Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza

Options
Hi I am new to this forum.I am looking for a good recipe to make pizza. Thank you for your help

Comments

• theyolksonyou
    Options
    Welcome to the nut house! I would suggest using the search forum on pizza and deciding what kind you want to make. Thin crust, pan, style... There is a ton of information here, but asking that question will get you a whole bunch of very different answers. Another important thing to consider is what is your set up? Egg size, stone, etc... I know I didn't answer the question, but I think if you refine it some, you'll get a better answer from the group.

Most importantly, after you try cook it, post it! And, pics or it didn't happen!
  • peggyc
    peggyc Posts: 54
    Options
    How can I search the forum? I see so many threads.I cannot find a search box.
  • CincyTiki
    Options
    This is a great thread to start with http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/987401/x/p1 You might also like this guide to pizza from BGE http://issuu.com/biggreenegg/docs/pizza_online_pub_final Welcome and good egging
    Enjoying life in Cincinnati, Ohio - Large BGE & MiniMax BGE
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Should be on the right just above the "new discussion" button. Also, I would add that for thin crust I use the dough recipe on the BGE website. Simple and works well for me. One tip you'll see is to put your cheese on last to keep from over browning other toppings.
  • peggyc
    Options
    I use a mobile phone and I cannot find a search function. Thank you for the screenshot! I did not expect so many replies so fast :)
  • peggyc
    Options
    I will try google
  • onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    Options
    scroll left top - big SEARCH box...

There are lots of pizza dough recipes available. 

I have an XL, start the fire, fill up the fire box, then plate-setter legs up, grate then have 3 fire bricks that I put the pizza stone on top of that. Vents are wide open (usually remove the cap and DFMT - that black cast-iron cap) Get the temp stabilized at 650-700 for at least 30 minutes before putting on the first pie.  I use put the dough on the parchment side of the new Reynolds parchment/foil until the toppings are just about done, then pull it out to crisp up the bottom - without burning it.

I use the same sauce recipe I use for meatballs  (EVOO, garlic, peeled plum tomatoes - crushed, s&p - and maybe a bit of oregano/basil).  Very good. 

• theyolksonyou
    Options
    Mobile site is lacking, no doubt. I'm sure others will jump in. I use dough as described. Get the egg up to 600 for at least 30 min with stone on to make sure stone is hot and smoke is clean. In the meantime I build the pizza on parchment or the peel with cornmeal for release (if no parchment). Onto the stone for about 5-6 minutes and presto! Great pizza! You'll get more, better help soon. Enjoy! This is a great place to get help 24/7
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    BTW if you use parchment you can pull after about a min or it will burn at that temp. Also set up is indirect plate setter legs up, grid then stone.
  • peggyc
    Options
    I have a platesetter but I don't have a stone. I will bake directly on the plate setter.
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    In that case go legs down. May have to really watch the bottom so it doesn't burn.
  • dldawes1
    dldawes1 Posts: 2,208
    Options
     peggyc  see PAGMANS  Pizza Dough Recipe thread....just posted.

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !! 

• theyolksonyou
    Options
    @Grillmagic‌ cooks a lot of pizza as well. Check some of his posts.
  • peggyc
    Options
    I found pagmans recipe, it looks good but I just have regular bread floor. I asked him if it will work anyway but he seems to say that the texture is better with the 00 flour. Grillmagics pies are looking good but ai don't see any dough recipe. I tried the recipe on the back of the yeast bag but I don't like the fermented taste and smell of the dough.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Welcome, Peggy. What type of pizza are you looking for? NY, Napoletana, Chicago Deep Dish, Pan? I would definitely suggest a pizza stone and not a cheap, thin one. My BGE stone (5/8" thick) has been thru 900° cooks without cracking. And BTW, I hate parchment paper! Wooden peel with a pinch of semolina lets the pie slide off just fine.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• peggyc
    Options
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    Dang @Carolina Q‌ That's a nice collection of pies and recipes! That pan pizza looks great.
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • Carolina Q
    edited November 2014
    Options
    You're welcome, Peggy. And thanks, blind99. 

After I posted  that, I decided to mix up the dough for the pan pie for tomorrow. It's done and in a covered mixing bowl as we speak! The recipe makes enough for two 10" pies, but they are quite thick (pics below). Two 10" pans total about 158 square inches. I have a half sheet pan that is about 204 sq inches. I think I am going to throw the whole mess of dough into the sheet pan and let it spread out to fill it. Should still be plenty thick. I plan to find out tomorrow night. :) 

I haven't done a pizza on the egg in about two years so no worries about the sheet pan. Fits my oven nicely. The only one of the pies I posted above that was egged was the NY pie. 

BTW, the NY style pizza sauce linked to in the NY dough recipe is outstanding! I use it on NY, Chicago and pan pizzas. The Napoletana pies get San Marzano tomatoes with just a tiny pinch of salt. Followed by a drizzle of evoo and some fresh basil.

Here are the other pan pics (same pie as above)...

imageimageimage

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• peggyc
    Options
    Why not cook on your egg BBQ?
  • peggyc
    Options
    I was going to do pagmans recipe but I only have bread flour and he is not answering. I am going to do your NY recipe. I just don't understand why you don't bake it on your bbq
  • Carolina Q
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Peggy, I did them on the egg for 2-3 years. It's more of a PITA so I decided to try them inside. I honestly don't notice any difference between pies done on the egg and those from my oven. Except the oven is a LOT easier. 

My oven is also a freak of nature and will go to 725° if I want. Don't know why, but it will. The controls say 550° (or maybe it's only 500, I forget), but they are out of calibration apparently. Those two Napoletana pies were done in my oven at 725° per my IR thermometer. The others, a more normal 450-500°.

Try them in both places. See which YOU prefer.  

Oh, one more thing. When you make the dough, take a look at these videos on how to ball and then how to shape the pies. If you make ROUND dough balls, you are almost guaranteed to wind up with a round pizza. As if round tastes better. :) And be sure to take the dough out of the fridge a couple of hours before shaping.

Making dough balls...

Shaping a pizza...

Good luck with your first attempt!

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• dldawes1
    dldawes1 Posts: 2,208
    Options
    @ CAROLINA Q ...I think I've fallen in love with pizza all over again...!!!!!  Awesome looking food !!!

I've only did a Papa Murphy's Pizza on my egg. Bought made at Papa Murphy's then brought home and egged. It was awesome...oh yeah, then I did a couple of desert pizzas, apple and blueberry. 

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !! 

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,026
    Options
    peggyc said:

I have a platesetter but I don't have a stone. I will bake directly on the plate setter.

@peggyc You're going to need a pizza stone. The plate setter won't work for pizza directly on it. Your crust will burn and be done wayyyyy before your top/toppings even has a chance to cook. Definitely need a pizza stone 5/8” thick like Carolina Q mentioned. Anything smaller has a good chance of cracking/exploding. (I know from experience. Especially Pampered Chef stones)

"The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    edited November 2014
    Options

Stone

Buy dough from your favorite local pizza joint

Make you own sauce and but from your pizza joint

No parchment - dust with corn meal instead

Fresh toppings

Good cheeses 

This was one of my first.....

New Albany, Ohio 

• mlamb01
    mlamb01 Posts: 210
    Options
    I've been at this a few months, and here is what I have learned:

1) Make your own dough, or buy a doughball from your favorite pizza joint.  If you have a 9 cup or larger food processor, I highly encourage you to make your own dough.

2) Get a food scale.  This will help tremendously in keeping portion sizes consistent, and is very valuable for making your own dough.  Makes measuring out ingredients much simpler if you go by weight and just dump everything in one big bowl.  Less dishes to wash!

3) Get a cast iron pizza stone.  They can be used as a griddle on the egg for pancakes, bacon, and such in addition to pizza duty.  Not as prone to cracking either.

4) Start out cooking pizza inside, in your oven, at 500 degrees, on the topmost rack on the cast iron pizza pan.  Its much easier to get consistent results in the beginning.  Let the oven and cast iron pan preheat for an hour before cooking the first pizza.  Rotate halfway thru the cook.  My cook times are about 12 minutes for a 12" pizza using 13.3 oz of dough.

5) Get a pizza peel.  Makes transferring the pizza onto and off of the stone much easier.

6) Cutout a circle of parchment paper in the size of pizza that you want, put it on your peel, then build your pizza on the parchment paper. No cornmeal or extra flour needed this way. Pull the parchment paper out when you rotate the pizza during the cook.

7) Flour the dough, not your counter.  When it comes time to stretch out the doughball, pour some flour into a large flat plate.  Make handprints in the plate, then pickup your doughball, and lightly place it in the plate of flour.  Flip it over to coat the other side.  Lightly rub your floured hands over the doughball.  Now stretch it on a clean, bare counter.  Room temp dough stretches much better than fridge temp dough.

8) Get a rocker knife.  Keeps your toppings in place on the pizza when you cut it.

9) Most important - take notes.  After each pizza cook, write about what you did, how it worked out, and what you would do differently next time.  Before the next cook, review your notes.

One the best sites I have found for research is the pizza labs section on the serious eats website, that @Carolina Q already mentioned.  I really like the NY style and pan style pizzas that they tell you how to make on there.  The NY style sauce recipe is excellent.  Cold fermenting your home made dough in the fridge for 3+ days really is the way to go.
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options
    This is what I use to cut pizza slices. The pizza on the pictures is from a local pizza joint...

The fornobravo recipe is the one I use.

imageimage