Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lid Adjustment

Options
I need to adjust my lid a little, mostly pushing the dome forward.  I have watched this video, which makes no sense for moving the dome forward unless there is something wrong with my hinge.  I loosen those back bolts, hold the hinge forward with an adjustable wrench, move the dome forward, tighten bolts, let go of the hinge, and the dome moves backwards as I would expect it to.

Gregg
Large BGE Owner since December of 2013!
Marietta, GA

Comments

• DoofusOfTheDay
    Options
    About 3:14 into the video is the part I am talking about.
    Gregg
    Marietta, GA
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    Options
    ... I loosen those back bolts,
    hold the hinge forward with an adjustable wrench,
    move the dome forward,
    tighten bolts,
    let go of the hinge,
    and the dome moves backwards as I would expect it to.

:))  You just saved me an hour!  And a lot of frustration....

LBGE/Maryland
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    If you can call 228-627-5400. Will talk you right through it my friend.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• bettysnephew
    bettysnephew Posts: 1,188
    Options
    DoofusOfTheDay
    Looking at your picture, are the rings on your Egg stainless or plated? I have only seen black over the years and wondered if a change was made.
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • Bojangles
    Bojangles Posts: 118
    Options
    not that this post helps much, but I just wanted to point out that any video that starts with the word "provocative" and plays that music, but then ends like that...... is kind of a let down.

I thought for sure at any minute the lonely housewife and the big green egg serviceman were gonna show up.
    Large BGE  |  Blackstone  |  Custom Dísco  |  PolyScience Discovery
    --------------------------------------------
    my Big Green Egg has saved many-a-Sunday that my Miami Dolphins attempted to ruin.
    --------------------------------------------
  • DoofusOfTheDay
    Options
    SGH said:
    If you can call 228-627-5400. Will talk you right through it my friend.
    I just might do that.  I might also just drive over to the Mother Ship, other side of town from me, since I've never been there and pick their brains about it.
    Gregg
    Marietta, GA
  • DoofusOfTheDay
    Options
    Okay this is silly, there must be a way to adjust the lid.  I went to the dealer where I got my egg and asked how to adjust the lid forward.  If you look at pic you can see it needs to come forward.  He said to loosent the upper and lower bands(the 2 I circled in pic) and simply move the lid forward then retighten the bands.  I failed to see how that would do anything, but said okay will try.  It did nothing, as I expected.  

The problem I think is that the hinge needs to be adjusted so it pushes the lid forward.  In my pic if I could push the top part of hinge forward(green arrow), then I'd be all set, but don't see how to do this.  I've watched the video(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71Jplxn4yAg) where the fella cuts a couple of washers and inserts them in the top bolts of hinge to push the lid forward.
    That would work, but come on there has to be a supported way of pushing the lid forward.  I don't think the Mothership would approve of inserting parts of washers to adjust the lid.

Maybe I should drive over to the Mothership and talk to them...
    Gregg
    Marietta, GA
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    If you figure it out, let us know. Same issue.
  • CANMAN1976
    CANMAN1976 Posts: 1,593
    Options
    Same issue here but it seals tight and doesn't cause any issues than maybe some slight gasket charring from the underbite. I rather live with that than messing with it in the cold and snow. Had this problem for years and given up on it!
    Hows ya gettin' on, me ol ****

Kippens.Newfoundland and Labrador. (Canada).
  • RiverDoc
    RiverDoc Posts: 572
    Options
    Please let us know how it goes. I think a lot of people have this issue I have watched and watched this video. I did try the washer trick, even though the theory makes sense it didn't work.
    -Todd
    Franklin N.C. LBGE and a SBGE
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    Count me in with previous 3 posts.
    Seattle, WA
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options
    Yes, DOTD, please bring us u p to date with whatever you learn.
    Much appreciated.
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • peggyc
    peggyc Posts: 54
    Options
    I have the same problem!
  • XC242
    XC242 Posts: 1,208
    Options
    There's got to be someone on this forum who can explain why this happens.
    LBGE (still waitin' for my free T-Shirt), DIgiQ DX2 (In Blue, cause it's the fastest), Heavy Duty Kick Ash Basket, Mc Farland, WI. :glasses:  B)
    If it wasn't for my BGE I'd have no use for my backyard...
  • DoofusOfTheDay
    Options
    Well my daughter and I drove over to the Mother Ship.  I talked to the friendly lad behind the desk and he said here's what you need to do to fix that under-bite.  Loosen the bands and make sure that they are real close to the edge of the ceramic, like you see in my pics.  Also crank those bolts tight until the bolt is bending.  Okay, did that, and made a slight difference, nothing to write home about.  Also included is pic of how it looks now.  I think they need an adjustable hinge, but what do I know.
    Gregg
    Marietta, GA
  • Monty77
    Monty77 Posts: 667
    Options
    I have same issue as well, tried all fixes with no permanent solution.  I will agree with others above, that my egg still seals properly, but I would like it lined up perfect.  
    Large BGE 2011, XL BGE 2015, Mini Max 2015, and member of the "North of the Border Smokin Squad" Canadian Outdoor Chef from London, Ontario, Canada

https://www.flickr.com/photos/monty77/

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,893
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Monty77 said:
    I have same issue as well, tried all fixes with no permanent solution.  I will agree with others above, that my egg still seals properly, but I would like it lined up perfect.  

have either of you measured the diameter of your base and dome front to back and side to side and compared all the measurements? With older eggs it was not uncommon that either the base or dome or even both were out of round. If so then they will never match up perfect. This can still happen to newly made eggs. Until fired the clay is very pialable and if bumped or mishandled then imperfections in shape will become permanent during firing.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • DoofusOfTheDay
    Options
    RRP said:
    Monty77 said:

have either of you measured the diameter of your base and dome front to back and side to side and compared all the measurements? With older eggs it was not uncommon that either the base or dome or even both were out of round. If so then they will never match up perfect.
    Mine's only a year old and the top and bottom are the same size.  Same amount of overbite on the back that is underbite on the front.  Sides are about perfect.
    Gregg
    Marietta, GA
  • Monty77
    Monty77 Posts: 667
    Options
    Not a bad suggestion @RRP, I got a new base this past March under warranty, so maybe the two are not quite a match?  Will check that out.  

My old base is now a flower pot in the yard, so its not far away to measure up either  
    Large BGE 2011, XL BGE 2015, Mini Max 2015, and member of the "North of the Border Smokin Squad" Canadian Outdoor Chef from London, Ontario, Canada

https://www.flickr.com/photos/monty77/

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    I used to worry about the underbite. Even tried to fix it a few times. Then I realized that coming off the egg was tasting pretty good.

So I gave up on the underbite. Doesn't seem to affect a darned thing.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.