Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Adding wood

Options
Need some assistance, If i choose to burn say and apple or pecan wood while smoking a large butt or even a turkey. how do you keep a constant smoke on it? If i am using a platesetter when i light or right before i will put my butt on i typically drop a chunk of pecan or apple in. once that burns up i have struggled to figure out an easy way to get another chunk in? what does everyone else do>?

Comments

• Grillin_beers
    Options
    Add three or four chunks right before you drop the plate setter in. A butt can only absorb smoke the first couple of hours so having smoke on it for 10-15 hours doesn't matter.
    1 large BGE, Spartanburg SC

My dog thinks I'm a grilling god. 
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    There are different thoughts on how long it will flavor(like everything else). Just layer it in with your lump before lighting so as the lump is consumed more wood is lit along the way.
  • TigerTony
    TigerTony Posts: 1,078
    Options
    I just spread and mix a handful of chips all through the lump and around the edges before I light.  Many times after a overnight cook I still see some un-burned wood in the lump after I'm finished cooking.
    I never worry about adding smoke chips or chunks during the cook. It's not  a constant smoke.
    "I'm stupidest when I try to be funny" 
    New Orleans

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Grillin_beers said: Add three or four chunks right before you drop the plate setter in. A butt can only absorb smoke the first couple of hours so having smoke on it for 10-15 hours doesn't matter.

Food will absorb smoke as long as there IS smoke. It's the smoke
    ring that stops forming after a bit (at 140°). If you're looking for a ring, keep the meat in the fridge until time to cook it.

For smoke, scatter chunks here and there and as the fire spreads, another one will start to smoke.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Little Steven
    Options
    Add three or four chunks right before you drop the plate setter in. A butt can only absorb smoke the first couple of hours so having smoke on it for 10-15 hours doesn't matter.
    The smoke ring will only form up to 140* but smoke will flavour the cook throughout. Just mix chunks or chips at different levels in the lump.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• pjs883
    pjs883 Posts: 15
    Options
    Awesome, ill tryboth, layering some and maybe some chips as well, i have both. thanks !!
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Take it easy on smoke (I like to use Apple, pecan, cherry) with Turkey, Chicken and other poultry as they tend to absorb smoke quickly. So, normally I'll only use one or maybe two chunks of wood if any at all. Pork butt, picnic, ham, ribs & Beef brisket , roasts, ribs, etc I usually layer in wood chunks throughout the lump (5-7 large chunks is typically plenty) & on a long L&S I have my lump pretty much level to the top of the fire ring.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Z_Eggineer
    Options
    Has anyone tried adding the lump some place different?  Like on the platesetter.  Just thinking it might be a more delicate smoke since no flame would be coming in contact with the wood.
  • DieselkW
    DieselkW Posts: 894
    Options
    Has anyone tried adding the lump some place different?  Like on the platesetter.  Just thinking it might be a more delicate smoke since no flame would be coming in contact with the wood.
    I don't think the wood will get hot enough on top of the plate setter. Maybe in that "tween" space at the edge of the platesetter, it might even burn enough to fall through eventually.
    I just suck it up, if I forgot to put the smoking wood in, my bad - take off the meat, take off the grill, remove the platesetter, add the wood.

Do that enough times, you stop forgetting to add the wood.

Indianapolis, IN

BBQ is a celebration of culture in America. It is the closest thing we have to the wines and cheeses of Europe. 

Drive a few hundred miles in any direction, and the experience changes dramatically. 

• StillSmoken
    Options
    As NphuskerFl suggested its easy to put to much smoke on a turkey! I'd keep it at a chunk or two of cherry or pecan.
    Kennesaw Ga. XL Egg. Cheers, Kevin
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    I am about the same as everyone else, but I go based on size of chunks. I have first size chunks and 1"x1" chunks. When using fist size I use 2 to 3 and on the 1x1 I use 5 to 6. Once I get a fire going I had in wood for smoke and put the plate setter in. Once the egg is stabilized usually about 20 to 20 minutes it should be ok to put the meat on for smoking. I take it you are running from 225 and up. Even if you don't see a lot of smoke you are getting plenty of smoke.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • tulocay
    tulocay Posts: 1,737
    Options
    +1 on scattering wood throughout the lump.
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• tcracing
    tcracing Posts: 378
    Options
    Nice drawing.
    George Foreman? Who? 
    Tim C. Panama City, Fl. 
    Large, Minimax-soon
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    tcracing said:
    Nice drawing.

It's been around the forum for awhile. I think @stike started it, if not, he was always tossing it up to answer questions. Since he's no longer around, I started sharing it to help people understand. Easier than typing it up.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• dldawes1
    dldawes1 Posts: 2,208
    Options
    Sounds like you folks covered this one well. 

Ain't much to this egging business !!!!!!

That's what I like about this forum....everyone willing to share.

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !! 

• Scout706
    Options
    Amazing - I always thought fire went up.  live and learn, can't wait for next cook.
  • SeahawksEGGHead
    Options
    I too wonder about when and where to ad the chunks.  I'm not sure I have it down yet, but I'll place some chunks on the actual fire grate, add some lump, some more wood in the middle, add lump.  I use a chimney to light my egg, typically with some leftover lump.  I'll dump it in the egg, let it rest a bit with the lid open, then close the lid and let it reach my desired temp, at which point I'll typically try to dial in the vent and place the DW.  The whole process seems to take an hour, hour and a half.  I'm not sure, but it seems like all my wood burns up before I put my meat on.  I wonder if I'm doing something wrong, or if there's a better way.
  • DieselkW
    DieselkW Posts: 894
    Options
    I too wonder about when and where to ad the chunks.  I'm not sure I have it down yet, but I'll place some chunks on the actual fire grate, add some lump, some more wood in the middle, add lump.  I use a chimney to light my egg, typically with some leftover lump.  I'll dump it in the egg, let it rest a bit with the lid open, then close the lid and let it reach my desired temp, at which point I'll typically try to dial in the vent and place the DW.  The whole process seems to take an hour, hour and a half.  I'm not sure, but it seems like all my wood burns up before I put my meat on.  I wonder if I'm doing something wrong, or if there's a better way.
    Something is wrong if you can't get started within 15 minutes of putting fire to your lump.

Try the burning chimney lump first, at the bottom, then add your smoking wood and lump mixture no more than the top of the fire box, under the fire ring. Keep the lid open and bottom vent wide open until you see fire sneaking towards the top. (5 minutes max)
    Close the lid, top and bottom vents wide open.
    When the smoke is clear and the dome temp is rising rapidly, close down your vents and stabilize temp where you want it.
    Meat should go on when you're happy with your vent settings - no more than 15 minutes from throwing in that burning lump.

Indianapolis, IN

BBQ is a celebration of culture in America. It is the closest thing we have to the wines and cheeses of Europe. 

Drive a few hundred miles in any direction, and the experience changes dramatically. 

• tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    I will sometimes take a hatchet and make pieces smaller to go through the grate and platesetter.  I will then take my ash tool to "flick" into the fire.  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site