Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

need some advice to not ruin Thanksgiving

Options
The family wants pulled beef and pulled pork on Thanksgiving.  Family is wanting to eat around 2:00.  I was going to turbo an 8lb pork shoulder but with the beef being added in I am not sure how to do the cook.  Here is what I have...

two 3.25lb chuck roasts
one 8lb pork butt

Any help would be super appreciated.  Has anyone turbo'd a chuck roast?  Times?  Thanks. 
LBGE
Zionsville, IN

Comments

• theyolksonyou
    Options
    That pork will keep for several hours in a FTC. I've never turboed a butt so I don't know what your time frame would be, but you could have butt done 5 hrs early if necessary.
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    What size Egg? You should be able to get all that on a large no prob. You might consider do a partial turbo on pork. Put everything on at 250° and when the chuckie hit 160 wrap in foil and bump temp to 350. Your gonna want atleast 1hr rest for the beef and I bet the pork would be finishing up during that time. Overall cook should be about 6-7hrs.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    @Mattman3969‌ is a helluva lot smarter than me.
  • Mattman3969
    Options
    Naw he's not. He's just done a very similar cook before.

analyze adapt overcome

• Eggucator
    Options
    What size Egg? You should be able to get all that on a large no prob. You might consider do a partial turbo on pork. Put everything on at 250° and when the chuckie hit 160 wrap in foil and bump temp to 350. Your gonna want atleast 1hr rest for the beef and I bet the pork would be finishing up during that time. Overall cook should be about 6-7hrs.
    Thank you!  I do have a large.  I think I will get it going around 5:00 am at 250 like you said with everything and then go 350 once the beef hits 160.  Great thinking.  
    LBGE
    Zionsville, IN
  • Mattman3969
    Options
    @eggucator - how did these turnout for you??

analyze adapt overcome

• scootr2200
    Options
    Yes, I'm quite curious as well!

Mickey
    Western NC Egger since January 2014

• Eggucator
    Options
    Mattman3969scootr2200 Turned out perfect. Both came out perfect.  I FTC'd them for 2 hours and then fell apart when I got them out.  Everybody loved them.  Thanks for the advice mattman3969 
    LBGE
    Zionsville, IN