Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

DigiQ or CyberQ?

Options
Making my Christmas list and decided I really want a pit controller.  Not that I don't enjoy finessing my egg to a good cook, but as most...a busy lifestyle says a little help would be appreciated.  I've got a friend who swears by his DigiQ, but hasn't experienced a CyberQ.  I am practically married to my phone, so thinking Cyber may be worth the extra $100?  Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• bcsnave
    bcsnave Posts: 1,009
    Options

A friend from this site let me borrow his Cyber Q and it is pretty slick to be able to adjust pit and meat temps from you device.

I opted for the DigiQ. The $100 extra didn't make any difference to me but in actuality..a pit controller is "set it and forget it". I set the Digi Q and with the ramp down the food never over cooks.

You can't go wrong with either but..if you think you want a CyberQ...just buy it. You're not going to retire early by saving $100 

The Dude..a Mini and a Large Egg..a DigiQ DX (BGE Green)..some Cast Iron...a Thermapen.............and an Ol' Fashion

_____________________________________________________________________________

Glenbeulah, WI

• Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,364
    Options
    CyberQ - remote control is cool B-)
    Jacksonville FL
  • flemster
    flemster Posts: 269
    Options
    I like my IQ120...versatile, reliable.... Remote control is not on my must have list...
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------

Keywords: Gator, Nashvegas, LBGE, Looftlighter, Thermapen in Racing Green (faster than the red one!), PSWOO2, Spider with CI, IQ120
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    I just feel unless you are a comp or catering cook the cyber is overkill. I get it the features are cool, but how often do you adjust your target temps? I might bump things up near the end, sometimes. Usually you set the temps and leave it to do its thing.
  • radamo
    radamo Posts: 373
    Options
    Saw this thread and smiled since I am doing a butt today and was thinking how nice it would be to have a controller.  Just looked again at the options and thinking that the DigiQ would fill the bill nicely.
    Long Island, NY
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,364
    Options
    Both work great. I just like to be able to monitor and make adjustments remotely. Want to know how an overnight cook is going? Just pick up your IPad or phone off the night stand and look. Need to take off and do things a few hours? Keep an eye on it remotely from wherever your at. Bad weather outside? Monitor everything from your favorite chair watching the game or from the local bar down the street. CyberQ just adds more options and those cost more, just need to figure out if you would use them and have the extra coin for the cost.
    Jacksonville FL
  • bigalsworth
    Options
    I'm in the same position.  I think I'm going with the cyberq, its cold outside and I want to go out there as little as possible.  Also the extra food probes are nice.
    Large BGE
    BBQ Guru DigiQ II

Martensville, Saskatchewan Canada
  • klosurdo
    Options
    I have the Cyber Q and love it. There are also a bunch of different apps you can download to work with it.
  • CharleyR
    CharleyR Posts: 103
    Options
    Your post was very timely for me, as I've been thinking about the same thing. After reading the responses, I think I'm in the CyberQ camp since I like to do over nighters and like to keep an eye on developments. Makes me feel like I'm the one in control, even though I'm not.
    Large BGE 2013; Mini Max 2015; Adj Rig; DigiQ
    Ample supply of bourbon and cigars!
    Naperville, IL
  • stv8r
    stv8r Posts: 1,127
    Options
    Thanks for the input.  I'm leaning towards the cyber, as it would be nice to be able to leave the house a bit and still monitor/adjust my temps.
  • bweekes
    bweekes Posts: 725
    Options
    Lots of content on this topic already posted under separate threads. Here's a quick search result.

Ajax, ON Canada
    (XL BGE, MED BGE, La Caja China #2, and the wife's Napoleon gasser)
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I never understood the fascination with remote monitoring or the "need" for remote control. I have a DigiQ and when I wake up in the morning after putting on a butt the night before (and getting a good night's sleep), I don't even go outside to look until I think it should be done. Would I look at my phone when I woke up at 7 if I had a CyberQ or Stoker? Probably. Do I miss not being able to? Not at all. Last time I cooked a butt, I got up at 7, but didn't even look until about 10. Pit was at 250°, meat was almost done. Haven't ruined a cook yet.

And having a graph showing the progression of meat and pit temps or the length of the plateau over a 14-8 hour cook holds no fascination for me. When I put it on, the meat is cold and the pit is at 250°. When I take it off, the meat is not cold and the pit is still at 250. That's all I need to know, The reason I bought a controller in the first place was so I could feel comfortable about putting the meat on and totally ignoring it until it was supposed to be done. The DigiQ lets me do just that. There was no CyberQ when I bought mine; just the DigiQ or the Stoker. The decision was easy.

All that said, if I had it to do it today, I probably wouldn't buy either. I don't use it for anything but long low and slows and these days, I just don't do enough of them to justify a controller. 

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• dstearn
    dstearn Posts: 1,702
    Options
    stv8r said:
    Making my Christmas list and decided I really want a pit controller.  Not that I don't enjoy finessing my egg to a good cook, but as most...a busy lifestyle says a little help would be appreciated.  I've got a friend who swears by his DigiQ, but hasn't experienced a CyberQ.  I am practically married to my phone, so thinking Cyber may be worth the extra $100?  Any input would be greatly appreciated!

I prefer the Digi Q controller as it is solidly built and has less that can go wrong with it. The more features the more complexity and the more that can go wrong. The LCD on the CyberQ will slow down in cold temperatures where as I have cooked in 19 degree weather with the DigiQ and the display works fine in extreme cold.Of course if you are using your phone that will not matter as your iPhone will display the readings for you. I just purchased the magnetic flex holder and have it postioned so I can see the unit through the patio door that goes out to our deck. Being able to display and make changes without having to go outside would be nice but at that time I could not justify the added expense.I could see at some point purchasing the CyberQ so that I could use the DigiQ as a back up in the future.