Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

This year's confusion: how to stop the overdone turkey syndrome!

Options
First it was the too hot oil in the fryer.  Then the not calibrated dome thermometer with chared remains in the drip pan that was sitting on the plate-setter.

This year I'm armed to the teeth with a Therma-pen at the ready and the BBQ Guru acting as Drill Instructor (stop, go, stop, go, stop...)!

Do I truss the bird like they do here? or let wings and legs flop in the breeze?

Dump the BGE drip pan and V-Rack in favor of a wider lower foil drip pan?  Thinking the legs back and wings will cook hotter.

To keep the juices from incarnating should I put a pizza stone under an elevated drip pan (over the plate-setter) with V-Rack.

Thanks, <just call me OCD> Mac

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Or drop all that. 400 direct, raised and use you Thermapen to check for 160 in the breast. You just don't need all that. Yes I bought all that crap and it all sits in the garage. No wires ever (spatchcocked). image
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• macmccaskie
    Options
    Good looking bird, I've done spachcocked chicken and it was great!  I'll have to consider it.
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Regardless whether you do spatched or not keep the legs apart. No Henapple that was not a shout out to you

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,767
    Options
    I use a v rack cover parts of the bird loosely after they have darkened to prevent burning....I still trust the wiggle of the leg more than anything. .......I do make a paste of roasted garlic butter and salt stuff under the skin and in the cavity drizzle garlic olive oil before and a couple of times during....12- 14 lbs 2.5 3 hrsish give or take , never burned always done, juicy and great. Never have brined
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • macmccaskie
    Options
    Little Steven: "keep the legs apart" - good advice for the turkey, otherwise I will not go there...;)

lkapigian: what temp?  I got it into my head I'd do 225 - 250.
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    I'm planning closer to 350 indirect. That was where I ran my test bird and that worked out ok. 13# bird for about 3 hr and some change in a rack indirect.
  • Eggbertsdad
    Options
    Will a 12 lb spatch-cocked turkey fit on a large? I don't want to do this if it won't fit.

Thanks!
    Sarasota, FL via Boynton Beach, FL, via Sarasota, FL, via Charleston, SC, via The Outer Banks, via God's Country (East TN on Ft. Loudon Lake)
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    Will a 12 lb spatch-cocked turkey fit on a large? I don't want to do this if it won't fit.

Thanks!

I've done 3 5# chickens on my large at one time so I'm guessing yes. Put a string around the thickest part of the thighs and see how long that is. It would be a little smaller than that. Just a thought, never tested it. I'm not working tomorrow so you can guess my state of mind. FWIW.
  • CincyTiki
    Options
    @Eggbertsdad‌ - 16lb Spatch'd on a Large, no problem
    Enjoying life in Cincinnati, Ohio - Large BGE & MiniMax BGE
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    Here is a comparison for you - if chewing your turkey is like taking a bite of this balsa wood airplane then you probably over cooked it!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • revolver1
    Options
    RRP said:
    Here is a comparison for you - if chewing your turkey is like taking a bite of this balsa wood airplane then you probably over cooked it!

That's a good one RRP.

Dan, Columbia,Mo.
  • pileit1971
    Options
    CincyTiki said:
    Looks good, so you do your Spatch'd indirect?
    Large BGE
    Camp Chef 4 burner Griddle

Near Cleveland, Ohio
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    I have to agree with Mickey, I am going spatchcock this year as well. Raised 400 just like I do my chickens. 

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • Mickey
    Options
    JRWhitee said:
    I have to agree with Mickey, I am going spatchcock this year as well. Raised 400 just like I do my chickens. 

Plus 1
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• CincyTiki
    Options
    @pileit1971‌ I do Spatch'd Turkey both direct and indirect. If I am doing dressing, I go indirect and put a small spacer on top of the platesetter and then the pan of dressing, that way the dressing gets flavored with the drippings from the bird. (Need the spacer to not burn the dressing) I put a separate temp probe in the dressing since it gets done well before the Turkey, turned it to carbon the first year without one (that was ugly) If I am just doing the Turkey, I go raised direct. We will go to Costco first thing Friday morning and the Turkeys will be 1/2 price (or less), we will pick up 3, and set up a spatch'd assembly line, cooking them in a row one after the other, vac packaging and freezing them. Lots of good eating out of the freezer for months. :)
    Enjoying life in Cincinnati, Ohio - Large BGE & MiniMax BGE
  • pileit1971
    Options
    How high is "raised"?

I have the AR Rig, just curious if the felt line is good, or should I put it on the top level...

And I am sure this is kind of the difference, but how much space between the fire ring and charcoal level.  Know its not a long cook, so guessing don't want to fill it up as it will put coals to close to bird.

Thanks guys!
    Large BGE

Near Cleveland, Ohio
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    The higher the better, I will put mine on the top of the AR.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • Mickey
    Options
    How high is "raised"?

I have the AR Rig, just curious if the felt line is good, or should I put it on the top level...

And I am sure this is kind of the difference, but how much space between the fire ring and charcoal level.  Know its not a long cook, so guessing don't want to fill it up as it will put coals to close to bird.

Thanks guys!

• pileit1971
    Options
    THank you!!!
    Large BGE

Near Cleveland, Ohio
  • Eggbertsdad
    Options
    CincyTiki said:
    That is beautiful! It should be no problem, them. By the way, I have those same tiki torches with the liquid to fend off the skeeters. 
    Sarasota, FL via Boynton Beach, FL, via Sarasota, FL, via Charleston, SC, via The Outer Banks, via God's Country (East TN on Ft. Loudon Lake)
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I'm surprised no one has mentioned Max. Or maybe they HAVE tried. I know I have - about five times, but I keep getting the "waiting for approval" nonsense.  Trying one last time without the full addy or the pic.

nakedwhiz dot com/madmaxturkey.htm

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,528
    edited November 2014
    Options
    original:
    Let me try the back door Michael  :D

edit 1:
    canuckland
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    Wow. Has BGE blocked links to TNW's site? Or is it just another of Vanilla's value added features? I was only able to post it after I removed http:// and replaced the . with dot. And I tried at least FIVE TIMES!!

Whatever. It's a great recipe/method. Check it out.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Carolina Q
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Canugghead, how'd you DO that? Five attempts was no exaggeration. Quit my browser, logged off and back on. Tried with and without a pic. No joy.

But thanks. LOL

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Carolina Q
    Options
    Wonder if I can post Max's pic now...purty, ain't it?

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Carolina Q
    Options
    weird

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Canugghead
    Options
    Michael, I edited my post to show the three steps.  First time, just post an 'innocent' line, after that go back to edit and it's free for all, shhhhhhhh!
    canuckland
  • Canugghead
    Options
    Wonder if I can post Max's pic now...purty, ain't it?

Michael, now you're really confusing @macmccaskie, legs spread or in bondage?
    canuckland
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    If going high in the dome-remove the clip and your dome thermo when loading the LBGE.  Then reinsert your thermo making sure it doesn't impale the bird.  (True wine corks make great spacers for the thermo on the outside of the BGE).  YMMV-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • macmccaskie
    Options
    "Michael, now you're really confusing @macmccaskie, legs spread or in bondage?"

Naw, all's good, thanks for the tips.  I think I've got it now.   It won't be spachcocked but a loose tie-up.  Unless something else distracts me, I'm going indirect (legs up) raised at 325 with liquid kept in the drip pan.  Mad Max convinced me. 

Does anyone cook turkey low and slow?