Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

SV pork belly with homemade bao... and other stuff

Options
2»

Comments

• CarolinaCrazy
    Options
    caliking said:

@CarolinaCrazy - any tips for making the pork belly?

@Canugghead - Thanks for the compliment :) After I put the plates on the table, SWMBO asked me if I was finished taking pictures before she put a fork on my plate. It was late and we were starving, but she knows I'm a food geek. So happy that I married her!

This online version is nearly identical to the Momofuku cookbook version - I've made the cookbook version a couple times. The last time, I did it in the egg. I did it with no smoking wood. I cooked it for an hour at 450˚, and then just shut down the egg to just a crack (almost completely closed) and let to go for about another hour and a half. It was perfect.

I dont do SV (yet!), but I have to think that roasting the whole time will give a more authentic taste. I'd love to try them head to head!

1 LBGE in Chapel Hill, NC
  • Little Steven
    Options
    @saltysam- just remember- if you dig through the ice in Henapple's cooler and feel a hand (or worse), don't fret, it's just Little Steven. It's best just to let him finish.

Hah! The beer will be gone if I'm on the inside.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    @CarolinaCrazy - I'll try that sometime. How big was the belly? A whole side, cut pieces, or pieces like the ones I had?

@saltysam- just remember- if you dig through the ice in Henapple's cooler and feel a hand (or worse), don't fret, it's just Little Steven. It's best just to let him finish.

Uh-oh. It's Stefaan's alter ego posting now...

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options

Yep- that is the cue to move along to the next cooler. This one is spoken for.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Little Steven
    Options
    I think the mods eliminated all of my comments that were of little or no value
  • caliking
    Options
    I think the mods eliminated all of my comments that were of little or no value
    Nope. They missed a bunch. Your count still says 300+ 

:D

• Little Steven
    Options
    I guess you will be here all week. I'll tip my waitress and order the veal Piccata. Budadudadudathwump.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    304 now. Where are those mods????

JIC, can you handle this for us?

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • caliking
    Options
    You're dead to me.

• CarolinaCrazy
    Options
    caliking said:
    @CarolinaCrazy - I'll try that sometime. How big was the belly? A whole side, cut pieces, or pieces like the ones I had?

Not sure how big yours were, but I like ~2# pieces - the are manageable size and good surface area to size ratio.

I like buying locally raised meat, but unfortunately the local bellies I've gotten have a much higher fat to meat ratio than ideal. I may have to go back to the commercially raised bellies I can get at the Asian market. They are beautiful.

1 LBGE in Chapel Hill, NC
  • Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    Options
    Looks great as always Cali! Glad to see your still cooking outside the box! =D>
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • caliking
    Options
    @Solson005 - howdy, bud! Thanks. Long time no see :) Hope things are well with you.

@CarolinaCrazy - I had 2 strips of belly ~10" long x 1.5" wide x 1.5" thick. I don't recall the weight, but maybe 1# each. These were form a local Asian supermarket, and I was pleasantly surprised with how meaty they were. 

• Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    Options
    Things are great! Still cooking away a few times a week outside. I've had a couple of posts, but there is so much traffic now they get to page 2 or 3 way too fast. It takes longer for me to get the pictures in the post, than the life of the post. Haha (not a bad thing, it's great there are so many eggheads) plus work is crazy..
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK.