Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Playing w/Mini Max-#2 Prototype Woo & High Que

Mickey
Mickey Posts: 19,669
edited November 2014 in EggHead Forum
Doing my every 3 or 4 year clean out of the Eggs I pulled one of the 10" fire grates (High-Que) that live in both Larges (the Mini also has a High-Que in it). In one pic the High-Que is laying over the 10" Mini Max fire grate to show the MM takes the same size fire grate as the Large....... In one pic is the High-Que in the MM as a replacement fire grate and another pic showing the black drilled fire grate that comes std with the MM...... One pic is showing as a 10" grid sitting on the bottom ring of the #2 prototype Woo (acting like a spyder). Just off the top of the lump. This is going to be nice with a 10" or 11" grid down there.
Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

Comments

• Mickey
    imageimageimageimage
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• @Mickey did the MM benefit from using the Hi Que? I thought mine came up to temp quickly, so had not thought it would be needed. Any sign of Woo prototype #3? Thanks, Gerry
    Enjoying life in Cincinnati, Ohio - Large BGE & MiniMax BGE
  • Mickey
    CincyTiki said:
    @Mickey did the MM benefit from using the Hi Que? I thought mine came up to temp quickly, so had not thought it would be needed. Any sign of Woo prototype #3? Thanks, Gerry

Sorry but did not try it. I am a big fan of the High-Que and more than likely to go ahead and add it. But getting the two Larges ready for spatchcocked turkey and the other for a 20lb ham. The Woo 3 should be in Tuesday and will send out pics then. I am with you it comes up to temp quick. Still will add he High-Que I am sure. For sure using the lower ring on the Woo and a 10"-11" grid will be a great sear machine for steak.

• @Mickey, how large a wok do you think the MM would work best with? Thanks, Gerry
  • Mickey
    edited November 2014
    CincyTiki said:
    @Mickey, how large a wok do you think the MM would work best with? Thanks, Gerry

This is a 13" setting on the Woo #2 Prototype. (((Question: is the pic setting right side up on your computer?))) image

• YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    @Mickey, no, the pic is sideways on my PC.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• On the iPad, inserted image is correct, thumbnail is 90* counterclockwise.
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Mickey - thanks for the pics, I am intrigued. Could you post a couple with the woo2 in the egg in the different possible configurations? I can't quite figure how it goes from the setting with the wok to the spider configuration. If it's easy to change around I can see this being a fantastic little setup. Thanks! --Ben
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Mickey does the 13" wok sit directly onto the CGS WOO prototype #2 or is there another piece needed. Please do this test with #3 also. With #3 is one of the goals to be able to still use the OEM PS? I'm hoping #3 is the winner. I've never had a wok for my egg but, I'm definitely interested in one along with the WOO for the MM. I've been impressed at the quickness it comes up to higher temps and its ability to sustain long L&S temps. It's an efficient little workhorse.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • NPHuskerFL
    The thumbnail shows up sideways. Click onto thumbnail and the large image is correct. I'm on mobile Android Chrome Browser and I get the same result when looking at desktop site view.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • Cheers Mickey, thanks for the answers.
  • Mickey
    Mickey does the 13" wok sit directly onto the CGS WOO prototype #2 or is there another piece needed. Please do this test with #3 also. With #3 is one of the goals to be able to still use the OEM PS? I'm hoping #3 is the winner. I've never had a wok for my egg but, I'm definitely interested in one along with the WOO for the MM. I've been impressed at the quickness it comes up to higher temps and its ability to sustain long L&S temps. It's an efficient little workhorse.

The reason for the Woo #3 is for a fraction of an inch to allow the OEM Platesetter to fully rest on Woo. The 13" wok sets directly on the Woo.

• Mickey
    blind99 said:
    Mickey - thanks for the pics, I am intrigued. Could you post a couple with the woo2 in the egg in the different possible configurations? I can't quite figure how it goes from the setting with the wok to the spider configuration. If it's easy to change around I can see this being a fantastic little setup. Thanks! --Ben

imageimageimage

• blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Thanks!
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Mickey said:

The reason for the Woo #3 is for a fraction of an inch to allow the OEM Platesetter to fully rest on Woo.
    The 13" wok sets directly on the Woo.

Ahh! Thank you. That answers my questions from the previous threads.
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • Mickey
    Jeremiah said:

The reason for the Woo #3 is for a fraction of an inch to allow the OEM Platesetter to fully rest on Woo. The 13" wok sets directly on the Woo.
    Ahh! Thank you. That answers my questions from the previous threads.

The reason for the Woo #3 is for a fraction of an inch to allow the OEM Platesetter to fully rest on Woo. The 13" wok sets directly on the Woo. Ahh! Thank you. That answers my questions from the previous threads.
    Here is what is stopping the #2 from accepting the Platesetter. It will as is fit the 11" stone but this far tom the PS. Note the Woo has three legs/points going down. This PS is setting flat on two of the points and just this far from falling into the Woo. image

• Mickey
    WTF. That answer was not how I typed it. Can you pick it apart and figure it out.

• Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    edited November 2014
    I got it. Thanks mickey.
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • NPHuskerFL
    Recommend Wok from The Wok Shop? 13" hammered carbon steel flat bottom, regular carbon steel flat bottom or carbon steel traditional round bottom? I want to learn this. Looks fun and delicious.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • Recommend Wok from The Wok Shop? 13" hammered carbon steel flat bottom, regular carbon steel flat bottom or carbon steel traditional round bottom? I want to learn this. Looks fun and delicious.
    carbon steel round bottom. Yes on the wok shop. Awesome place and she's a cool lady. 

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Mickey
    edited November 2014
    Recommend Wok from The Wok Shop? 13" hammered carbon steel flat bottom, regular carbon steel flat bottom or carbon steel traditional round bottom? I want to learn this. Looks fun and delicious.

What CenTex said. Please say hello when you call Ms Chain (super lady). photo photo2_zps7f06a99d.jpg

• Mickey
    @NPHuskerFL‌ just found another shot of Wok & Woo image

• are using an iPhone? your pics are all over the place depending on what I view them on.
  • Mickey
    are using an iPhone? your pics are all over the place depending on what I view them on.

John mostly iphone and rest ipad. I shoot portrait 99.5%. Will the damn things straighten up if shoot landscape??

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Any clue what the price will be on this?
  • Mickey said:
    are using an iPhone? your pics are all over the place depending on what I view them on.

John mostly iphone and rest ipad. I shoot portrait 99.5%. Will the damn things straighten up if shoot landscape??
    yes. for whatever reason landscape is the only thing that formats the picture from idevices correctly on all platforms on here.

• Mickey
    Lit said:
    Any clue what the price will be on this?

Pricing is over my pay grade. #3 will be here today and should let the Platesetter drop in. Will try it and shoot it and post later. Bet pricing will follow shortly.

• Mickey
    @The Cen-Tex Smoker Thanks my friend.

• NPHuskerFL
    Pic thumbnails are sideways. However, once you click to enlarge it is correct. No worries.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • NPHuskerFL
    Your wok appears to be a round bottom?
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014