Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Requesting some help from the sous viders

Options
Do you use a torch to finish?  Or is carbon steel A36, and/or CI good enough on the stovetop or grill?  Seems kind of pointless to burn through lump for a sub 2 min cook. 
Is there a gas taste noticed in end product when torching?

Looking at Map-Pro, and a BernzOmatic TS8000.  Could use for lump lighting, game hair singing, etc.  So it wouldn't be a one-trick-pony.

Also, did you join a sous vide forum to get tips, tricks?  If so, can you provide a link or share important things learned?

Oh, and do items cook evenly when clipped to the side of the vessel?

Are Ziplocks safe to use?  Or are there special bags for this?

I think that's it......for now. hahaha

Thanks
Brandon
Quad Cities
"If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

Comments

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    I'm new to SV as well, so take this for what it's worth.

I just got a TS8000 last week, works great for all mentioned purposes. I still need some more practice with it. I wouldn't be completely surprised if I added a Searzall at some point.

I joined http://community.anovaculinary.com/ and TBH, it isn't all that active with actual cooks. I've learned more here, which doesn't surprise me as this place is awesome.

Clipped to side, I think so, though I try to arrange things so it isn't flat. I try to make sure all sides of the meat is surrounded by water. I might be OCD on this, not sure.

Ziplocks are safe from what I have read. The freezer bags are stronger than the storage bags. I do not submerse the zipper top portion of the bag. Instead I lay a set of long tongs across the top of the container and clip the top of the bag to the tongs.

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Agree with DMW on all the tips.
    I like searing on cast iron better than torch but torch does have some advantages with delicate foods that might stick or fall apart flipping around on cast iron. Torch will also sear sides easier and faster. Better control with torch as you can see exactly what is happening in real time. For what it's worth, I'm a newb as well.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Photo Egg
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Had other good tips in the recent past about using marbles and such to help weight the bag. Very good idea, not mine.
    When doing soft boiled eggs in a water circulator SV I put the eggs in a ziplock bad so they don't roll around on the bottom. Helps set the soft egg set up better.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • DMW
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    Had other good tips in the recent past about using marbles and such to help weight the bag. Very good idea, not mine.
    When doing soft boiled eggs in a water circulator SV I put the eggs in a ziplock bad so they don't roll around on the bottom. Helps set the soft egg better.
    Marbles in the bag, or attached somehow?
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,822
    Options
    I throw it on the gasser.
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • Photo Egg
    edited November 2014
    Options
    DMW said:
    Photo Egg said:
    When doing soft boiled eggs in a water circulator SV I put the eggs in a ziplock bad so they don't roll around on the bottom. Helps set the soft egg better.
    Sorry, yes, marbles in the bag for weight. I guess stainless shot, or nuts would also be great.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,967
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Yes on the torch and carbon/cast iron. Those are my preferred. Cast Iron #1, torch #2 and Egg #3. The egg can be cool and it does add a ton of smoke in 2 min. i did this to some SV short ribs and it was really good. All others have been finished indoors.

Also- the preferred method of SV nerds is deep fry to finish. I agree it's the best but I hate the smell it leaves in the house so I rarely take the trouble to do it. Modernist Cuisine is all about the deep fry finish so try it- it's good. 

I have that torch and it's great. had one go out in 3 months and HD swapped it for a new one on the spot. I use MAPP and Propane. both work great and add no flavor to the food. I use it to light the eggs, light my fireplace, scare the cat, and generally look cool. Worth having for sure.

I kind of hung out on Douglas Baldwin's site for a while but there are no real special tricks to SV cooking- it's all time and temp and there is a chart for that. The tricks are in the finish. That's where all the flavor and texture comes from. I can tell you that the SV forums and sites are very serious (read:boring as hell) and they don't like a lot of chicanery, tomfoolery, or horseplay. The ones I found were full of stuffed shirts who thought they invented cooking. I read through a few posts and bailed. Baldwin is dry but full of good info on the basics and you don't have to put up with all the tools telling everyone else how stupid they are. Once you get past that and learn a few cool sauces to finish with, you are off and running.

Zip Locs are considered safe up to 170 which covers most protein cooks. Veggies are higher- like 185 or so. Food Saver bags are the next step up from there.

Never thought about stuff touching the sides of the vessel changing the time etc. My first thought  is no but it definitely affects it if say 2 steaks are touching. Might need to dig in to that a little deeper but I bet you are ok if these is any water at all between the food and side of the vessel. If it were clipped at the top and not firmly pressed against the side, I'm guessing you are fine.

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Photo Egg
    edited November 2014
    Options
    "scare the cat"…Respect... :))
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Yes on the torch and carbon/cast iron. Those are my preferred. Cast Iron #1, torch #2 and Egg #3. The egg can be cool and it does add a ton of smoke in 2 min. i did the to some SV short ribs and it was really good. All others have been finished indoors.

Also- the preferred method of SV nerds is deep fry to finish. I agree it's the best but I hate the smell it leaves in the house so I rarely take the trouble to do it. Modernist Cuisine is all about the deep fry finish so try it- it's good. 

I have that torch and it's great. had one go out in 3 months and HD swapped it for a new one on the spot. I use MAPP and Propane. both work great and add no flavor to the food. I use it to light the eggs, light my fireplace, scare the cat, and generally look cool. Worth having for sure.

I kind of hung out on Douglas Baldwin's site for a while but there are no real special tricks to SV cooking- it's all time and temp and there is a chart for that. The tricks are in the finish. That's where all the flavor and texture comes from. I can tell you that the SV forums and sites are very serious (read:boring as hell) and they don't like a lot of chicanery, tomfoolery, or horseplay. The ones I found were full of stuffed shirts who thought they invented cooking. I read through a few posts and bailed. Baldwin is dry but full of good info on the basics and you don't have to put up with all the tools telling everyone else how stupid they are. Once you get past that and learn a few cool sauces to finish with, you are off and running.

Zip Locs are considered safe up to 170 which covers most protein cooks. Veggies are higher- like 185 or so. Food Saver bags are the next step up from there.

Never thought about stuff touching the sides of the vessel changing the time etc. My first thought  is no but it definitely affects it if say 2 steaks are touching. Might need to dig in to that a little deeper but I bet you are ok if these is any water at all between the food and side of the vessel. If it were clipped at the top and not firmly pressed against the side, I'm guessing you are fine.

+1 to everything this guy said. I learned more from him and others like nola, caz, etc. about SV than I did perusing the interwebs. The douglasbaldwin.com site was helpful in the beginning to understand some of the science and build some confidence.

@canuggheadbought a torch online and has liked it. Maybe he will chime in as to where he purchased it from. I have taken to finishing on the stove in a CI pan most of the time. If I'm bored and have time, I fire up the egg. I bought a FoodSaver, because I also wanted to use it for freezing stuff.

As a fine example of the  "chicanery, tomfoolery, or horseplay" that goes on here, I offer:

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1159238/funky-smelling-cryovac-ed-pork/p1

You really can't go wrong on this forum... unless you're trying to sell something.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    DMW said:
    I'm new to SV as well, so take this for what it's worth.

I just got a TS8000 last week, works great for all mentioned purposes. I still need some more practice with it. I wouldn't be completely surprised if I added a Searzall at some point.

I joined http://community.anovaculinary.com/ and TBH, it isn't all that active with actual cooks. I've learned more here, which doesn't surprise me as this place is awesome.

Clipped to side, I think so, though I try to arrange things so it isn't flat. I try to make sure all sides of the meat is surrounded by water. I might be OCD on this, not sure.

Ziplocks are safe from what I have read. The freezer bags are stronger than the storage bags. I do not submerse the zipper top portion of the bag. Instead I lay a set of long tongs across the top of the container and clip the top of the bag to the tongs.

@DMW, thanks much.  The tong trick is great.  Even a cheap square dowel rod would work.  Will check out anovaculinary.com
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Focker
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    Agree with DMW on all the tips.
    I like searing on cast iron better than torch but torch does have some advantages with delicate foods that might stick or fall apart flipping around on cast iron. Torch will also sear sides easier and faster. Better control with torch as you can see exactly what is happening in real time. For what it's worth, I'm a newb as well.
    Thanks Darian,
    Fish would be ideal with the torch.  Gonna try egg in the bag soon. Eggs will be in the SV rotation for sure.  
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Focker
    Options
    Yes on the torch and carbon/cast iron. Those are my preferred. Cast Iron #1, torch #2 and Egg #3. The egg can be cool and it does add a ton of smoke in 2 min. i did the to some SV short ribs and it was really good. All others have been finished indoors.

Never thought about stuff touching the sides of the vessel changing the time etc. My first thought  is no but it definitely affects it if say 2 steaks are touching. Might need to dig in to that a little deeper but I bet you are ok if these is any water at all between the food and side of the vessel. If it were clipped at the top and not firmly pressed against the side, I'm guessing you are fin
    ou 

Just awesome CT, appreciate the help.

Do you have a chart you could post for SV?

Now I'd burn some lump to deep fry on the egg in a DO to keep it out of the house. Keeping this in mind.

Don't care for pulseless stuffed shirts.  I will still check it out though.  

Ziplocks for protein, FS bags for veggies.  Good info, all around.

Brandon
    Quad Cities

• EggObsessed
    Options
    @Photo_Egg:  We've not had very good luck with making soft-boiled or poached eggs.  I really can't stand the white to be runny.  Do you have any advice?
    Kelley 
    Egging with No Joke Smoke (Bruce), enjoying small town life in Brenham, TX., the home of Blue Bell Ice Cream.  BGEs: XL, Medium,  1 MiniMax. 36" CookRite Commercial Griddle, and a Shirley Smoker.
  • DMW
    Options
    I am going to deep fry the boneless short ribs I have in the SV currently. They will come out for an appetizer on Thursday. I'm planning to cut them into bit size cubes and deep fry each cube and serve on a platter with toothpicks in each.

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    eggs are amazing on the sv. I have a temp chart with pics of the eggs at every degree from Modernist cuisine I'll see if I can post.

Focker- I have the chart- it's on here but let me find it. I'll post here for you

• Focker
    Options
    caliking said:

+1 to everything this guy said. I learned more from him and others like nola, caz, etc. about SV than I did perusing the interwebs. The douglasbaldwin.com site was helpful in the beginning to understand some of the science and build some confidence.

@canuggheadbought a torch online and has liked it. Maybe he will chime in as to where he purchased it from. I have taken to finishing on the stove in a CI pan most of the time. If I'm bored and have time, I fire up the egg. I bought a FoodSaver, because I also wanted to use it for freezing stuff.

As a fine example of the  "chicanery, tomfoolery, or horseplay" that goes on here, I offer:

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1159238/funky-smelling-cryovac-ed-pork/p1

You really can't go wrong on this forum... unless you're trying to sell something.

Or start another forum. hahaha

Thanks cali, glad you survived the funk.  Good read by the way.  Enjoy the chicanery, tomfoolery, and horseplay that goes on here. 

Brandon
    Quad Cities

• caliking
    Options

Oh yes, that was a very educational weekend... in real-time.

For eggs, here is a Serious Eats write-up. There are other charts by PolyScience, etc.

http://www.seriouseats.com/2013/10/sous-vide-101-all-about-eggs.html

I like mine done at 145°F x 45mins (easy for me to remember). I have a Sous Vide Supreme.

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I just grabbed this one of the web. this would be a great place to start for time and temp:

• Focker
    Options
    Great stuff guys!!

Thanks again

Brandon
    Quad Cities

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,967
    edited November 2014
    Options
    check out the egg chart- you can pasteurize raw eggs at 134. You can make you own mayo, dressings, aoilis, cookie batter etc with totally safe pasteurized eggs. Great trick for making your own foods that require raw eggs that are totally safe to eat.

Rare burgers too!. You can pasturize a burger at 132. deep fry for 30 seconds or hard sear in a cast iron and you have a totally safe rare/med rare burger. 

No more hockey pucks!

• Focker
    Options
    Jesus H......I would destroy that.  Very nice CT. 

Gonna love this SV stuff, a "game" changer no doubt. >:)
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• EggObsessed
    Options
    @The_Cen-Tex_Smoker:  Thanks for the charts!  Love the idea of pasteurizing.  We just got a Sous Vide Supreme about 4 months ago and are still getting the lay of the land.  We really enjoy fully trimming up a NY Strip, SV for 2 or 2 1/2 hours at 138.  We then slice them thinly and make French did sandwiches out of them.  
    Kelley 
    Egging with No Joke Smoke (Bruce), enjoying small town life in Brenham, TX., the home of Blue Bell Ice Cream.  BGEs: XL, Medium,  1 MiniMax. 36" CookRite Commercial Griddle, and a Shirley Smoker.
  • caliking
    Options
    OMFG. I am so going to try burgers. That looks fabulous!

• Little Steven
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    DMW said:
    Photo Egg said:
    Sorry, yes, marbles in the bag for weight. I guess stainless shot, or nuts would also be great.
    I found some big ball bearings on the floor of a steel plant I was working in today. Would they work?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    trick to burgers- make the patties and the freeze before vacuuming down. They get really compressed, especially in the food saver if you don't freeze them. you can make them really loose and fluffy, then freeze and they will return to that texture once thawed in the bath.

I will say that out of all the proteins, beef is my least favorite in the SV. It really seems to shine with delicate stuff like eggs, chicken and seafood. It is really cool to eat a worry free med rare burger though!

Not that beef isn't good, I just think you can get similar results with other methods. You will never want to eat chicken breast done any other way once you SV one and pan sear it with S&P. Try that first. just take a simple chicken breast, SV at 147 for 2 hrs, dry it off, put S&P and sear it.

My son (this was like 3 yrs ago, he was 12 at the time) asked the waiter at Chili's if they Sous Vide their chicken. The poor guy looked at him like he had 2 heads. Then my other son asked how aged the cheddar was on their burgers. We don't go to that Chili's anymore.

• Focker
    Options
    10-4 bud

Chicken breast it will be.  

My son (this was like 3 yrs ago, he was 12 at the time) asked the waiter at Chili's if they Sous Vide their chicken. The poor guy looked at him like he had 2 heads. Then my other son asked how aged the cheddar was on their burgers. We don't go to that Chili's anymore.

LMAO,  

Love it!  Mine is 7, and starting to do the same thing. :))
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    @The_Cen-Tex_Smoker:  Thanks for the charts!  Love the idea of pasteurizing.  We just got a Sous Vide Supreme about 4 months ago and are still getting the lay of the land.  We really enjoy fully trimming up a NY Strip, SV for 2 or 2 1/2 hours at 138.  We then slice them thinly and make French did sandwiches out of them.  
    yum!

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    BTW- that burger image is from Google images. I have one on here somewhere but I didn't feel like searching for it. It didn't look as good as this one anyway.

• Photo Egg
    Options
    @Photo_Egg:  We've not had very good luck with making soft-boiled or poached eggs.  I really can't stand the white to be runny.  Do you have any advice?

I have been disapointed with Eggs as well. Can get the yokes perfect but I still lose to much of the white that does not set up very well. Real trick is to crack into a slotted spoon to drain the real watery stuff and then into boiling water to set the whites. Refuse to make this effort so far. Lol
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Photo Egg
    Options
    @LittleSteven...I bet the ball bearing would work great if they can be steralized and do not rust. Stainless would be ideal I would think. Small pieces of stainless rod would be ideal and help hold the shape of the ziploc bag.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas