Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Scallops Supreme

Options
Wise One
Wise One Posts: 2,645
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Thanks to Spin, djm5x9, and Cat. (Sorry BlueSteel, I didn't read your post until this morning.) I nuked 8 slices of bacon for about 5 minutes. Then I had my co-worker bring out the scallops she had purchased and marinated overnight. They were the tiny bay scallops so she proceeded to wrap a third of a piece of bacon around two or three of these itty-bitty scallops and then spear the whole thing together with water soaked toothpicks. We then put them on a seafood grill and put them on the Green One at 450 degrees for about three minutes and then tossed them about (they were too small to turn)and cooked for another three minutes. We then pulled them of and enjoyed what were the best bacon-wrapped scallops the four of us had eaten. They were great! Next time, I'm going to try BlueSteel's suggestion of not pre-cooking the bacon and wrapping it around BIG scallops and cooking a bit longer. BlueSteel promises that the bacon protects the scallop and will not let the scallop overcook.

Comments

• sprinter
    sprinter Posts: 1,188
    Options
    Wise One,[p]These sound awesome. My wifes uncle does what he calls Devils on Horseback where he wraps shrimp in bacon and grills them with some hot sauce on them, not sure if that s a common name for that but they sure are good. Scallops wrapped in bacon are on my must try list now. Thanks for the idea.[p]Troy
  • J Appledog
    J Appledog Posts: 1,046
    Options
    sprinter,
    I marinate the shrimp in jerk & oj concentrate & a splsh of Myers's rum & then wrap them in bacon. JCA

• sprinter
    sprinter Posts: 1,188
    Options
    J Appledog,[p]OK, now this is just making me hungry. Those sound great too. My wife has a shrimp recipe, though not on the egg, where she cooks about a pound of them in 3 sticks of melted butter, 3 lemons sliced, and some other spices. They are peel and eat type but they are heavenly. Artery clogging no doubt but still heavenly.[p]Troy
  • KennyG
    KennyG Posts: 949
    Options
    Julie,[p]And here I thought that concoction was for pork. I did shrimp last nite marinaded in Wishbone Italian, jerk(house brand), honey, and a splash of Myers and worcestershire. I marinaded myself in PBR. hehehe[p]K~G
  • The sea scallops are definitely the way to go.[p]Mark

• Lumpy Bob
    Options
    Wise One,
    A great variation on scallops is to wrap either a wedge of fresh pineapple or a smoked oyster with the bacon and then egg it. Mushrooms also work very well. This some serious eating for bacon lovers. Anything with bacon, old Nike's for example, can be very tender when cooked low and slow!!!

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Options
    Lumpy Bob,[p]I smoked a brisket flat (5 lbs.) this past weekend that had no fat on it (trimmed by the butcher :-{). I rubbed it then cooked for 9 hours @ 220F. I added 2 lbs of slab bacon over it and cooked another 8 1/2 hours to doneness.[p]The bacon was mostly rendered but needed a bit of microwaves to finish. We ate fantastic smokey BLTs that night and great brisket the next![p]Spin

• Lumpy Bob
    Options
    Spin,
    Now that is a great idea, use the bacon for lubrication on the brisket and then as the main course. I'll try that.