Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Eggcellent 3 Way Moroccan Meal

jfm0830
jfm0830 Posts: 987
edited November 2014 in EggHead Forum
I made this a little while ago but haven't had time to post it. Before I get buried in Thanksgiving prep I figured I'd get it posted. This is a meal I built around a Moroccan influenced lamb chop recipe. The other two items were a grilled corn salad and grilled flat bread with za'atar.

MINT & CUMIN SPICED LAMB CHOPS:
The lamb chops were covered with an herb paste/marinade and refrigerated over night. I love Moroccan food with their complex blends of many spices that seem like they will be overly hot or overly sweet, but just come out perfect when you try it. The chops were direct grilled at medium high for about 3 minutes a side. I had several thicknesses of chop, so I temped them with my Thermapen so the were each coming off at 130 and after a 5 minute rest they reached 135.

GRILLED CORN SALAD:
I always love recipes where you can't overcook something. Your goal is to burn and char the food. This salad had you char the corn using high heat. After the corn had cooled the kernels were stripped off and combined with the other ingredients.

GRILLED FLAT BREAD:
Moroccan spice blends can be complex (but excellent) and this recipe for za'atar was no exception. One of the ingredients was a spice blend called Ras al Hanout, which itself is a blend of 15 spices. And this was just for the topping for the flatbread. The flatbreads were grilled for under a minute over high heat. I used the Adjustable Rig and the Rig Extender to get me up into the dome, 6" above the fire ring.

FINAL RESULTS:

This meal was a big hit. People couldn't stop picking at the grilled corn salad throughout the meal. Everyone loved the Moroccan spiced lamb chops with a complex sweet & spicy flavor. Everyone agreed the homemade Moroccan flatbread was the best flatbread was the best flatbread we;d ever tasted. These were 3 great recipes and it was a case of having the "problem" of not knowing what to try first.

Jim

3 LBGE & More Eggcessories than I care to think about.

Comments