Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lots of White Smoke

Options
Started off last night doing a nice choice tri tip from Costco using Hasty Bake.  I had cleaned out the LBGE earlier and started with a fresh load of charcoal, about 1/4 from the top of the fire bowl.  I fired it up and got it up to about 650 and dropped the meat on and dialed it down a bit.  It looked like a good hot clean burn going so i closed it up.  When I went to flip the meat (400 or so) it just poured out white smoke when I opened it up and kept that up for quite a while.  

The meat cooked up fine, but definitely had a little different flavor.  I've just never seen that much white smoke.
LBGE - I like the hot stuff.  The big dry San Joaquin Valley, Clovis, CA 

Comments

• Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    Could be a piece of lump that was not all the way er, cooked.
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    Any smoking wood? I've had that happen when a chunk flared up when I opened the dome.
  • logchief
    logchief Posts: 1,415
    Options
    Any smoking wood? I've had that happen when a chunk flared up when I opened the dome.
    Just charcoal
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    What he means is what I meant as well. Sometimes when lump made, a piece doesn't get burned all the way. Then when you have it in the egg it flames up and doesn't burn clean like the others.
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @logchief‌- Question. Was there a stone, plate setter, pan or a combination thereof used?

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Options
    Did a batch of sausage earlier since my egg was still hot from the dinner cook... Had white smoke as well, it may have been from the drippings hitting the hot lump... I'm sure there was more fat drippings coming out of the sausage I cooked vs a piece of Tri tip
  • keepervodeflame
    Options
    Sounds to me like you closed it down too much, and choked the fire. Did it start to burn when you opened it up. 
  • travisstrick
    Options
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Gunk from past cooks starting to burn off?
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • logchief
    Options
    SGH said:
    @logchief‌- Question. Was there a stone, plate setter, pan or a combination thereof used?
    Nope, direct.  Maybe I did choke it down too much.  I'm learning, it still was good.

Thanks everybody.
  • bweekes
    bweekes Posts: 725
    Options
    How much of a fat cap was on it? My guess is when you flipped it so the fat side was down, the smoke started. I just finished up a SV tri tip on the egg and had quite a bit of white smoke due to the fat burning off. Luckily I just needed a sear for colour, so I kept the egg open to allow the smoke to escape quickly without imparting a bitter taste to the steak. 
    Ajax, ON Canada
    (XL BGE, MED BGE, La Caja China #2, and the wife's Napoleon gasser)
  • logchief
    Options
    Yeah, it had a pretty good fat cap and I started it with that up, so good chance that was it, being direct.
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    edited November 2014
    Options
    logchief said:
    it looked like a good hot clean burn going so i closed it up.  
    Are you saying you closed both vents?  If so, that's your problem.  You never want to close off the air flow unless you're done cooking, you'll snuff the fire and get nasty stale smoke.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• Grillin_beers
    Options
    More than likely it's just grease in the egg. When's the last time you did a clean burn? I've done a bunch of low and slow lately and when I did pizza tonight I had a lot of grease smoke.
    1 large BGE, Spartanburg SC

My dog thinks I'm a grilling god. 
  • logchief
    Options
    Only closed it down enough to drop in back to 350-400 about a third of the lower vent and daisy was almost open all the way.  I've got a lot more practicing to do, but it'll be tasty and fun.  Thanks
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Why let it go to 600 if you wanted a 400 fire?? Once you choked the vents down it was somewhat oxygen deprived from being running at 600. I always try to catch my fire on the way up and then let it burn clean. I missed my mark last week and choked it down but didn't wait long enough before I put the meat on and had exactly what you described.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    @logchief‌, could be from shutting down the vents to quickly and started smoldering. My guess is that it was just the meat. If you a few burgers on the egg and close the lid it will smoke like crazy until the burgers lose moisture.
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • logchief
    Options
    Thanks. I appreciate all the feedback, I need all I can get