Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Any Thanksgiving or Christmas movie traditions?

Options
We have a tradition at our house. We watch the movie Planes and Trains and Automobiles on the Tuesday night before Thanksgiving. That is of course tonight!  I am so stoked about it. I have seen it at least 25 times if not more, but I love it. 

The reason I like watching it on the Tuesday before Thanksgiving is because in the movie that is when it starts. I am sure a lot of you have seen it, but if you haven't you owe it to yourself to watch it. One of Steve Martin's and John Candy's best. 

For Christmas the movie is National Lampoons Christmas Vacation. I bet we watch it 10 or more times during the holidays. This is another one I highly, highly, recommend. 

What about you guys? What are some of the holiday movies that you like? 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's

Comments

• BizGreenEgg
    Options
    I've been trying to make watching the Star Wars Christmas Special a tradition, but none of my family can sit through the whole thing.
    Large BGE & mini stepchild & a KJ Jr.
    The damp PNW 
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Options
    A Muppet Family Christmas, Christmas Vacation, Love Actually, Home Alone, Elf, How the Grinch Stole Christmas, Die Hard, and White Christmas all need to be watched between now and Christmas Eve.  On Christmas Eve, its 24 hours of A Christmas Story. 

Options
    Flint, Michigan
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,029
    Options
    Home Alone
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    We will be watching elf tomorrow night like we have for about 7 years in a row
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• johnkitchens
    Options
    You guys have named some great ones. I also love Home Alone and Elf. I can almost quote elf I have seen it so much. 

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Aquacop
    Aquacop Posts: 481
    Options
    A Christmas Story over, and over, and over, and over again! 
    LBGE 2013 Located in Savannah, Georgia
  • johnkitchens
    Options
    @JohnInCarolina I had my doubts, but you sir may indeed be the smartest on the forum after all! 

I wish I could "Like" your post more than once. 

• johnkitchens
    Options
    Aquacop said:
    A Christmas Story over, and over, and over, and over again! 
    It starts at our house on Christmas Eve and continues until it is over. We also love it. 

• Turk2011
    Options
    Good job@ Fred19Flintstone. I couldn't have said it better
    Swampeast , MO  XL 2013  MM 2015
  • johnkitchens
    Options
    Turk2011 said:
    Good job@ Fred19Flintstone. I couldn't have said it better
    I agree. @Fred19Flintstone‌ killed it!

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,029
    Options
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • johnkitchens
    Options
    @WeberWho? I like that one too. 

• theyolksonyou
    Options
    Where's your other hand?

between 2 pillows.

THOSE AREN'T PILLOWS!!!

Christmas Story is another of my all time favorites
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    @JohnInCarolina I had my doubts, but you sir may indeed be the smartest on the forum after all! 

I wish I could "Like" your post more than once. 
    It's just ... a perfect movie.  They don't make comedies like that any more.  Really for me the only thing that comes close in recent memory is "Meet The Parents" or "The Big Lebowski".  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • johnkitchens
    Options
    You are correct John. They don't make them like they used to. I grew up watching John Hughes movies. I sure do miss him. 

• KennyLee
    KennyLee Posts: 806
    edited November 2014
    Options

Man I LOVE Planes, Trains and Automobiles.  Haven't seen it in a while so I'll have to catch it again soon.  Man, I miss John Candy. 

Also love Christmas Vacation and It's a Wonderful Life.....enjoy watching that one late on Christmas Eve while sipping a strong drink or six after all the little ones are down for the count and it's quiet and nothing is on but the lights on the tree.  Great time to reflect. 

LBGE

Cedar table w/granite top

Ceramic Grillworks two-tier swing rack

Perpetual cooler of ice-cold beer

• Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    KennyLee said:

Also love Christmas Vacation and It's a Wonderful Life.....enjoy watching that one late on Christmas Eve while sipping a strong drink or six after all the little one's are down for the count and it's quiet and nothing is on but the lights on the tree.  Great time to reflect. 

You get quiet time and reflect late on Christmas Eve?  I'm wrapping like a rabid bastid!  Oh, and drinking heavily.  I always say I'm going to wrap earlier next year, yet every Christmas Eve is spent mostly the same way every year.
    Flint, Michigan
  • KennyLee
    KennyLee Posts: 806
    Options

KennyLee said:

Also love Christmas Vacation and It's a Wonderful Life.....enjoy watching that one late on Christmas Eve while sipping a strong drink or six after all the little one's are down for the count and it's quiet and nothing is on but the lights on the tree.  Great time to reflect. 

You get quiet time and reflect late on Christmas Eve?  I'm wrapping like a rabid bastid!  Oh, and drinking heavily.  I always say I'm going to wrap earlier next year, yet every Christmas Eve is spent mostly the same way every year.

Luckily everything that needs wrapping is usually wrapped.  The gifts from Santa, we usually just put out as is in front of the fireplace.  Now there have been several frustrating and late assembly jobs where Santa didn't have time to put things together before delivery and ALSO didn't send enough or the right hardware with his shipment.....Santa's probably farming out to China like everyone else. 

LBGE

Cedar table w/granite top

Ceramic Grillworks two-tier swing rack

Perpetual cooler of ice-cold beer

• johnkitchens
    Options
    As my kids get older we get finished earlier and earlier and that is fine by me. We don't get home until late from my parent's on Christmas Eve and then we start getting santa ready. 

We are always up early and have the family over for breakfast at the crack of dawn. It is a joyous and happy time, but it is exhausting as well, but I wouldn't trade a minute of it. 

• kdink
    kdink Posts: 336
    Options
    Watched March of the Wooden Soldiers with my brother for years, now watch every year with my sons 15 and 13.  Hope to continue with Grand kids someday!
    2 Xl's, MM and Forno Bello
    Pizza Oven in Bergen County, NJ
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    The Grinch with Jim Carrey every thanksgiving night to kick off the season.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    Nothing special for Thanksgiving-but for Christmas sometime during the afternoon I roll Pulp Fiction.  Been on the docket for better than ten years.  If my two sons are around they enjoy it right along.  SWMBO can't stand the festivities...
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Donovan's Reef.... Three World War II Navy veterans -- Donovan (John Wayne), Doc Dedham (Jack Warden) and Gilhooley (Lee Marvin) -- converge on the French Polynesian island of Haleakaloha and team up to deceive Dedham's prim daughter (Elizabeth Allen), who has just learned of her father's existence and his inherited stock from the company of which she is chairman, and hopes to find just cause to reclaim his shares. Dedham's marriage to an island woman serves to further threaten his share in the company..........Now I end up watching by myself, rest of family just does not understand my humor.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    Another vote for Elf.

Also, Bad Santa.
    NOLA
  • johnkitchens
    Options
    I will have to check it out @Mickey