Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Quick question about bottom round roast

Options
Is it better cooked med-rare like a rib roast or cooked to a higher internal temp like brisket or shoulder clod? Thanks.

Comments

• Little Steven
    Options
    Depends what you want to do with it. It's a tough cut and does better as a braise, stew or pot roast. If you were making thin deli meat you could go medium rare. I made a fantastic Boeuf Bourguignon with it on Sunday.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    I'm not a fan of bottom round at all for many reasons. However if I'm forced to cook it I usually sear it and finish the cook by braising or braise it for the entire cook. I stop bottom round in the 160-165 degree arena. If anyone else gives advice go with theirs. Why? I do not cook bottom round much at all as I am not a real fan of it. But the above is how I cook it when I'm forced to.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Mross
    Mross Posts: 338
    Options
    I only cook it to 126 and use for deli meat. It makes a killer sliced roast beef.
    With that said you really need a slicer to get it thin.
    Duncan, SC
  • SGH
    Options
    Mross said:
    I only cook it to 126 and use for deli meat. It makes a killer sliced roast beef.
    With that said you really need a slicer to get it thin.

This sounds like a good idea. Thanks for sharing.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SeahawksEGGHead
    Options
    I just finished 7 lbs of bottom round for the purpose of deli meat.  I cooked it at 300 degrees raised indirect until IT reached 130.  Pull it, fridgerate it overnight, then slice it thin.  I used a chef's choice 615 deli slicer.  The roast beef was, and continues to be excellent.  Idid take a small chunk of it off to see if I could eat it like a steak.  Don't try it.  Slice it thin, that's about the only thing a bottom round would be good for.
  • SGH
    Options
    I just finished 7 lbs of bottom round for the purpose of deli meat.  I cooked it at 300 degrees raised indirect until IT reached 130.  Pull it, fridgerate it overnight, then slice it thin.  I used a chef's choice 615 deli slicer.  The roast beef was, and continues to be excellent.  Idid take a small chunk of it off to see if I could eat it like a steak.  Don't try it.  Slice it thin, that's about the only thing a bottom round would be good for.

I'm glad you mention that. 160 is about as low as I find it to be eatable when cooked whole and served as a roast. Most folks take it much higher but I find it akin to leather when this is done. I never thought of cooking it rare and slicing it paper thin for deli meat. Thank both of Yall for the idea.

Status- Standing by.

• Mross
    Mross Posts: 338
    Options
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,749
    Options
    braciole from bottom round is good and i make them small, seems to be better. i think these were cubed but i dont normally cube them

this one was flank and bigger but the small bottom rounds are better

pretty simple, meat sliced about 3/8 to 1/2 and hammered flat, layer in prosciutto, basil, hard cheese, pine nuts, and braise
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • SeahawksEGGHead
    Options
    SGH said:

I'm glad you mention that. 160 is about as low as I find it to be eatable when cooked whole and served as a roast. Most folks take it much higher but I find it akin to leather when this is done. I never thought of cooking it rare and slicing it paper thin for deli meat. Thank both of Yall for the idea.

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1173635/rare-who-roast-beast#latest

Here's my roast beef discussion, with pics.  I wasn't able to slice it as thin as I wanted, since I was too anxious and didn't refrigerate it before slicing.  Stil good, still very moist and tender for sandwiches.  130 IT is still a bit overdone, can be pulled around 125 for a more rare beef, but either way, it makes really good sandwiches.

• mmundy81
    Options
    Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I just ended up going with a little smoke, then a braise. I actually have a deli slicer, but was looking for more of a roast.