Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Anyone have a Beer Chicken recipe???

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am looking for a good recipe for beer can chicken. I plan on using my favorite beer, Blue Moon. Also, I need to buy a chicken sitter. Has anyone ever used those sitter's where you dump the beer in??? Help with temps and times would be great. Thanks guys and gals!!!

Comments

• Matt in the STL,
    rub the bird with evoo and dizzy tsunami spin. ..set up your egg indirect with grid over inverted plate setter. ..throw a hunk of wood on the fire (i like apple or guava or pecan for chicken). . .dome temp at 350 degrees. . ..open the can and poke a couple of extra holes in the top with a can opener. ...pour a tablespoon or two of the tsunami spin right in the beer. ...you don't need a holder per say. .. stick the can up the chicken's cavity and set the chicken and can on the grid, using the drumsticks to support it (like a tripod). ...roast for approximately 1 1/2 hours (if it is a 4 pound or so roaster). . . good stuff .. .[p]side note. ..i'm not sure that the brand of beer matters that much. . .if you can tell the difference between a beer butt chicken made with blue moon vs. budweiser, you are a better man than me (just my opinion here). ... save the expensive beer to drink. ...

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,667
    Matt in the STL,
    do what max says and drink the blue moon. i use whatever someone left at the house or gingerale. i like the gingerale better

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • fishlessman,
    LOL . .. what i usually do is take a couple of coke cans out of the recycle bin, cut the tops off and split one beer between the two cans (its more than enough) . ..also, cutting the tops off makes it easier to insert the cans in the chickens as you can 'pinch' the top of the can for easier insertion (i know, i'm just inviting commnetary from stump or stike or dos huevos here). . .i will also vary sometimes and use white wine instead of beer (hey, it works good for turkey). . .so definitely try different liquid refreshments.. . .i've been meaning to try some tequilla sometime but havent' gotten to that yet ...also, i alwasy do at least two chickens at a time, one for dinner and one for the best chicken salad ever (tsunami spin chicken makes for FANTASTIC chicken salad)

• mad max beyond eggdome,[p]Thanks for the reply! I'm sure I can't tell the difference between the 2 I just thought I'd give it a try. What do you think about getting a chicken sitter??? Does it make a difference one way or another? If not, I would prefer to spend $10-20 on one just to eliminate the possibility of tipping. Is 1 1/2 hrs. long enough to give the bird that nice crisp outer skin?

• Matt in the STL,
    gotcha on the beer. . .. i have a couple of chicken sitters. ..they make life a lot easier, but they aren't necessary .. .when i do four chickens at once, i have two on the sitters (which hold a beer can in them) and two just on the cans. ..that way they support each other. .. . so you can do without them, its up to you .. .. 1 1/2 hours for average roasters is usually sufficient. ...if you want crispy skin, let the temps go up to the 400s for the last fifteen minutes or so to help. .. .or you can even do these direct on a raised grid if you want (i don't but i know others that do) . ..HTH

• As an ex-chemist I have a little mistrust for whatever plastic liners might be used on/in cans these days. I have a cheap ($2.99) vertical roaster I use. One of those things that is a little round metal tray with two loops of metal going up for the chicken to sit on. It's all "non-stick" though it helps to throw it in some soapy water when it's still hot.[p]For recipes ... I've tried a lot. Just putting the bird in the egg and cooking it works pretty good. ;-). I've sprinkled on rubs, slid garlic chunks under the skin, brined it, and marinaded in hard apple cider. The hard cider (with garlic and olive oil) was probably best ... a plain old "egged" chicken is good too.[p]One thing that I needed to learn was to rely on my electronic thermometer and not open the egg! For my medium I put the therm probe in the middle of the breast and cook at 350F until the chicken hits 190F. I guess I could take it off sooner, but I don't like it too moist. With a whole chicken (weight 3-5 lbs?) I don't seem to run a risk of drying them out.
  • odograph,[p]I appreciate the help! Where do you stick the thermometer in the bird???

• mad max beyond eggdome,[p]Thanks for the advice! I'm 28 and just bought my egg in July so if I ask a lot of questions I apologize. Thanks again!!!
  • Matt in the STL ,
    hey, no apologies necessary ... . ask away. .... thats how we all learn .. . . let us know how it turns out. . ..

• Matt in the STL,[p]Here is a link to a sitter I bought -
    http://www.barbecue-store.com/oldsmokeybeercanchickenholder.htm
    only I bought it at Wally World for about 3-4 bucks.
    It can be used with or without a can. I also found out
    that Coors cans are slightly taller than Bud cans.
    One other thing is that you should close off the top
    of the chicken with a tater or small onion to prevent
    the moist, hot air from escaping inside the bird as it
    cooks.

[ul][li]Sitter[/ul]
  • TideJoe
    TideJoe Posts: 31
    Matt in the STL,[p]Drink half the can of beer.... pour a couple table spoons of seasoning in the half remaining.... coat outside of chicken with the same seasoning (whatever you like on chicken) and cook at 275-280F till done... usually takes 2-3 hours.
  • Matt in the STL,[p]Get a 6 pack (or 12 pack) of your favorite beer. Stick it in the freezer until it reaches 32.5 degrees. Then put it in the fridge. Take one can/bottle out and start drinking it. In the mean time, prep your chicken with whatever spices or rubs you want. Set the chicken up using one of those vertical roaster things if you want or just throw it on the grid and leave it there how ever it lands, cook at 350 until done. When your first beer is empty, get another one, repeat until beer is gone.
  • egret
    egret Posts: 4,168
    scole,
    That sounds like my kind of recipe! I have a little problem with putting super-heated aluminum inside my food while it's cooking anyway......

• They say to hit the "thickest part" of the breast. I insert the temp probe downward, from 11 o'clock maybe, going in deep but trying to stay 1/4" or 1/3" from the bone. It's hard to explain in text, but I hope that helps.

• chicken.jpg
    <p />Speaking of age (Doh!) I actually have a picture on-line.

[ul][li]my blogn entry on egged chickens[/ul]
  • Sigmore
    Sigmore Posts: 621
    Matt in the STL,
    Read Dr BBQ's book. Loose the can. Keep the spanek.

• Matt in the STL,
    Here is one I use when I have all the kids over.[p][p]Hope this link thing works.

[ul][li]http://www.drunkchicken.com/index.shtml[/ul]