Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

first cook on the Mini Max

Options
I pulled the trigger and bought a Mini Max.  My first cook was a pork butt.  I filled it with as much lump as I thought I should, I wanted some space between the plate setter and the coals.  It only took 11 minutes for the Mini Max to hit 250 degrees.  I cooked at 250 - 275 for 8 hours, and when the butt was done, I opened up the vents and grilled a hamburger.  I was amazed how much lump I had left!  Usually we cook a butt till it reaches 160 degrees, then wrap in tin-foil with a bit of apple juice till it reaches 185 degrees.  It is faster that way.  But I wanted to find out how long I could cook on the mini-max, so we just let it go until it was done.  The bark was so amazing, It was just as good as bacon!  There was no room for a V-rack, so we just set the butt in a pie pan.  The pulled pork was so good, my wife would not allow me to add any BBQ sauce to it! 

I can not speak to the concern that some have about the lack of space between the coals, since my only direct cook was a hamburger (Which was great),  but I will soon find out.  Tomorrow night we will try salmon cooked direct.  It looks like I will not need to add lump, so there will be a little more space between the fire and the grill, but I am a bit nervous that I will ruin my wife's salmon.   This little egg rocks!

Comments