me feel like a slacker.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• fusionhq
    fusionhq Posts: 1,707
    Options
    Happy Thanksgiving @SGH!! Turkeys look great so far!

• SGH
    Options
    @Mickey‌
    Thank you sir. Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family as well. As of right now I'm coming, my wife, the Party Monster and Jesse. Jesse is the one who started the infamous Toliet Paper thread a while back on my user name. I'm bringing Unit #7 and a goat. Probably going to bring a few chickens and shoulders to show folks how I stuff them as well.

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options
    Round 2. Going to do a cajun turkey and ham tonight. Maybe some smoked chops as well. Unit #6 coming up to temp and online with some oak and pecan.
    imageimageimageimageimage

Status- Standing by.

• PNWFoodie
    PNWFoodie Posts: 1,046
    Options
    SGH said:
    <
    It doesn't see much use anymore as most of my cooks are small these days.

=))
    XL, JR, and more accessories than anyone would ever need near Olympia, WA
    Sandy
  • SGH
    Options
    I let this one sit over night wrapped in plastic and covered in cayenne. Should be pretty spicy ;). Also injected heavily with melted butter and cayenne.
    imageimageimage

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options
    Going green.
    imageimageimage

Status- Standing by.