Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Barbeques Galore Charcoal!

Well after trying the BGE charcoal and not liking it due to small prieces I went to my bbq shop and tried this all natural charcoal, very impressed and highly recommend it!

Comments

• dldawes1
    dldawes1 Posts: 2,208
    Where are you located?  I've never saw that brand before.

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !! 

• Live in Arizona, that's the stores name Barbeques Galore.
  • hornhonk
    hornhonk Posts: 3,841
    I disagree. It's terrible! I did a demo cook at their store in Allen, Texas and was embaressed to no end.
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    It would help if you post your observations of why its good or bad, and how it compares to a baseline charcoal like BGE lump / Royal Oak or something else widely used.  Kinda hard for the rest of us to evaluate it when the only information is I like it and I don't like it statements.  
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • hornhonk
    hornhonk Posts: 3,841
    Horrible sparking and ash covering the food...while showing off the egg to potential buyers. Better?
  • With my case this charcoal burns slower so lays longer and doesn't have that hard of wood flavor like the BGE, I also have more stable temp when set it. And due to cleaning I have less ash on bottom of egg compared to BGE!
  • DieselkW
    DieselkW Posts: 894
    edited November 2014
    It's private labeled Lazzari Lump.

Well, here we go again! For the second time, Barbeques Galore has changed the supplier of their house brand lump charcoal shortly after we did a review, so we are going to have to start all over again! This is a move in a positive direction for Barbeques Galore since their previous house brand was "logs and dust" mesquite which got a pretty low rating from us. They are now selling charcoal from Mexico made from oak. They are getting this charcoal through a company you should all be familiar with, Lazzari. As to what kind of oak, this is what we found out from our contact at Barbeques Galore:
    "100% Oak from ecologically harvested natural tree branches. No scrap or trunk. Wood is from several species of Oak."
    This sounds very similar to the wood from which Sierra Madre charcoal is made. (Sierra Madre charcoal is sold in Mexico. There were plans to bring it to the U.S. but it didn't work out. We should be publishing a review of Sierra Madre charcoal in the near future for our Mexican readers...

Indianapolis, IN

BBQ is a celebration of culture in America. It is the closest thing we have to the wines and cheeses of Europe. 

Drive a few hundred miles in any direction, and the experience changes dramatically. 

• Great info DieselkW thanks