Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mayo Throwdown

Taste test done by Serious Eats.

http://www.seriouseats.com/2013/08/taste-test-the-best-mayonnaise.html

They must have had a bunch of Yankee judges for Dukes to come in second! LoL
:))
Duncan, SC

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    Thank you!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,671
    yankees eat hellmans and never on asparagus, who does that
    :)) hellmans in coleslaw and on turkey sandwiches and tomato sandwiches, miracle whip for salami sandwiches and my favorite spam/goober on an onion roll. add salt to helmans and you have dukes
    :-\"
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Interesting, thanks for sharing. Kewpie is the only choice when making sushi (California Rolls) or any number of some other Japanese dishes (Okonomiyaki), but not our favourite on much else. 
    We never see Dukes. Hellman's and Kirkland are our usuals. 

Kirkland must be a big seller, given Costco's market share - wonder who makes it? 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,671
    and why no cains in the list, does everyone hate newengland mayo as much as our beloved patriots
    :))
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    edited November 2014
    Fish, I guess Cains isn't widely available outside NE and didn't qualify for their comparison. :) Kenji must know about it, he went to school in Cambridge (MIT). But you're probably right... especially about the Pats. :D

Serious Eats is in NYC. They can't even BUY Duke's there! It's a Southern thang. :)

I'm not familiar with half the mayos on their list. Whole Foods, TJs, Best Foods, Kewpie, Blue Plate? I mean, I know of WF and TJs of course, but rarely shop there and have never seen their mayo. The others I've never even heard of.

Does anyone actually eat Miracle Whip?

Headed to the store this afternoon. I have Duke's already. Will buy small jars of Hellman's and Cain's and do my own test. But I will NOT dip my asparagus in mayo!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• smokeyj
    smokeyj Posts: 340
    Hellman's is my favorite. Never saw Dukes mayo around my area. Kraft works in a pinch.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    No Duke's here, also. Think I've seen Cain's. Mostly use Hellman's. Wish I knew how to make my own mayo. Understand its not so hard, but my few tries have been disgusting messes.

My MIL always used Miracle Whip, tho' she only called it salad dressing. Was strange when making cold cut sandwiches, and she would say "Here's some salad dressing for the bread."
  • This is not my belief but it was how I was raised. It's funny couse it's so absurd. I don't remember where I first heard it but it was common knowledge that only black people eat miracle whip. I wish I could remember where my young mind first heard that. I do know that my 94 year old grandmother is pretty racist.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited November 2014
    I'm not familiar with half the mayos on their list. Whole Foods, TJs, Best Foods, Kewpie, Blue Plate? I mean, I know of WF and TJs of course, but rarely shop there and have never seen their mayo. The others I've never even heard of.

@Carolina_Q - Best Foods is Hellman's east of the Rockies (or so it says on our jar in the fridge)

Does anyone actually eat Miracle Whip? I certainly hope not!

Kewpie is usually at the Asian supermarkets - it is that Mayo in California Rolls. 

Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    This is not my belief but it was how I was raised. It's funny couse it's so absurd. I don't remember where I first heard it but it was common knowledge that only black people eat miracle whip. I wish I could remember where my young mind first heard that. I do know that my 94 year old grandmother is pretty racist.
    Well I have a Vietnamese co-worker here that has a large jar of Miracle Whip. 

Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025

This is not my belief but it was how I was raised. It's funny couse it's so absurd.

I don't remember where I first heard it but it was common knowledge that only black people eat miracle whip. I wish I could remember where my young mind first heard that. I do know that my 94 year old grandmother is pretty racist.

Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    @Carolina_Q - Best Foods is Hellman's east of the Rockies (or so it says on our jar in the fridge)
    Kewpie is usually at the Asian supermarkets - it is that Mayo in California Rolls. 

Hellman's EAST of the Rockies is, umm, Hellman's :) I know because I am almost as far east of the Rockies as you can get without getting your feet wet! :)

I have a good Asian market here. If I remember to look next time, I'll check for Kewpie. Had to look up "California Roll" though. I ate sushi only once. About 5-6 years ago. It was good, but I haven't had any since.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Everyone loves the tangy zip of Miracle Whip!

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• Phatchris
    Phatchris Posts: 1,726
    Cains is used in a lot of tarter sauces, but I prefer Hellmans.
    500 Posts: 3,177
    gdenby said:
    ...Wish I knew how to make my own mayo. Understand its not so hard, but my few tries have been disgusting messes.
    Here is a homemade recipe I've used and had success with.  I added 2 tsp. cider vinegar and 1 tsp. sugar to give it more of a Duke's Mayonnaise copycat taste. I used Canola oil cause that's what I had on hand.  It's tastes very good, and worth the effort over store bought.

http://www.sisboomblog.com/2012/12/mayonnaise-recipe/
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757
    Hellmans is our staple, but got some Duke's from Walmart and like it.

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• PNWFoodie
    PNWFoodie Posts: 1,046
    gdenby said:
    Wish I knew how to make my own mayo. Understand its not so hard, but my few tries have been disgusting messes.

If you are used to store bought, homemade will taste entirely different at first. It also makes a huge difference depending on the oil you use.
    XL, JR, and more accessories than anyone would ever need near Olympia, WA
    Sandy