Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

turkey breast question/ideas

Options
I have a 7 lb turkey breast.  I am going to cook it Friday.  I want to cook it low and slow.  I plan to brine it overnight. I may inject and possibly baste with a thin bbq sauce at the end for a different spin on a turkey.  Any ideas for injection?  I like spicy.  Thanks in advance.  Have a great thanksgiving. 
Blue Ridge, GA

Comments

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Mix up a little "Slap Ya Mamma" and some apple juice. 
    I would just season and cook the breast. As long as you don't over cook it it will be juicy.
    Let us know how it turns out...
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • itsmce
    itsmce Posts: 410
    Options
    I did a low and slow breast a few months ago, pulled it at 160, and it was dry.  I was advised by several forum members that there's not enough fat in turkey breast for low and slow to be a practical method.  BUT...since then seems like I've read that people are successful with the technique.
    Large (sometimes wish it were an XL) in KS
  • piney
    piney Posts: 1,478
    Options
    I do them @ 325-350 indirect pull @ 160 or so have never had a dry turkey breast. I have injected with different things, used different rubs, and have just rubbed it down with evoo. They all turn out great. I just did one last week with Slap yo Mama as a rub and it was good but a little hot. Good Luck there are many way and not a wrong one.
    Lenoir, N.C.
  • J_Que
    J_Que Posts: 223
    Options
    I know all the rules, but the rules do not know me.

Small, Medium, 2 Large, XL ,Stumps XL Stretch, Workhorse 1975
  • SmokeytheEGG
    Options
    Thanks everyone.  J_Que those pics look great.
    Blue Ridge, GA
  • Little Steven
    Options
    I have a 7 lb turkey breast.  I am going to cook it Friday.  I want to cook it low and slow.  I plan to brine it overnight. I may inject and possibly baste with a thin bbq sauce at the end for a different spin on a turkey.  Any ideas for injection?  I like spicy.  Thanks in advance.  Have a great thanksgiving. 

When I inject I clarify some butter and sauté some herbs and chilis in it for half an hour really low and add some white wine. Strain through a cheesecloth lined sieve