Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Nubee® Temperature Gun Non-contact Infrared Thermometer w/ Laser Sight by Nubee

Are they worth it?

http://www.amazon.com/Nubee®-Temperature-Non-contact-Infrared-Thermometer/dp/B00CVHIJDK/ref=sr_1_22?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1416870573&sr=1-22
2 Xl's, MM and Forno Bello
Pizza Oven in Bergen County, NJ

Comments

• td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,821
    Infareds can be handy but thermapens are a must.
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited November 2014
    Link isn't working?

But I like mine, a necessity for the Blackstone pizza oven.  
    Also, it's nice to know temps of your cast iron and steel for searing.  

For eggin, it would fall into the "nice to have" category. 

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Never heard of that brand. Doesn't mean it's bad, it just means I haven't heard if it. I have this one from thermoworks $39. Love it.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• kdink
    kdink Posts: 336
    Focker said:
    Link isn't working?

But I like mine, a necessity for the Blackstone pizza oven.  
    Also, it's nice to know temps of your cast iron and steel for searing.  

For eggin, it would fall into the "nice to have" category. 

Sorry!
    Try this one

http://www.amazon.com/Nubee®-Temperature-Non-contact-Infrared-Thermometer/dp/B00CVHIJDK
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Here's the Nubee link. :)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Look like it only goes up to 716* F. I also have the same Thermoworks one that Carolina Q linked to. It looks like it is on sale right now for $39 ($30 off). If you want to do pizza, go buy the Thermoworks one, goes up to 1022*. If you don't do pizza, don't bother with one at all. That's the only time I use mine.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • kdink
    kdink Posts: 336
    DMW said:
    Look like it only goes up to 716* F. I also have the same Thermoworks one that Carolina Q linked to. It looks like it is on sale right now for $39 ($30 off). If you want to do pizza, go buy the Thermoworks one, goes up to 1022*. If you don't do pizza, don't bother with one at all. That's the only time I use mine.
    I do make pizza but usually at about 550.

• Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    I also have the thermoworks one and have found lots of use for it.  Pizza is the main one on the egg, but it is also useful to check for leaks around windows and any other surface in your house.  Definitely worth the $39.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • piney
    piney Posts: 1,478
    When those things came out I bought one from Mac Tools for about 200.00... still got it ...used it today now I would buy ThermoWorks
    Lenoir, N.C.