Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rack of Pork "FROM" Costco

Jeepster47
Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
edited November 2014 in EggHead Forum
@QDude ... thanks for pointing out the rack of pork at Costco. 

@RRP ... thanks for sharing your cooking process

Bought two 6 lb racks from Costco this afternoon.  Pulled 2 lbs (2 ribs) off one of the racks and proceeded to follow (loosely, I'm afraid) RRP's directions for cooking the pork.

The pork was prepped with salt, pepper, and garlic powder only.  Then the top and sides were coated with Duke's mayo ... a little too thickly I think.  Used RO lump and heated the egg to 350 at the dome ... grid was 330.  The BGE plate setter was installed with legs up and the grid was placed on the plate setter.  The pork was cooked for 68 minutes and pulled at 145 degrees ... measured with a Thermopen.  The missus said "nice try", it needs a little more cooking.  Sorry Ron.  So back to the egg for another ten minutes until the pork registered 150 degrees.  The missus gave her blessing then and eating commenced.

Based on Ron's recommendation, I hunted down some Blues Hog Tennessee Red ... good stuff.  My BGE dealer also went into his hidden stash and sold me some BBQ White Lightning.  Honest, it's unlabeled, comes in a Mason jar, and is made by a local ... totally different flavor than the Blues, but also very good.

Here's the cook at the 1/3 point:

And the finished product at 150 degrees:

What I learned:

1) I had a slice of the pork at 145 degrees and a slice at 150 degrees.  The difference is not worth arguing about with the missus.

2) Blues Hog is good stuff.

3) Need to learn the best place to place the meat probe ... the first location wasn't the coldest.

4) Just coat, don't bathe the pork in mayo.

5) Put this date on the calendar for next year ... the rack of pork from Costco is good ... very good.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    edited November 2014
    @Jeepster47 - yup...you played fast and loose with the directions I sent you so I don't think I should be held accountable! If nothing else mine was a boneless piece and yours was not...you used your PS and I didn't -as I explained...oh well...and I merely smear on some mayo and don't coat my meat . BTW my mayo has never remained white after the cook ...oh well...good night! :)) :)) :)) ... so I don't get flamed!!!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    The pork looks fantastic my friend. Solid =D>

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Yep, I get all tingly when November rolls around and the rack o' pork is back at Costco. Gotta go get me some.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Jeepster47
    RRP said:
    @Jeepster47 - yup...you played fast and loose with the directions I sent you so I don't think I should be held accountable! If nothing else mine was a boneless piece and yours was not...you used your PS and I didn't -as I explained...oh well...and I merely smear on some mayo and don't coat my meat . BTW my mayo has never remained white after the cook ...oh well...good night!
    @RRP ... oh darn ... geez ... what can I say?  Want to try one more time to educate those who find them selves on the wrong side of the river?

1) Boneless vs not ... what would you do differently due to the bone.

2) Yep, had to use the PS 'cuz I didn't have a small pan and a small rack in the house.  Would suggest that your input was good though.  One end of the rack of pork was a little slower at coming up to temp than the other ... the side that was next to the PS leg.  I have five opportunities to get this right, so will locate a small pan and rack for the next cook.

3)  But, the bottle of Dukes is so big.  I will last forever with only a smear-at-a-time.  And, for some reason I had it in mind that you lathered it on ... I goofed ... not unusual.

4) Yea, I know you're trying to convert folks to 145 degrees one cook at a time ... sorry, can't do it.  I sleep with the woman, and don't want to have to start sleeping with one eye open ...

Plus, the pork was very good tasting ... no drama with the temps taking off (have I told you that I love my SW cap?)

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    edited November 2014
    Ok you long time costco members, how long are these racks around? An I wait till Friday or too late?
  • RRP
    RRP said:
    @Jeepster47 - yup...you played fast and loose with the directions I sent you so I don't think I should be held accountable! If nothing else mine was a boneless piece and yours was not...you used your PS and I didn't -as I explained...oh well...and I merely smear on some mayo and don't coat my meat . BTW my mayo has never remained white after the cook ...oh well...good night!
    @RRP ... oh darn ... geez ... what can I say?  Want to try one more time to educate those who find them selves on the wrong side of the river?

1) Boneless vs not ... what would you do differently due to the bone.

2) Yep, had to use the PS 'cuz I didn't have a small pan and a small rack in the house.  Would suggest that your input was good though.  One end of the rack of pork was a little slower at coming up to temp than the other ... the side that was next to the PS leg.  I have five opportunities to get this right, so will locate a small pan and rack for the next cook.

3)  But, the bottle of Dukes is so big.  I will last forever with only a smear-at-a-time.  And, for some reason I had it in mind that you lathered it on ... I goofed ... not unusual.

4) Yea, I know you're trying to convert folks to 145 degrees one cook at a time ... sorry, can't do it.  I sleep with the woman, and don't want to have to start sleeping with one eye open ...

Plus, the pork was very good tasting ... no drama with the temps taking off (have I told you that I love my SW cap?)
    I went back and added some of these thingees  :)) guess you didn't see them - gotta get to bed
  • You know the holidays are really here when Costco stocks the rack o' pork and Trader Joe's stocks Candy Cane Joe-Joe's

Since the pork is pre-brined, they're pretty forgiving temp-wise.  I've taken them over 165 by accident and still came out ok.  145 definitely better, but 150-155 shouldn't be a problem.

Mamaroneck
  • tulocay
    tulocay Posts: 1,737
    Looks good from here.
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200

Looks great from here. I'm bummed out. I went to Sam's yesterday (its right around the corner from me and I have no idea where the nearest Costco is but I can tell you its too far) and they don't carry this cut. I know I should have asked the butcher, but I was in a rush. I'll look again soon.

Anyway you can show us a picture of your Jeepster?

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    I cooked some 2 rib chops direct at 350 and they turned out fantastic.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • Cut up into 2 rib chops as well, SV for 4 hours at 150, then 90 second sear each side
  • yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    I think Costco keeps them till close to Easter. Don't quote me on that. Ask a meat guy at Costco.
    Dunedin, FL
  • Mross
    Mross Posts: 338
    Our costco kept them all year this last year. It was great!
    Duncan, SC
  • Jeepster47

Griffin said:

... Anyway you can show us a picture of your Jeepster?

If only.  Needed a screen name when I started geocaching in 2001.  My main vehicle was a Jeep, but Grand Cherokee sounded a little (no a lot) presumptuous.  Wrangler was a little off and CJ5 also didn't make the cut.  Jeepster was an older vehicle that was out of production ... kind of fit the bill, since I'm older and out of production.

• Jeepster47
    Pulled the next piece of meat, from the original 6 lb rack, out of the freezer to cook tonight. 

Didn't decide until this afternoon on what to cook, so the missus popped the frozen cut it in the microwave to defrost it ... opps ... the meat around the bone was cooking while the other side of the meat was still frozen.  The turntable was turning.  Does the bone suck up all the microwaves and get hotter than the rest of the cut?

Well, one positive, I now have a boneless cut to more closely follow RRP's suggested cooking method.  Maybe he won't get mad at me tonight and go to bed early!!!  :)

Second question ... will one of the tinfoil pans from Costco hold up to 350 degree direct heat (raised grate ... no plate setter) long enough to cook the pork?  Should take slightly less than an hour.

• RRP

Well, one positive, I now have a boneless cut to more closely follow RRP's suggested cooking method.  Maybe he won't get mad at me tonight and go to bed early!!!  :)

• Jeepster47
    Looks like Ron is into the Christmas spirit already.

Didn't get an answer on whether the tin foil pan would survive direct flame, so build a redneck adjustable rig with three broken bricks and a Weber 14.5" grate to support the pork.  The pan looks good ... might save it and use it for the next cook.  Ron's instructions were to use a grate on a small pan and cook direct.  Cooking time was almost the same as with the plate setter ... 75 minutes at 390 degrees.

The bones were removed and the pork was rubbed with granulated garlic powder, granulated onion powder, salt, and pepper.  Bagged and allowed to set for a couple of hours.  Before it went on the grill it was coated with Red Dirt sauce ... no Dukes mayo this time.  When the missus delivered the pork I asked her "Where's the mayo" and she responded "In the jar", so I said thanks and proceeded to just smile and cook.  Stuck the pork in the egg and cooked until the Maverick said 149 degrees ... no peeking this time.

Tasted good.  I'm beginning to think the egg is carrying me ... can't seem to screw up any meal.

• QDude
    QDude Posts: 1,052

I'm glad you liked it.

A recipe that is great with this is:

Mix 1/2 cup worchestershire sauce with 3 tablespoons of brown sugar.  Apply this to the rack of pork and then liberally coat it with steak seasoning.  Catch the runoff and baste during the cook.

Northern Colorado Egghead since 2012.

XL BGE and a KBQ.