Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Corn casserole vs. souffle?

Options

I'm looking for a baked side with corn. Found a number of recipes for corn casserole and soufflé, with many variations. What's the difference between the two? Any tried and tested BGE-centric recipes that folks use regularly? Recipes that are easy on the butter would be great.

Thanks!

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.

Comments

• GaryLange
    GaryLange Posts: 418
    edited November 2014
    Options
    SCALLOPED CORN

2-16oz Can Cream Style Corn
    2-c. Whole Milk
    2-c. Saltine Cracker Crumbs
    4-eggs

In a separate bowl mix all ingredients together, add salt and pepper to taste. Pour mixture into a greased 1-1/2 quart casserole. Bake 45 min at 350°. Center should be somewhat firm.
    I make this at Thanksgiving and Christmas and it is awesome good.

• Little Steven
    Options
    Try a Maque Choux. Souffle is good but you won't get a lot of corn in it and it's a bear to do as a side. You can make it in advance but it will sink.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Brisket_Fanatic
    Brisket_Fanatic Posts: 2,884
    edited November 2014
    Options
    We do one all the time and is super easy. Couldn't tell you the difference between a souffle but we call this a casserole. It's a can of cream corn, can of drained regular corn, box of jiffy corn bread mix. 1 egg and a stick of butter........ Bake til done about 45 minutes at 350 in stone baking dish. O wait you said easy in the butter, sorry this is not it but dang is it good.

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options

@GaryLange, LS, and @Brisket_Fanatic - sorry , I just realized that I had not responded.

I ended up adapting a recipe from Saveur, but added jalapenos, and subbed Jiffy mix for cornmeal. It ended up quite tasty, and SWMBO said we should drop the mashed potatoes from the T-day menu and just make this instead.

Thanks for the suggestions!

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.