Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Has anyone ever buttermilk brined a turkey breast

Options
piney
piney Posts: 1,478
I have been reading up on brining a turkey breast with a buttermilk brine. Has anyone attempted this before and what was the outcome?
Lenoir, N.C.

Comments

• Brisket_Fanatic
    Options
    We have soaked chicken breasts in buttermilk and then baked them in a pan indirect on the egg with really good results. One of my most favorite ways to cook wild goose breast is to soak  in salt water first, then rinse well and then into a buttermilk bath for a few hours, then cube and wrap in bacon and gill until medium rare. Sorry that is a little off topic but yes you could most definitly brine in buttermilk with IMHO great results.

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options

We have soaked chicken breasts in buttermilk and then baked them in a pan indirect on the egg with really good results. One of my most favorite ways to cook wild goose breast is to soak  in salt water first, then rinse well and then into a buttermilk bath for a few hours, then cube and wrap in bacon and gill until medium rare. Sorry that is a little off topic but yes you could most definitly brine in buttermilk with IMHO great results.

Awesome idea! I like soaking chicken in buttermilk before frying it.

@piney go for it I bet it'll be great!!!
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    A plain buttermilk soak before breading for CFS is a must to help tenderize it, never thought of it being a flavour component. We have always salt/sugar brined poultry, as buttermilk is about 90% water, don't see why it couldn't be used for brining. Learn something every day.
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • GrannyX4
    GrannyX4 Posts: 1,491
    Options
    I have and I much prefer water/salt/seasoning brine for turkey. More flavor and moister in my opinion. ;;)
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    piney said:

I have been reading up on brining a turkey breast with a buttermilk brine. Has anyone attempted this before and what was the outcome?

I brined my liver at brisket camp
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • piney
    Options
    Yeah, I did a pretty damn good job at it too! Good to hear from you Apple.
    Lenoir, N.C.
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    GrannyX4 said:
    I have and I much prefer water/salt/seasoning brine for turkey. More flavor and moister in my opinion. ;;)
    I'll take @GrannyX4 word for it, I'll stick with the water/salt/spice brine. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    henapple said:
    I brined my liver at brisket camp
    Is that brining or pickling?  :-?
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @piney‌
    Brother I myself have never used it for turkey. For fried chicken, yes. However there are numerous folks on the WVB forum that rave about smoked buttermilk turkeys. They all seem to really like it. Again I havent tried it on turkey but judging by what it does to chicken it should be awesome.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• piney
    Options
    Thanks to all, I think I might try one in the near future and see how it turns out. I will keep everyone posted. Thanks, Gary 
    Lenoir, N.C.
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,527
    Options
    MCAH (Modernist Cuisine at Home) has a sous vide turkey breast recipe that calls for injecting with AJ, whole milk, salt and sugar.  Gives the turkey a 'pleasantly sweet flavor'.
    canuckland
  • piney
    Options
    I just went freezer diving and found a breast that says 15% solution. I don't know how much difference that will make but, I am gonna try it and see what happens 
    Lenoir, N.C.
  • HawkeyeEgghead
    HawkeyeEgghead Posts: 88
    edited November 2014
    Options

I often use a buttermilk and apple cider brine.  I use bone in breast only and add little or no smoke wood.  The good thing is the recipe tolerates enhanced turkeys well if you can't find fresh. The recipe produces a slightly tangy turkey in my opinion.  Here is the link to the Kansas City Star article and recipe.  Good with chicken breast too...

• piney
    Options
    Thanks Hawkeye,very interesting I will check on this a little deeper
    Lenoir, N.C.
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    Padma Lakshmi recommends a buttermilk brine for turkey but I have not tried it.

Johns Creek, Georgia