Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Thoughts on Moose Bone Handle

For some reason Moose bone is as expensive in Texas as it is heavy. What are your thoughts of cutting this peace to be the handle on my Mini Max? imageimage
Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

Comments

• Get it branded with you name.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    I vote yes... Only if we get our call you "Moose" from now on.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • I'll take the meat that was once on there

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Honestly @mickey i don't think i like it but if you do then go for it i say.
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • anton
    anton Posts: 1,813
    I am a fan of customizing, go for it, you could do a lot with that piece.
    :)>-
     Using a MBGE,woo/w stone,livin' in  Hayward California," The Heart Of The Bay "
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    @Mickey‌
    I would do it in a second. I say go for it.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,629
    I'm digging it Mick. BTW how is the homemade knife coming along?

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• I like it. Badass
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    shtgunal3 said:
    I'm digging it Mick. BTW how is the homemade knife coming along?

It's coming. Started from the stock it's laying on now. Making the liners and boasters now. image
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• shtgunal3
    Looking good.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• Mickey
    shtgunal3 said:
    Looking good.

Thank you. Hope it is done by Thanksgiving but not looking good.

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    If you only have the one, would it work on the new knife? Either way, I'd like it. Not a fan of names and such on handles though. I already know my name. :) 

LR did this one for me. My only request was "a knothole or two". I love it!!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Mine says a lot about me.

Flint, Michigan
  • Mickey
    edited November 2014
    If you only have the one, would it work on the new knife? Either way, I'd like it. Not a fan of names and such on handles though. I already know my name. :) 

LR did this one for me. My only request was "a knothole or two". I love it!!

image The three eggs out there all have LR handles and I have one that I pulled off an egg I sold. Have sent Mike the pics to get his thinking on this. No name will be on it.

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,671
    i like it. im waiting for the dog to drag one home, he brought back 2 leg bones from a moose this summer and a bunch of deer antlers and a deer skull so im hopeful for a moose antler for the wall
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    I think it's deplorable to use the bone of an animal that was inhumanely killed for nothing but sport!
    Dunedin, FL
  • Mickey
    yzzi said:
    I think it's deplorable to use the bone of an animal that was inhumanely killed for nothing but sport!

I am told that the supplier of this 7" bone stated in federal open court this moose was dispatched while caught trying to molest a very young moose'et. You do the crime, you pay the price.

• Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Oh come on Mickey.  That looks like the base of an antler ... and a drop at that ... the SOB is probably still roaming the woods doing perverted things.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    Mickey said:
    yzzi said:

I am told that the supplier of this 7" bone stated in federal open court this moose was dispatched while caught trying to molest a very young moose'et. You do the crime, you pay the price.
    okay, then.... All Good, carry on. 
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • I think it would look great and I might do something similar myself.

• Mickey
    Oh come on Mickey.  That looks like the base of an antler ... and a drop at that ... the SOB is probably still roaming the woods doing perverted things.

I will bet 100 bucks you are correct ( you caught that, right).

• yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    Mickey said:
    yzzi said:

Haha, well that was short lived. I think it's pretty good looking.
    Dunedin, FL
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207

Mine says a lot about me.

To me it says you have a very sophisticated sense of humor......

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    Speaking of fingers and bones and handles here's my favorite winter coat zipper grabber for when I have heavy bulky gloves on. 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Sammi
    Sammi Posts: 598
    Not sure how you can tell that it is a shed from a moose but if you can make it to the GWN I can fill your boots with moose or deer antlers.
    FYI there's an awful smell that comes off them when cutting!

Just thawing an eight pointer in the garage today in prep for skinning. I like the antler handle idea and might give it a try. Any tips or tricks for making them?
    Sudbury, Ontario
  • Mickey

• shtgunal3
    I like it Mickey. Nice job.

• Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    edited November 2014
    Sammi said:
    Not sure how you can tell that it is a shed from a moose ...
    The nodules point towards it being the base of the antler ... you can see where the first blade has been cut off near the top.  Mickey has hidden the base a little in the picture ... he'd have to tell us if it's cut off flat or slightly rounded which would suggest it's a drop.

That and the idea of a drop leaves the perverted moose free to continue with his fun ...

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• Mickey
    Sammi said:
    Not sure how you can tell that it is a shed from a moose ...
    The nodules point towards it being the base of the antler ... you can see where the first blade has been cut off near the top.  Mickey has hidden the base a little in the picture ... he'd have to tell us if it's cut off flat or slightly rounded which would suggest it's a drop.

That and the idea of a drop leaves the perverted moose free to continue with his fun ...

Directly under the nodules o sanded flat. You can see bottom L & R where cuts were made before I got it. Sawed off about 3" on ar side much curved. Can tell you it was/is heavy.