Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

beer cooler jockey box

Has anyone every made a beer cooler jockey box and if so what online kits do you recommend

Thanks any help is appreciated

Hermosa Beach CA 

Comments

• Greeno55
    Greeno55 Posts: 635
    edited November 2014
    I made this bad boy. It's a 5 gallon Home Depot cooler, the copper coil is just a 3/8 tubing pancake I wrapped around a corny keg, and bought some odds and ends from an online homebrew store. I spent less than $100, which as I'm sure you are aware is a fraction of buying it. Let me know how I can help. imageimageimageimage
    LBGE (2012), MiniMax (2014), and too many Eggcessories to list.  - Sudbury, Ontario
  • McStew
    McStew Posts: 965
    do you recommend hooking it up to CO2 or is that not necessary ?
    Hermosa Beach CA 
  • Greeno55
    Oh it absolutely needs to be hooked up to gas. It actually takes a pretty high psi to push the beer through over 50' of line. I usually set it between 25-30.
    LBGE (2012), MiniMax (2014), and too many Eggcessories to list.  - Sudbury, Ontario
  • McStew
    Thanks @Greeno55
    Hermosa Beach CA 
  • Greeno55
    edited November 2014
    No worries bud! It was a fun build, and even more fun to test out. Let me know if you need any other help. Cheers!
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    I love thermodynamics in a beverage setting =D>
    Awesome!!!
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    woah . . 
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    That is too cool!! :-bd

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• rtt121
    rtt121 Posts: 653
    I wouldn't leave your keg hooked up at 25-30 psi when your not using it.

It wont take too long before you can only pour foam as it will become way overcarbonated.
    Medium, and XL eggs in Galloway NJ.  Just outside of Atlantic City.  
  • McStew
    @rtt121 thanks I only plan on shot term runs with this project 1-1.5 days  
    Hermosa Beach CA 
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Yeah I leave my kegerator at home usually around 6 PSI and that seems to work well.
  • rtt121
    Lit said:
    Yeah I leave my kegerator at home usually around 6 PSI and that seems to work well.
    It is a balanced system.  6psi works well for you but how much beer line from tap to keg?  I am guessing about 10 feet?  That same 6psi with a 3 foot beer line would be way too much pressure for the tap.. but if you were to turn it down to 2-3 psi you would have undercarbonated beer.

PSI = Beer line length = carbonation level of your beverage

Its all about finding the sweet spot and any one change affects all three
  • rtt121
    This is why restaurants and bars use "beer gas".  Its is a nitro/co2 mix.  This gives the ability to turn the PSI way up to match very long beer lines... only the co2 in the mix carbonates and thus you do not end up with over carbonated beverage.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,657
    mine was pretty simple, guinness doesnt need to be too cold. i dont remember what i set the pressure at with the 75%/25% nitrogen/co2. i bought enough guinness one year that the distributor set me up with tap and handle for free
    :D

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Lit
    @rtt121 when I was setting up my kegerator and researching the right PSI I never read anything about the line length as a factor and I read numerous sites. I did read line diameter is a factor and the type and temperature of beer but never anything about line length. Maybe thats because kegerators have short enough lines that it isn't a factor but just saying thats the first I have heard.
  • rtt121
    edited November 2014
     It is most certainly a factor.

The first google search I clicked on after typing balancing psi and beer line was:

A matter of balance
    Calculating the correct dispensing pressure and making changes to the system is known as “balancing” and is critical to pouring a perfect beer. Balance is not only dependent on the carbonation level and the temperature of the beer, but several other factors also enter into the equation. These include the overall height difference between the keg and the tap, the length and diameter of the dispensing line and the type of tap being used. Changes to any one of these will change the balance of the system.
  • rtt121
    edited November 2014
    There are other variables as well.. such as is the beer working with or against gravity.. temp of beer etc..

IMO the balancing act was always between PSI, Line Length, and desired carbonation.

Also IMO 6psi is not enough to keep the beer carbonated to my preferences.  I always worked my way back from desired carbonation.  Which for me and my cold kegerator at 35degrees means I need about 12PSI.  In order to pour a nice beer with 12psi I have about 16 feet of 3/16" beer line.  My tap is only 3 feet from my Kegerator.
  • Greeno55
    edited November 2014
    Correct, you definitely would not want to leave your keg charging at 30psi for a period of time, unless of course you are charging it.  But then using a jockey box at an event, or camping for an evening or two, you really do need a lot of pressure to combat the resistance of the 54 or so feet of line you are pushing the beer through.  Line length does play a major role in psi settings.  At home, at 42 degrees, I keep most of my brews at 10-12psi which gives me a co2 volume of 2.4-2.6.  Works perfect for my needs.  When I had shorter lines, 10-12 psi was way too much.
  • rtt121
    Greeno55 said:
    Correct, you definitely would not want to leave your keg charging at 30psi for a period of time, unless of course you are charging it.  But then using a jockey box at an event, or camping to an evening or two, you really do need a lot of pressure to combat the resistance of the 54 or so feet of line you are pushing the beer through.  Line length does play a major role in psi settings.  At home, at 42 degrees, I keep most of my brews at 10-12psi which gives me a co2 volume of 2.4-2.6.  Works perfect for my needs.
    +1
  • Lit
    @rtt121 at 12 PSI I get 80% foam when I pour a beer. Mine is one of the small beermeister units so it has under 5' of hose and I keep it at 34-35 degrees.
  • rtt121
    @lit that is because you only have 5' of hose. it is too much pressure for that little hose.

If you replaced the 5' with ~15ft it would pour the same way it does now with 6 except you would have more (IMO better) carbonation after it balances.  FWIW most of the hose/line should stay inside the beermeister it is simply their for resistance.
  • McStew
    Seems like a bit of an art form to get the correct settings.  Is this something I should even try when only using 1-3 times a year?  

Hermosa Beach CA 
  • rtt121
    edited November 2014
    @McStew it sounds more complicated that it is.  I would do it.. its fun in itself.

If using a setup like the jockey box with really long beer lines I would:

Lets say you need 50psi to push it through.  I would only have 50psi on the beer when you are serving. IE if you do not finish your keg the day you tap it, unhook it.  Then bleed off the pressure on the keg.  Then I would hook the co2 back up to the keg with 12 psi.. once it takes the c02 you are ready to repeat another day.

EDIT: It takes a while (1-3 days) for the beer carbonation to match the PSI.  So if you hook up 50psi to the keg it will not immediately overcarbonate it. If you left it overnight you would start to notice a difference.
  • Greeno55
    McStew said:
    Seems like a bit of an art form to get the correct settings.  Is this something I should even try when only using 1-3 times a year?  

Don't let all the balancing talk worry you.  This is more for a home keg system where you'll be pouring from it regularly and beer is sitting for some time.  For a jockey box, attach a keg, put the gas to it, and start at 20 psi, if you don't like the pour, bump to 25, and then to 30.  If it's too high, lower it, relieve some keg pressure and go again.  That's all you have to do for that.  There's no real issue other than making sure you have an ice water bath in the box itself.    A few other things to think of, make sure its a water bath, and not just a bunch of ice.  The bath surrounds the coils with near freezing water, making the heat transfer amazing, and super cold pours.  Also, make sure to have beer in the lines before you add the ice and water.  I read in some forums where adding the ice water over empty lines caused them to cool so much, beer was freezing in the line.  I don't use mine all that often, but when I do, it's been so worth it.
  • McStew
    @greeno55 thanks I will post pictures of my progress as parts arrive 
    Hermosa Beach CA 
  • Lit
    Thanks @rtt121. I may have to get a longer hose and test it out. I know the pressure is very sensitive on mine. Even a pound or 2 makes a huge difference.
  • rtt121
    I would try it.  Let me know how it goes!
  • Greeno55
    Lit said:
    Thanks @rtt121. I may have to get a longer hose and test it out. I know the pressure is very sensitive on mine. Even a pound or 2 makes a huge difference.
    When I was having problems with massive foam pours I did two things.  I first put in a small computer fan pointing up the beer tower to keep those lines cold that were outside of the fridge, and then I replaced the beer lines with longer, higher quality ones.  Haven't looked back.  I eventually upgraded my faucets, and that helped with pours as well, but not necessary to get rid of the foam.
  • Lit
    I may need to replace the lines. The tower and hose stay really cold they are insulated well.
  • Greeno55
    edited November 2014
    @McStew @Lit @rtt121 Are you all home brewers?